Tank Journal Archive

Tomtron

Mar 26, 2013
Let The Ideas Begin...
Okay so I got my original inspiration for this build from a nano reef vase I saw on the internet. I also found a few other similar builds which really inspired me, here are a few links to some builds.

- So I cant put links in because I haven't made enough posts yet so i will include a picture.

What I envisage is a little different though. I would like to create a round tank with a central column and have the tank slowly rotate all day so every angle is viewable.

Also I plan on having a sump of sorts, I have two ideas for this depending on how large my display is.
1st is just having a 25L container with a probe built into the lid to cycle water between it and the display continually. Thus allowing for easy water changes and greater water volume. I really like this idea because of how easy it makes water changes and how its a closed system (hopefully) no chances of flooding. This idea came about when i was thinking about using a vase and so expected a water volume of around 10L however if i go for a bigger tank, say 50L this becomes less necessary and i should probably move onto my next idea.

Which is to have a plastic tub with 20ish liters of water and a whole lot extra live rock. Basically the usual system, i don't like this idea as much because it allows for a lot of open air contact so more evaporation and does not provide a dead easy way for water changes, (which is something i would like to incorporate.)

So how do we get the water to actually move between the sump and display. well if i end up having a center column I was thinking about building the column around a PVC over flow which goes straight through the bottom of the tank and then fits into a larger pvc pipe that allows the overflow pipe to rotate with the tank. and then run all the equipment up though the over flow. to keep things neat. :)

So all that aside with the basic goal of having a rotating tank which is probably going to be quite deep i need to seriously consider lighting. what I have pictured for this is to have a lighting bar come up from behind that tank where a single full spectrum bulb suitable for reefing is positioned a ways in front of the tank and angled to shine inwards to create a nice viewing light. On the back side however I was thinking about having some sort of horizontal lighting bar with grow lights. so that at every moment the corals will be lit however their light with vary between display and grow, similar to the change in lighting i would assume the tide has on a reef. This is one area where I would appreciate any advice.

Those are my main ideas, i would be really interested in what anyone else has to say about them and if anyone has any other good ideas that could be incorporated.

Cheers.

Attachments

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
How will the return pump work? It has to be plugged in for it to be on obviously. The pump will have to be spinning with the tank and will tangle the cord. Same goes with powerheads if you are going to use them.
It's a very interesting project and I'll be following along!

Tomtron

Mar 26, 2013
The return pump will be in a probe which goes into the 25L container. the feed back into the tank will run through quite a 5mm hose (i dont exactly know this but is going to be small what ever it is) and feed into the top of the tank through the central overflow. most likely i will having this pipe as a static pipe, as it wont be attached to anything it wont get twisted. imagine that if you were looking at it the pipe would be releasing the water to the right all the time regardless of what orientation that tank currently is at.

With electrical equipment in the tank i want to avoid that as much as possible, I will probably need a power head of some description and a heater. If possible i would use a low voltage heater and defiantly a low voltage pump. I would then run either copper stripes around the out side of the drain to maintain an electrical connection regardless of orientation or some sort of device that allows a wire to twist. I know they are available i just cant remember what they are called. Im more in favor of the 1st idea however i will confer with my father who was an electrical engineer see what he things.