Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Light Settings Test
i have modified my light settings out of the normal to see how it affects growth and coloration usually my white never get over 1/3 power i am progressively ramping them up to 100% for a couple hours a day and will see if i get any different results

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Quite a few of the DIY threads in the US talk about a 'High Noon' period - they have a number of Neutral Whites which they put on at 100% but only for a few hours in the middle of the day. It puts the overall colour temp of the tank out of whack but most people probably aren't at home at this time anyway - it is meant to replicate the midday sun i.e. when it is directly overhead.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Quite a few of the DIY threads in the US talk about a 'High Noon' period - they have a number of Neutral Whites which they put on at 100% but only for a few hours in the middle of the day. It puts the overall colour temp of the tank out of whack but most people probably aren't at home at this time anyway - it is meant to replicate the midday sun i.e. when it is directly overhead.
thats exactly how i set it. around 3 hours of 3x the amount of white light they are used to. will be interesting to see the results

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I run my Radion at 100% on all channels for 3hrs each day, haven't tried just ramping the whites up though.

@MTG do you have any SPS in there still?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
so far from pumping the lights a longer amount of time and upping the whites to 100pct (compared to the usual 1/3rd power) i have noticed a bigger increase in growth speed (to be expected from more light) also an increase in glass algae growth also.

but hey who wasnt expecting that of course more lights going to mean better growth :D

all i have done tho is set the light to while im away run the whites at 100pct then when i come home from work its already wound down to the colour temp i like