Reef Discussion

Which LED Brand are you running and for how long have you been running it ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I have a hodge podge of LEDs, DSunY, Ethereal, AI (Prime and Hydra 26/52)and Steve's LED in the RSM 130D. I also run the SUPAR CHINA black boxes over the sale runs.

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
I have a hodge podge of LEDs, DSunY, Ethereal, AI (Prime and Hydra 26/52)and Steve's LED in the RSM 130D. I also run the SUPAR CHINA black boxes over the sale runs.
Which ones have you been running the longest mate and any notable difference between the high end lights and the lesser known brands ?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I've been running the black boxes the longest and the Chinese are finally listening to us about controllability. I've only had a sporadic fan failure on those and they're easy to replace.

As for my favorite? It's a toss up between the Ethereal and the Hydras. Hydras are easier to program, their app is a lot easier to use, the Ethereal app is terrible when it decides to connect and allow you to program. My ritteri anemone LOVES the Ethereal, it hasn't moved and I think I have it at 90% for 2h at 10K for noon day sun. The Hydras seem to be growing corals better than the black boxes, but with 14 1m x 3m coral runs it gets expensive quickly to fit 14 runs with 2 Hydras each even at wholesale prices.

As for the DSunY units, all I can say is if you buy them you better hope you don't have an issue, their customer service after the sale with a problem is terrible. I've been running the DSunY units about 3 years and the LEDs are starting to go out. If they had a simple ramp up and ramp down timer they would be much better.

I do have a custom hi bay fixture on order with a customer that does nothing but lighting. It will be a single puck at 100w and 10,000k for my one concrete vat that is being used to try to breed tangs.