Off-Topic

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
HAHAHA the receptionist at my work is always going on about her wage and her unfair working conditions..... always dues the "this isn't in my job description" line when she dont wanna do anything....And she gets a little bit less then me and i had to go to uni for this s***.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
i never understood the concept of equal wage the statistics are corrupted. look at the biological fact that a women have children need to leave the workplace. will men don't have kids gives a greater opportunity to be promoted working continually in the industry. i read a few journals at uni that suggested physiologically women take less risk then men so when in negotiations of wages they tend to under value there worth if fear of job loss etc.. and im pretty sure men and women trend in different industries at uni i used to take a few Human Resource Management subject for the sole purpose of meeting hot girls......mmmm group assesments :P, will my accounting courses were 1 big man feast. its rare to see a male receptionist or a female garbage man. sorry about the rant just had 2 of my friends send me a ton of text about equal pay. y is every 1 wanna talk about it now. is at all over the new cabinet with 1-2 women or something else haven't had time to watch the news. srry if i open a can of worms. no worms intended :P

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
I think a similar thing about certain staff in my workplace that are neither male nor skilled or educated appropriately for their job description yet expect to be paid the same.
i absolutely hate hearing labourers complain that they don't get paid enough for what they do (which where i work is pretty much nothing for $900 a week) and that the company won't put them through any tickets or training they don't need (which if they really wanted they could put themseves through) and expect everyone to do everything to help them when they are basically paid to do what a 1st year apprentice does but yet get paid 3 to 4 times more

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
i never understood the concept of equal wage the statistics are corrupted. look at the biological fact that a women have children need to leave the workplace. will men don't have kids gives a greater opportunity to be promoted working continually in the industry. i read a few journals at uni that suggested physiologically women take less risk then men so when in negotiations of wages they tend to under value there worth if fear of job loss etc.. and im pretty sure men and women trend in different industries at uni i used to take a few Human Resource Management subject for the sole purpose of meeting hot girls......mmmm group assesments :p, will my accounting courses were 1 big man feast. its rare to see a male receptionist or a female garbage man. sorry about the rant just had 2 of my friends send me a ton of text about equal pay. y is every 1 wanna talk about it now. is at all over the new cabinet with 1-2 women or something else haven't had time to watch the news. srry if i open a can of worms. no worms intended :p
if they can do the work they should get paid the same lol but women wanting equal pay in jobs that they can't do as well as men doesn't seem right especially in the case of trades where the better the tradesperson you are the more you get paid you can't just say i'm a woman i've just finished an apprenticeship i want the same pay as that guy who has 30 years experience and is paid more than the less qualified workers

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
im all for equally wages if there doing the same job with the same obligation and risk. but most feminist arguments use the mean average for men and women's wages to portray men been dominate in the workforce. and disregard qualification and experience in relation to there higher average also the biological, social and physiological differences that effect carrier's

lol got me ranting again i better stop writing before i put my foot in it.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I'm not sure if I'm reading what you guys are saying right or not but ..... Thats like saying each person should get paid on an individual basis depending on how much they get done each day - its not the way employment works in this country. If you can't do the job, then you should get fired... and they should fire the idiot that hired you too, simple as that. Nothing to do with gender. If you are hired to do the same job as a man, you should get paid the same whether you can do the job well or not.

And women should be women, and not try to be like men. We're not the same and we shouldn't lose our femininity trying to be. I can't stand feminists who are butch - to me a true feminist would try to represent everything a woman has to offer.

I have been in a 'man's job'. I was the only girl on a landscaping team for a year - we did most of the work manually with not much equip. I was never as strong, but I found ways around it, like sharpening my equip on a grinder, using leverage principles and the right tools for the job. I did the same work, in the same time, with the same amount of effort and I had the respect of my team. A lot of this 'man job' stuff is bollocks with all the OH&S laws we have now anyway.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
people who want equal pay in the workplace but still want me to give up my seat for them because I am a man..
You're gonna hate me for disagreeing, but those things are two completely unrelated things in my head. Working and chivalry.... don't mesh together in my mind. Chivalry is nice, when you get it. I don't expect it, but I see a lot of men who put themselves first in front of everyone & thats just rude & rather arseholish. Have to admit, that a man who is genuinely courteous to women and children has my attention - and it tells me that he is strong, will protect and provide even for strangers, yet even with all that strength he is gentle (I feel really squeamish writing that.... but I can't deny thats what I think :p). A man that isn't, nothing appealing about him at all. My grandfather used to walk on the road side of you when we were walking down the street because it was an old fashioned thing you did to stop a lady from getting mud on her from passing cars - it was really endearing & it made me feel extra safe because he was shielding me.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I don't hate you because your comments are not really in line with what I have said :p
I didn't say I would not give my seat up, I am saying it should not be expected. Take chilvary out of it, why should a perfectly healthy man have to give his seat up for a perfectly healthy woman? Are woman not equal to men?

It really irritates me when people have this grand notion of men always putting some random lady first, it really is pathetic in my opinion. I paid just as much for my train ticket as you did, why should I stand up for 90 minutes? Because I have a penis? What a load of crap. If that is the case it makes me very happy to see women getting paid less, they deserve it.

