DIY Led Heat Sink For Algae Scrubber

Discussion in 'Equipment / DIY / Reviews' started by the cichlid kid, Mar 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. the cichlid kid

the cichlid kid Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Australia
    State:
    QLD
    Hello Reefugees,

I know you lot love your DIY so I'm hoping you may be able to help?

I'm was just doing an online search for the bits and pieces required to make my own algae turf scrubber. Basically looking to copy the same design as the SantaMonica ATS' (the hang on version). The part I'm struggling to find is a heat sink that is identical or similar to the ones they use.

http://www.santa-monica.cc/Heatsink-for-the-LEDs-on-all-HOG-scrubbers_p_24.html

I've looked on eBay and tried google for a local (Australian) source for these with not much luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Beau
  2. MagicJ

MagicJ Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,710
    Australia
    State:
    Tasmania
    Any idea on the rough dimensions of these? They look similar to the heat sinks used on some high power electronic parts, but only if they are reasonably small.
  3. the cichlid kid

the cichlid kid Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Australia
    State:
    QLD
    I don't know exactly but they would be approx 60mm x 40mm and I'm not sure on depth.
  4. the cichlid kid

the cichlid kid Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Australia
    State:
    QLD
  5. shaidas

shaidas Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Australia
    State:
    WA
  6. Sean81

Sean81 Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DavidS

DavidS The Resident Loony

Ratings:
    +1,616
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    I got a couple of cheapish thin and light ones on ebay, then rear mounted fans on them to cool. They were cooking LEDs within seconds without fans, but as soon as I put on 30mm fans, they were fine.
  8. MagicJ

MagicJ Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,710
    Australia
    State:
    Tasmania
    This would be a bit of a guess, but these LED's wouldn't need a lot of current going through them - maybe 300mA?? - so they shouldn't get very hot?
  9. shaidas

shaidas Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Australia
    State:
    WA

Good point.. Most of the DIY builds I have seen dont seem to use any. Specially the upflow types which use lights on only one side
  10. DavidS

Ratings:
    +1,616
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    Hahaha, you'd be surprised! (I was). The heatsinks I used were really, really lightweight, but got really hot quickly and the LEDs kept blowing. A couple of tiny fans made all the difference in the world. They get power from the same driver that runs the LEDs. Adding the fans has kept them practically cold with no real noise addition. The LEDs I'm using were rated at 500mA, but I dropped them down using my workbench power supply, and they still wound up too hot without cooling.
  11. MagicJ

MagicJ Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,710
    Australia
    State:
    Tasmania
  12. shaidas

shaidas Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Australia
    State:
    WA

Thats strange. What was the config mate ? Santa Monica does 4 -7 5 watts with just heat sinks and as far I can see the heat sinks are just straight aluminium, no fins. None of the other commercially available scrubbers have fans in them.
  13. DavidS

Ratings:
    +1,616
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    I wound up using drivers that run at 300mA by the time I put it on the tank. The fans run off the drivers as well - they use about 0.2w so they're not exactly putting much load on it.
    The LEDs are absolute cheap $h!t lol.
  14. DavidS

Ratings:
    +1,616
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    There are heatsinks and there are heatsinks. Fins are pretty useless you have air running over them, so without active cooling, there's no point in them using them. A solid chunk of aluminium would disperse a lot more heat than a light weight heatsink, but is obviously heavier.
    One of my build considerations was that appropriate magnets are bloody expensive - especially in the size required, so I needed to keep the weight to a minimum, so I used the smallest heatsinks I could get away with. The fans add literally a couple of grams, no real noise, and ensure that the whole thing produces no heat - which I'm a fan of this time of year. I could probably have avoided the issue by using heavier heatsinks.. but then, my other build consideration was to spend the least amount of money possible, so I wasn't going to risk going too heavy for the magnets I had, etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. the cichlid kid

the cichlid kid Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Australia
    State:
    QLD
    Thanks for all the help and feedback guys
  16. MagicJ

MagicJ Moderator

Ratings: