Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Lighting
I have a Radion which I was considering using, but I keep reading amazing things about the kessil a360 ... Which has me considering that instead.

Might need to head to Reeflections to check them out again.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I seen one at Williamstown a few weeks ago. They look OK kinda back to basics as in no built in timer and no digital programing. Just 1 Or 2 DIALS On Them..
i think they go from 10~20k. But I don't know the Par rating at depth.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I seen one at Williamstown a few weeks ago. They look OK kinda back to basics as in no built in timer and no digital programing. Just 1 Or 2 DIALS On Them..
i think they go from 10~20k. But I don't know the Par rating at depth.
Yeah lack of controllability is the main downside ... For now at least. I think kessil are planning to release a controller which would make things interesting. I like the lok of the gooseneck with extender tHough:
image.jpg

Another option I'm considering:
image.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Kessil controller due in august...but if you have an apex you can control it also :)
Hmm wonder how much it will cost. The A360W is already $400, so if the controller is another $200 on top that's a pricey light.

Also saw this which looks bloody awesome, but again $200:
aaquarium_led_controller.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_01_led_controller_diy.jpg

aaquarium_led_controller.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_10_diy_led_controller.gif aaquarium_led_controller.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_10_bluefish_led_controller.gif

aaquarium_led_controller.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_10_diy_aquarium_led.gif aaquarium_led_controller.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_10_weather_simulation.gif

what kind are the other LED units ?
I can't tell :
They are Aqua Illumination Hydra units. AI isn't very big over here for some reason, but I know a retailer or two do stock them.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/lighting/hydra/

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Kessil controller due in august...but if you have an apex you can control it also :)
Hmm wonder how much it will cost. The A360W is already $400, so if the controller is another $200 on top that's a pricey light.

aaquarium_led_controller.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_01_led_controller_diy.jpg

aaquarium_led_controller.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_10_diy_led_controller.gif aaquarium_led_controller.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_10_bluefish_led_controller.gif

aaquarium_led_controller.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_10_diy_aquarium_led.gif aaquarium_led_controller.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_10_weather_simulation.gif

what kind are the other LED units ?
I can't tell :
They are Aqua Illumination Hydra units. AI isn't very big over here for some reason, but I know a retailer or two do stock them.

Attachments

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney

View attachment 41629
View attachment 41630 View attachment 41631

View attachment 41632 View attachment 41633

Who's controller is the bluefish for? Pretty cool need to look into it but from those pictures seems interesting.

Where did you get a price of 400? Nek minit you let out cost prices out instead of RRP they sell for 499 cheapest I found plus the gooseneck and the controller cables adds up a little but by far best bang for buck, only light unit worth comparing on that price scale is the AI units I really wanted one when I started out they're so huge in america seen amazing tanks with them but here not so much, but that's with a lot of products across all categories

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Who's controller is the bluefish for? Pretty cool need to look into it but from those pictures seems interesting.

Where did you get a price of 400? Nek minit you let out cost prices out instead of RRP they sell for 499 cheapest I found plus the gooseneck and the controller cables adds up a little but by far best bang for buck, only light unit worth comparing on that price scale is the AI units I really wanted one when I started out they're so huge in america seen amazing tanks with them but here not so much, but that's with a lot of products across all categories
http://www.marinedepot.com/Kessil_A...hts-Kessil-YH09955-FILTFILDLP-YH33747-vi.html
Yeah I was quoting US$. More like AU$500 here. Would have to see what shipping is like.

Unfortunatley not quoting cost prices - no idea who imports Kessils ... I should find out though :D
Looks pretty classy but like theres a lot of shading
The main downside of single source lighting. I was thinking about using one or two A150s either side to counter that somewhat, something like this, though probably overkill for my tank. I reckon I'll just scape accordingly, with SPS primarily around the centre.

upload_2014-6-17_12-31-3.png

Was this a Google image search? If not can u link me in a PM where it came from I'd love to read about it
It was shown on Kessil's Facebook page from earlier this year. No link to more info unfortunately, I'd love to know more about it myself. Stunning tank!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Just wanted to join in with the spamming :P

No seriously, cool thread. I love the Kessil's, but I think the lack of controllability would start to piss me off after a while. Basically need to buy with that controller I reckon...

Such a slick looking setup though :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Not too far off the profile my tank would be. This is 900x600x300 and mine will be 700x700x300. I think it's fair to say one A360 will cover it.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_05_04_thumbnail_ze6eredu.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Had to follow up to check out that gooseneck in the above pic as I couldn't see any wires!

Basically US$100-150 depending on whether you go for the 'premium' mount with holding ring beneath.

Premium mount $90

afbcdn_sphotos_f_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_xap1_t31.0_8_1622496_1427622524146975_1391218917_o.jpg

Or I actually prefer the 'slimline' design that doesn't have the base ring, US$50:
awww.lerussodesigns.com_images_1379048206957145496265.jpeg

Then the tubing/clamp part is $45 for the version that attaches to a rimless tank:
alerussodesigns.com_images_13799837083202143765296.jpeg

Granted all adding up to the total cost, but for the clean look ... might be worth it, considering the standard gooseneck is $60 including adapter.

http://lerussodesigns.com/

JimmyG

Feb 9, 2014
I like the effect the Kessil's give as far as the shimmer and shadowing. I'm not sure on the PAR these give out but I saw one at Bunarong on the weekend which one of the guys was playing around with and it just didn't look bright enough to me. It would be better if you were to add more than one and have the light overlapping in the center of your tank.