Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I like the effect the Kessil's give as far as the shimmer and shadowing. I'm not sure on the PAR these give out but I saw one at Bunarong on the weekend which one of the guys was playing around with and it just didn't look bright enough to me. It would be better if you were to add more than one and have the light overlapping in the center of your tank.
  1. I thought that the 360W would do a 2x2 area . Therefore you would need 2?????
The tank I posted above: Lighting
Is 3ft wide and it seems to cover it.

I am also basing the decision to go with one on this tank, which is the same dimensions as mine will be (700x700x300), plus some comments I have read elsewhere that it covers 3x3 fairly well. Granted it might not grow SPS on the edges, but I would scape to have the SPS and clam mostly central.
a4x5.co.za_tank_build_fts_may_20_2014_1024.jpg

a4x5.co.za_tank_build_sts_may_20_2014_1024.jpg

a4x5.co.za_tank_build_sts_june_09_2014_1024.jpg

a4x5.co.za_tank_build_tts_june_09_2014_1024.jpg

Interestingly though, the guy that runs that tank is swapping the Kessil for an ATI Sunpower because he doesn't like the shading o_0

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I think it's funny how Kessil have turned a negative into a positive with the shading :)
Yeah people seem to fall into two camps. One say it's more 'natural', that the reef has shading, single point source like the sun, yadda yadda. Others hate the shading because it restricts SPS growth.

I think it's somewhere inbetween. I kind of like the fact you have some shaded areas around the edges where you can place low light corals like rics, and I think it ultimately comes down to the scape.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i guess covering and sufficient are 2 completely different words yeah?

you just need to be sure whilst the light may appear to cover it all does not mean it actually is sufficient.

@thepubenator said he saw ridiculously low PAR on these.

do some investigation.

E

ezza

http://www.marinedepot.com/Kessil_A...hts-Kessil-YH09955-FILTFILDLP-YH33747-vi.html
Yeah I was quoting US$. More like AU$500 here. Would have to see what shipping is like.

Unfortunatley not quoting cost prices - no idea who imports Kessils ... I should find out though :D

The main downside of single source lighting. I was thinking about using one or two A150s either side to counter that somewhat, something like this, though probably overkill for my tank. I reckon I'll just scape accordingly, with SPS primarily around the centre.

View attachment 41640

It was shown on Kessil's Facebook page from earlier this year. No link to more info unfortunately, I'd love to know more about it myself. Stunning tank!
Asquith sells Kessil. :) chat to Mark and Mike. Aquaristic in beacons field also.