Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Leo's 2ft Cube - Say Hello To My Little Friend
Introduction:

Reefing Since: November 2011
System Objectives: no algae? lol nice peaceful reef without too much maintenance
Type of reef: Mixed

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 30-Sept-2012
Display Tank Dimensions: 2ft Cube (60cmx60cmx60cm)
Display Lighting: GHL Mitras 6100 LX HV White/Silver
Stand: Reef Octopus Biolife Cube Original, sanded back and painted black
Hood or Rimless: no hood, eurobraced
Sump Design: 3 sections (skimmer, refugium and heaters, bubbletrap to return)
Filtration: LiveRock and Genuine American Chaetomorpha, Skimmer, RowaCarb & RowaPhos

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: NSW
Display Water circulation: 3x MP10WES, Return from Sump
Return Pump: Eheim Compact 3000+ connected to a 1/2" SCWD
Skimmer: Deltec SC1455
Heater: Eheim Jager 150W x 2
Chiller: Hailea HC150a powered by Eheim Compact 1000+
Reactors: 2x TLF PhosBan 150's
Evaporation Top Up: Tunze Osmolator

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
well...i needed to get excited that i got the new tank and there will be some decent restoration taking place so ye. i seen one i really wanna try aim toward...except will be making it black because i have the beach colour.
2ftCubesetup001.jpg
2ftCubesetup003.jpg
02102010273.jpg
DSC01787.jpg
DSC01801.jpg

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
lol none are mine ill show u my pics now...they're what it is gonna look like when done..BUT BETTERRRR!! lol

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Here's it this morning at my house....i shouldve recorded my nonnas reaction haha

9.jpeg

think i should:
use this sump?
buy a new one?
modify it?
10.jpeg

where the weir cover was...think this is gonna be my biggest problem to try replace it...have the original but need to glue
a piece back on and im finicky as hell
11.jpeg

as you can see a lot of work to do...need all the help i can get so post all your thoughts, ideas, photos, bank account details....and lets get me to be a real reefer...you should see the excitement in my face

DELETE.JPG

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
ok enough pictures for now...came with a return pump and 300w heater and a return pipe n what not but gonna put fresh things in...will go over it tomorrow with a list of things that i need..whats the easiest way to test for leaks? just fill it to the top with water and watch carefully or is there a cheaters way

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
Where do i begin.............. tank looks shit haha jokes, should come up nice after you vinyl wrap it, did someone say 3m carbon fibre wrap :P

Hope you enjoy the pods i just spent hrs catching Lol

vman

Go you Mighty Roosters !!!!
Oct 8, 2011
sydney 2036
To test for leaks get some news paper and fill it up outside on the grass if its level or sit it on styro.nice mate,happy days the adventure begins.

mate saw the photo of you after you came..............that was some explosion..........

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
hey guys so i am about to start the 2ft cube restoration, and wanna try and plan ahead rather than just take it as it comes..

need to know a scape that would suit a 2ft cube...and my limitations fish wise...and the amount of power heads i need, at the moment i will be using my 2 existing mp10's and the return for the sump (which i guess wont provide a lot of flow)

for example fish wise i wanted to go something like the following

4x cardinals
2x clowns
1x mandarin (existing)
1x lawnmower blenny (existing)
1x hawaiian flame angel (existing)

and my existing Coral banded shrimp and maybe purchase a pair of cleaners

let me know thoughts i need all the help i can get

WoodyMackay

Oct 12, 2011
Okay,
As long as she's not water damaged sad it back and put some enamel paint on there. I rekon spray on is smoother than brush on. 300w heater is fine dude, just means it will be on less as it heats the water up quicker. That section with the egg crate is where people usually out bio balls. Put some carbon or rowaphos in a bag with some luve Rick and maybe even macro as this is where it drains to I think. Clean the tank out with vinegar, water test and to will have a cranking tank! Where aboud in nsw are you?

vman

Go you Mighty Roosters !!!!
Oct 8, 2011
sydney 2036
You can take out the large bit off egg crate and put a dsb in there by getting a piece of glass and putting it across the bottom section where the water goes underneath
but leave an inch or so for the water to be able to pass over the glass and down under the first bottom section,this way you can build the sand up good 5-6 inches
then attach some macro on rock peices and lay it on the DSB,run one of 100% reefsafes filter socks they are great and dont get clogged up like a lot of others.

a couple of cool dayllight e27 compacts from coles equal to 100 watts each will give plenty of light to get the macro cranking off its head,run it 24/7

put coral rubble in the tower next to where it overflows and build it up to 2-3 inches to where the water goes over and place a coarse filter sponge
cut out so it snuggly fits over the top of the rubble tower and this will make sure no macro ends up in the section where your return pump will be.
and buffer the noise.there is also room to put small bags of purigen or carbon on top of the spoge tucked in under the lip where the water goes over.

I have the exact same sump and this is how i run mine and it works a treat.

i have two skimmers,one aquamedic blue 500 fits perfectly in the narrow section and one tunze 9005 in the section where my return pump is.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
hey guys thanks for the replies...woody im from fairfield...and ill prob get my uncle to vinyl wrap it for me just quicker and easier although not sure how good it will weather after a bit of water and salt creep but id assume it should be fine if they wrap cars with it..

thanks vman, bit hard to visualise, im posting 2 pics with what i thought i should do but i really need all the help i can get
maybe i should get you over to have a look...would that make ur skimmers HOB?
10.jpeg