Reef Discussion

Riaan_Tas

Jan 6, 2012
Parkwood Qld
ah ok ...my bad then ....just seemed that there were a lot of only a or b can be right the rest don't read and are wrong \
Sorry then if I miss read all the comments

roamin

Nov 6, 2012
Vertex Illumina SR LED 260 = $2700

thats a huge amount of money to light a 4ft tank. not something i could ever afford within the next 10 years.

big difference between that and $500 for a reefbreeder to cover a 4ft tank. back to that budget conversation lol :)

Riaan_Tas

Jan 6, 2012
Parkwood Qld
ok .... so
GHL Mitras $3450 (3 units)
Illumagic blaze $2700 (2 x M90s)
Vertex Ilumina $3000 (3 x sr 260 300mm)
Radion pro $2700 (3 units)

Yes I know the IT2080 are cheaper but I do like the controllable options and yes bells and crap the others have

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
ok .... so
GHL Mitras $3450 (3 units)
Illumagic blaze $2700 (2 x M90s)
Vertex Ilumina $3000 (3 x sr 260 300mm)
Radion pro $2700 (3 units)

Yes I know the IT2080 are cheaper but I do like the controllable options and yes bells and crap the others have
All not a bad price for lighting a 6x2x2 think about the old days where halides would cost 2x that

roamin

Nov 6, 2012
what controllable options are you talking about?

DIY! I did my 6x2.5 with all the latest Cree leds for under a grand and it has more power than ill ever use.
but you dont get a fancy box with pictures with it and no fancy controller. surely those 2 options alone are worth the extra $2000 hahahahaha

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
DIY! I did my 6x2.5 with all the latest Cree leds for under a grand and it has more power than ill ever use.
Only good if you are handy at electronics I know heaps of users that have blown their diy units multiple times, all comes down to an appearance / performance etc, in saying that I have seen some awesome diy but they ended up costing the same as a vertex

roamin

Nov 6, 2012
its still got me stuffed to be honest how in this day and age how led's are so expensive, from a business point of view and ordering 1000's of leds at a time and making these lights and controllers just cant add up to the sort of money they charge, you will find most of the time there all made in china as well. so if bob at home can buy all the stuff and make there own for $1000 paying full retail price on all the parts than whats it cost a major manufacturer to make them? yet cost $2800 for a 4ft tank let alone a 6ft tank or bigger.

led's are so common now there everywhere, from lighting your house, to 4wd's out in the bush to aquariums and plant growing and so on. one day these things have to come down even more in price surely.

Only good if you are handy at electronics
too true, some people i know i wouldnt trust with 12v wiring in a car lol

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Only good if you are handy at electronics I know heaps of users that have blown their diy units multiple times, all comes down to an appearance / performance etc, in saying that I have seen some awesome diy but they ended up costing the same as a vertex
I find it funny that someone could stuff it up... Its just positive and negative. Even if you hook it up backwards, the power supply should prevent the leds from blowing.. There is hardly anything you can stuff up. Soldering is pretty simple.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
what controllable options are you talking about?

but you dont get a fancy box with pictures with it and no fancy controller. surely those 2 options alone are worth the extra $2000 hahahahaha
Haha yep. Once I get my controller I should be right on a grand all up.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I'm the first to admit I'm useless when it comes to electronics ... tried it before and blew a few LEDs (over voltage I think)
dont worry i blew a nice string of crees on my first DIY build, ended up costing as much as a pre made unit and looked average so never again :D