Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Light Automation Complete
well the cycle ended day 13
So did the diatoms - my god they are ugly
Having a few issues with flow that's slowly being resolved by trial & error and it's getting better
Unfortunately with the diatoms over appears I am hitting the trust gha stage
I am shocked at how quickly it's appeared

The LEDs & new skimmer arrived
No fish loses to date except powder blue wouidbt eat no matter what we tried
All happy and have returned to full health

Here's a quick video of the lights lifts
It's super quiet
Stops 7cm above tank & 2cm from
Roof
Very impressed with the pulzar
Led for a 5cm wide strip it packs a punch

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
well the cycle ended day 13
So did the diatoms - my god they are ugly
Having a few issues with flow that's slowly being resolved by trial & error and it's getting better
Unfortunately with the diatoms over appears I am hitting the trust gha stage
I am shocked at how quickly it's appeared

The LEDs & new skimmer arrived
No fish loses to date except powder blue wouidbt eat no matter what we tried
All happy and have returned to full health

Here's a quick video of the lights lifts
It's super quiet
Stops 7cm above tank & 2cm from
Roof
Very impressed with the pulzar
Led for a 5cm wide strip it packs a punch

Now that is COOOOOOL... you remain a goal for me to work towards for my new build.
Congrats on the fish survival... but where are the corals ?

Jac

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek
Noice, I like it a lot. Looks like you put a solarium over your tank.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Ouch... sad to hear that. From what i recall, they looked relatively ok in your IBC before the transition. What do you think it was - too long in the IBC, new water conditions, or new lights ?
Jac

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Ouch... sad to hear that. From what i recall, they looked relatively ok in your IBC before the transition. What do you think it was - too long in the IBC, new water conditions, or new lights ?
Jac
Got a bad case of brown jelly after causing injury to so many ar the throw them in ibc time !

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
The lights look awesome.
Sorry to hear you lost most of the coral, that really sucks.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of ongoing cost (electricity and bulb replacement) is involved with running a setup like this; and do you have anything to offset the cost (such as solar panels)?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
The lights look awesome.
Sorry to hear you lost most of the coral, that really sucks.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of ongoing cost (electricity and bulb replacement) is involved with running a setup like this; and do you have anything to offset the cost (such as solar panels)?
We do have a 5kw solar at .52c buy back
So I pray for sun most days lol
The tanks costing with light & heat about $7 a day to run without calculating the solar credits
Bulb replacing is 24 x 54w globes so about $900 a year

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I expect your electricity bill will hurt double as much though, usage will obviously go up a little but buy back will come down a little (as you are using more and missing out on that 52c buy back).

The lighting replacement is better than I expected, but ouch - $7 a day in electricity? That's a killer! Then again, $2500 a year, add in lights at $3,400 a year and it doesn't sound like that much again.

Either way, will all be worth it as that tank is on the path to total stardom!

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I expect your electricity bill will hurt double as much though, usage will obviously go up a little but buy back will come down a little (as you are using more and missing out on that 52c buy back).

The lighting replacement is better than I expected, but ouch - $7 a day in electricity? That's a killer! Then again, $2500 a year, add in lights at $3,400 a year and it doesn't sound like that much again.

Either way, will all be worth it as that tank is on the path to total stardom!
$60/Wk and considering the time you spend enjoying your tank - not too many hobbies are as cheap as this.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
If only it was just the $60 a week though. By the time you add in all the other expenses, the power is only one aspect. Either way, not saying it isn't worth it!!!! Just curious as I am always too scared to add things up and get actual figures. A bit like when I get my credit card statement at the end of the year and it breaks down into shop categories. "Aquariums" features very very highly on the list :P

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Auditing the total cost of ownership is probably not going to bring any further enjoyment to the hobby.
I prefer to compare the costs of a reef tank to smoking or smashed avo breakfasts - AKA confirmation bias :)

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
For those new to the hobby, you'll see more freaky things in you tank than you'll see smoking crack so $60 a week is cheap.