Tank Journal Archive

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Let's Get The Plumbing Started !
A new house means a new tank ! ;)
I am sourcing all the plumbing parts at the moment.

I sourced 4 FIP Double Union Ball Valves to run the Bean Animal Failsafe Overflow :cool:
as19.postimg.org_970noqear_image.jpg

3 for the drains and 1 for my return.
I really like the FIP valves, they are manufactured to high tolerances and the unions on both ends allow disassembly of plumbing at a later stage.

Check out the size of the handles :D
as19.postimg.org_mqm386hnn_image.jpg

as19.postimg.org_k80e7hvxf_image.jpg

I chose solvent ends to match the slip bulkheads I will be using from Lifegard Aquatics.

Here are the slip/slip bulkheads I have chosen for this tank.
as19.postimg.org_knbo0ihur_image.jpg

They accept a pipe at either end and are glued into position.

For reference, here is a standard bulkhead compared to the Lifegard bulkhead. This reduced overal length will allow me to run the drain lines and return closer to the base of the stand.

as19.postimg.org_btkrjeuw3_image.jpg

I will be planning a three outlet manifold to run 2 TLF 550 Fluidised Media Reactors and having a spare outlet for future use.
:)

Last edited:

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I really like using 45 degree elbow joins in all my drain lines and returns to create gentler bends. I think it looks better :)

The only 90 degree elbow I will be using is for the Durso standpipe.

These should get me started;)
as19.postimg.org_xvb1tgfdv_image.jpg

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Sensational plumbing so far! It's often overlooked and can really make or break a system down the track, you are off to a perfect start/reboot!

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Sweet as.
Brilliant choice of fittings, should look top notch!!
Thanks daveH, the FIP's are my preferred ball valves and I can highly recommend them to anbody who is setting up a tank. They are rated for food use also :)

Sensational plumbing so far! It's often overlooked and can really make or break a system down the track, you are off to a perfect start/reboot!
Thank Sam, I have had first hand experience trying to remove fish and snails that have managed to get their way into drain lines and it's not fun. I am going to use normal pipe unions as well, so the plumbing can be completely taken apart for maintenance and pipe wanderers ;)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
IMG_0099.JPG
This may be something you already know, but when I did my plumbing I got a great tip on keeping the system quiet and eliminating any trickling noises.
On the main drain pipe, place the ball valve as close to the outlet end as possible. This is so that the pipe fills with water above the valve and not gurgling down the pipe after the valve. I also put in a clear section of pipe at the top so I could see when the pipe was full.
My system is absolutely silent and returns to full siphon immediately.
Hope maybe this was a help.

Last edited:

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
View attachment 55379 This may be something you already know, but when I did my plumbing I got a great tip on keeping the system quiet and eliminating any trickling noises.
On the main drain pipe, place the ball valve as close to the outlet end as possible. This is so that the pipe fills with water above the valve and not gurgling down the pipe after the valve. I also put in a clear section of pipe at the top so I could see when the pipe was full.
My system is absolutely silent and returns to full siphon immediately.
Hope maybe this was a help.
Thanks for posting that daveH. It is definitely a different way of doing it and it's great that it's working for you. It makes sense. Are you concerned about algae growth in the clear pipe?

The Bean Animal drains I will be using are not 100% the same as his design theory as my bulkheads will be placed like yours, perpindicular to the rear wall and I will be having the main syphon at the base of the overflow. I found the pressure of the water inside the overflow is sufficient to keep the lines flooded. My durso line will set the height inside the overflow and the emergency line will be close to the top.

The only gurgling I had experienced with the above was when a tank I had purchased had oversized drain holes and was using large plumbing. The water and air mixes inside the pipes and can be heard trickling :(

E

ezza

Oh my!! Your plumbing is so impressive! I wish you could do it to mine, I need someone who knows what works to help me get my plumbing in order so it will have failsafes and the ability to turn things on and off whenever I need to.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Oh my!! Your plumbing is so impressive! I wish you could do it to mine, I need someone who knows what works to help me get my plumbing in order so it will have failsafes and the ability to turn things on and off whenever I need to.
Thanks ezza, I just replied to your plumbing thread. Hopefully there is some info in there that can help you out with what you currently have.

I have had many flooded floors over the years and have found the drain system I have selected to be the quietest and safest for my needs ;)

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Hi mate, where did you source the FIP valves and the lifegard aquatic bulkheads? I'm in the process of finding all the necessary gear I need and those two fittings will be perfect!
We need an update on your progress to!

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Hi mate, where did you source the FIP valves and the lifegard aquatic bulkheads? I'm in the process of finding all the necessary gear I need and those two fittings will be perfect!
We need an update on your progress to!
FIP valves cane from Braeco in WA and the Lifegard bulkheads came from Aquasonic and eBay.

Hope this helps :)

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
FIP valves cane from Braeco in WA and the Lifegard bulkheads came from Aquasonic and eBay.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks mate appreciate it.
Sad to see you have to take a break from your tankley duties but that's life I guess. Good luck with everything!