I am quite happy I married a woman who wants equality and expects to be treated as equally as any man, shame so many other don't.

Personally I am all for equality, if a woman can do the job as good as the man she should have the same opportunities at it and get paid the same wage. Most woman I know in higher up jobs getting paid well don't expect a seat on the train in peak hour. My cousin always complains about not getting one, she works in a call centre cold calling for a telecoms company.

There is not a thing I would not do in this world to protect my wife from harm, if someone thinks I am not strong because I will not give up my seat for a woman with no children/disability etc then he is free to try and harm her, we will see how that notion goes.

Let me put a scenario to you, there is a big puddle of mud next to the road you and your grandfather were walking along, 4 steps behind you was a lady walking the same road, a car comes, who does he shield from the mud, you or her?

My point is chilvary is one of those words that gets thrown around in an ideal scenario, not many of them exist in life. If you want equality you get equality in life, not only when it suits

That is my rant done, some idiot contractor just set my fire alarms off so I am cranky :P

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
[quote="aussieant32, post: 118456, member: 441".... why should I stand up for 90 minutes? Because I have a penis?[/quote]

I think I've just found my reason why you should :worship

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
lol I've asked a girl for there number in exchange for my seat :eek. in my defense i was drunk on my way home from a disappointing night out, :P only grandma's and children get my seat for free

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
OHS: the bane of logic & critical thinking. A guy at work here got in trouble for walking "too briskly" earlier this wk *walks off SLOWLY to bash head against wall for a bit*

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I was running an extension lead out along the ground once on site (a chocolate factory whos favourite colour is purple) and I decided to push the lead under a machine so the ohs sooks wouldn't bitch about a lead on the ground. Well sure enough one of the morons comes along and tells me to erect barricades to stop people tripping over the lead. The lead was push under a small gap on a permanent machine... The only person that could trip over it would be about 10cm tall!

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
You'll love this @MichelleShocked - I couldn't agree more!]

Steve Hughes is one of my favorite comedians - I've watched that set many times and i still laugh like hell.
My friend told me a joke the other day:
Two guys are walking across a construction site, one following the other, when the first one reaches a huge black pit. He almost walks in but his mate behind him grabs him by the arm to stop him then says "Walk AROUND". They walk around the hole and the first guy says to the second, "How did you DO that?? There was no signs or flags or anything!!!"
The second guy says knowingly "It's an old trick my granddad taught me....."

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
When people notice I'm left handed, watch the freak show with curiosity o_0 & comment that it must be really hard - then they ask questions like "Can you use scissors?" :p

wPat left hand writing LA show.JPG

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
When people notice I'm left handed, watch the freak show with curiosity o_0 & comment that it must be really hard - then they ask questions like "Can you use scissors?" :p]
I would just mess with their heads, then. I would tell them you read from right to left and that it's REALLY hard to find a left handed screw-driver.
You would not BELIEVE the stuff people accept if you tell them with enough authority.
I was at the chemists the other day with my work mate, who, admittedly, isn't known for her keen intellect, and at the checkout we were looking at the Glucose Jelly Beans - you know the ones - in the blue bag with the white cross on it, for diabetics and lolly freaks.....
Anyway, she commented on the high cost for plain old jelly beans and how she likes Allen's Jelly beans better.
I replied that they cost more because they are much better for you - each color is a different vitamin.
She thought that was a great idea.
The girl at the checkout was staring at me like i was a fucking lunatic and I was trying very hard to keep my lips from twitching because not only did my work mate believe me, the girl thought i believed it too.
There's probably an OHS rule against it, somewhere *sigh*

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
I'm not sure if I'm reading what you guys are saying right or not but ..... Thats like saying each person should get paid on an individual basis depending on how much they get done each day - its not the way employment works in this country. If you can't do the job, then you should get fired... and they should fire the idiot that hired you too, simple as that. Nothing to do with gender. If you are hired to do the same job as a man, you should get paid the same whether you can do the job well or not.

And women should be women, and not try to be like men. We're not the same and we shouldn't lose our femininity trying to be. I can't stand feminists who are butch - to me a true feminist would try to represent everything a woman has to offer.

I have been in a 'man's job'. I was the only girl on a landscaping team for a year - we did most of the work manually with not much equip. I was never as strong, but I found ways around it, like sharpening my equip on a grinder, using leverage principles and the right tools for the job. I did the same work, in the same time, with the same amount of effort and I had the respect of my team. A lot of this 'man job' stuff is bollocks with all the OH&S laws we have now anyway.
well i know at my work and at most workshops i or anyone i know have worked in tend to have different pay rates for tradesmen.... and the whole man job thing isn't all bollocks frankly i'm surprised when i see a woman work in industry for 5+ years i've only seen 1 over the past 6 years (my mum who's been a rigger for the past 15 or so years) but i've seen a fair few come in and do a month at best of welding or labour work in the workshop and quit cause it isn't what they were expecting or it was too hot or too hard or they just simply didn't like it so there are men jobs not because women can't do it but because they don't do it ... i guess girls don't like burns on their arms haha