Tank Journal Archive

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Thats a really cool LED chip.... I have had a couple of channels on mine have died and I havent had time/motivation to replace them... A couple of these would make a DIY LED a simple affair!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thats a really cool LED chip.... I have had a couple of channels on mine have died and I havent had time/motivation to replace them... A couple of these would make a DIY LED a simple affair!
I'm not convinced that it would be that easy - having 50 LED's in such a small area means that you have a lot of light emanating from that same small area. I think you would want to have them fairly high and/or a fairly long acclimation period for your corals.

BattleSheep

Jun 17, 2013
Werribee
I will be watching how you go with this as I have been checking them out myself. I was looking at the cooling issues as well I was thinking some thing like the cpu water cooling units to cool it like the thermaltake water cooler. (can't post links) What would other peoples thoughts be?
Good luck with it.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I was thinking of a thermoelectric cooling plate sandwiched inbetween the LED chip and a heatsink... I read about these a year or so ago and seemed viable for 50w spotlight LED diodes.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I'm not convinced that it would be that easy - having 50 LED's in such a small area means that you have a lot of light emanating from that same small area. I think you would want to have them fairly high and/or a fairly long acclimation period for your corals.
I think the key would be coral placement under a light that has such a high light output in the centre.... I would it high enough to blend well I think.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
they are a really coool little gadget. They will generate a small current when heated on one side or cooled on the other... They are used in a lot of small portable fridges/wine bottle coolers etc they are great but sometimes the results are a bit exagerated!

I have yet to play with them but have read a bit.

BattleSheep

Jun 17, 2013
Werribee
The Thermoelectric Cooler Peltier Module Plate Cooling is probably a good idea.
BMW cars were trying istalling them along there mufflers as an alternator in there cars.