Reef Discussion

Azza.12

Aug 26, 2012
Brisbane
Lighting Recommendations
Hey Guys - long time no see,

After having my four foot aquarium for a number of years, and having to dismantle it due to house moves, I am finally ready to dive back into this amazing hobby. I am moving into a new place and intend to put a 6x2x2' mixed reef tank inside. Unfortunately, most of my equipment has gone into disrepair and will likely have to spend some decent cash to get a rig setup again.

I've been out of a loop for a while and so am not sure what the latest and greatest technology is for lighting. My previous tank had 2 x Ecotech Marine Radions XR30w (Gen 1). I was always very impressed with the look of the tank, and they were state of the art at the time, but had some issues with programming the lights which made them a tad frustrating.

Given I am one to go for the best, and only have experience with the Radions, I was toying with picking up 3 x XR30w Pro Gen 4's, but they come with a hefty price tag! While I am not shy on spending money on quality equipment which will keep my tank community happy, I'd like to make sure I'm making the right choice and getting value for money.

So, what's the current recommendation for top quality lighting for a mixed reef? Happy to hear any and all comments!

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Cheers,
Azza.

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
I've had three AI 26's over my Red Sea Max 500 for seven months. The tank is 4x2x2.
Extremely happy with the lights.

I would suggest them

Azza.12

Aug 26, 2012
Brisbane
Thanks for the recommendations guys! This is for a 6' aquarium so figure I'll need three of these guys. My LFS had been recommending the AI Hydras so I might have a closer look at them!

LED still the way to go? It's always looked the best to me...