Off-Topic

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Yes monitoring is a thing you have to remember to do - I just go with TPG, $18 a month for a plan that would cost me $80 on Telstra. The coverage is pretty average but who calls people anymore :P Top tips though @Agent M

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
This is an anti-smoking rant - I don't actually care if this offends any smokers out there, I don't think they have a right to be offended. Because at the end of the day there are very few places they can smoke without infringing on the rights of other people and they do all the time.

I HATE it when people wind their windows down and blow the smoke out the window so it goes straight into the vents of my car behind. Wind your window UP and keep your smoke to yourself!

I HATE it when my neighbours pop outside their back door for a smoke and it comes over the fence and I can smell it. I'm sure they do that for the sake of someone they live with and haven't got a clue how far it is travelling, but I don't care.

I HATE it when you are walking out in the open with lots of people on the footpath including and ESPECIALLY kids/babies, and some selfish idiot lights up and is trailing their smoke behind them all over everyone!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I hate leaving the MCG after a game of footy and all the smokers are so desperate for a smoke they light up as soon as they get out of the ground. People are packed like sardines and have to breathe that crap!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Exactly. They're so addicted it makes them act with no regard for other people. They know it too, they'll stub it out pretty fast if someone says something to them the right way. I prefer drunks! They smell better! :p

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
And how they cup the cigarette in one hand thinking that it stops the smoke and the smell from annoying anyone.
Or they exhale their smoke away from you at a slight angle, again thinking they're doing you a favour.
And the arseholes who bitch and complain how broke they are but still manage to have a smoke hanging out their mouth!!!

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The fact that smokers tax makes up a VERY large portion of the public health system and that non-smokers are the large portion who USE the public health system. Want people to stop smoking in their own back yards and in public places away from people? Then take out private cover and never use public health again :)

Reactions: Jen
I'm a professional smoker & proud of it, killing myself? yep! My choice so deal with it.
I pay my taxes just like non-smokers, but I pay more by buying smokes, paying for the RIGHT, but treated like a leper by some.

When it's illegal to smoke everywhere in this country, you will have a valid point.
This wont happen but I wish it would, just to see the effects.
How many jobs will be lost?
How much money will be lost in taxes?
population is about 22.6 million,
Say 5.6 million are smokers @ a packet a day,
Packet is rounded to lets say $15,
That's $84 million PER DAY,
That's $588 million PER WEEK
That's nearly $30.6 billion dollars PER YEAR
So what would the government reap in taxes off that?
Make smoking illegal, I would love to see the price increase of petrol & alcohol.

I HAVE the RIGHT to smoke,
I HAVE the RIGHT to be offended by the comments of others for doing nothing illegal,
I HAVE the RIGHT to smoke in my home, in public, in my car, on my property.
I WOULD like the RIGHT to smack people in the mouth for looking down at me & making a smart arse remark about smokers.

I HAVE the RESPONSIBILITY not to annoy others while smoking to the best of my ability
I HAVE the RESPONSIBILITY to smoke in designated area's when at a social function,

Do not put all smokers in the same basket, we are not all the same & some do have respect for others.
Everyone who drinks alcohol is an alcoholic.
Everyone who is religious is a cult member
Everyone who has taken Panadol is a drug addict
Everyone who goes to a Gym is on steroids
Everyone who has something against immigrants is a racist
Everyone who goes to a Doctor is a hypochondriac
Have I covered everybody in this list?

Politically correctness can kiss my arse
OH&S can kiss my arse
Rude & intolerant people can kiss my arse
Toughen up people, grow up as your great grand parents did & stop bitchin.

:D :p :banghead

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
The fact that smokers tax makes up a VERY large portion of the public health system and that non-smokers are the large portion who USE the public health system. Want people to stop smoking in their own back yards and in public places away from people? Then take out private cover and never use public health again :)
Maybe the smokers are the reason the non-smokers have to use the public system so therefore they must PAY! Ha! No but seriously, I have lost family members to smoking, slowly & painfully, all because they wanted to do it, so now we don't have them in our lives any more. And we had to watch them die, worst years of my life. So I don't back down on the issue. Its hard not to wonder if they ever thought of it that way.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Maybe the smokers are the reason the non-smokers have to use the public system so therefore they must PAY! Ha!
Huuuhhh??? I have no idea what that even means.

No but seriously, I have lost family members to smoking, slowly & painfully, all because they wanted to do it, so now we don't have them in our lives anymore. Its hard not to wonder if they ever thought of it that way.
Yes, and that is very unfortunate and I am sorry for your loss. But saying smokers lose their right to be offended is very wrong. You can't just take away peoples rights because they live a different lifestyle than you. ESPECIALLY when they do what they do on their own property. Otherwise where do you draw the line?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
But that's just it, it doesn't stay on their property. They can't control where their smoke goes. It is difficult to argue that smokers should have a right to smoke as inevitably they breach someone else's right not to. Its an impossible situation.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
So can't I say the same thing about the people who come knocking on my door to let god save me on the weekend (usually in the morning getting me out of bed)? They are not staying out of my property. They are purposely coming on my property with the sole purpose of impeding on my rights.

Reactions: Jen

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Smokers certainly have the right to smoke. In fact I don't think they smoke enough. They should smoke twice . . three times . . four times more than what they do - get it over and done with. Just don't let me smell it, that's all.
So when you finally end up in hospital with lung cancer (24.4% of males smoking 5 or more cigarettes per day) and you're propped up in bed with the tubes coming out of your nose (gotta get rid of that nasty malignant pleural effusion somehow) and every time you cough it's a mixture of mucus and blood and your fighting to take a breath, do me favour and shoot me text saying "how proud you are of killing yourself".
I've been around it and seen it too many times, smokers should too. Then again they will - eventually.

Jen

Oct 4, 2013
So then let's put a ban or make illegal ALL Fast Food outlets. Australia is quickly catching up to the great USA in the percentage of obese people in this "fair" country. All of the oil and fat consumed enjoying your Big Mac or Whopper with up sized oil soaked fries or sugar loaded large coke, does wonders for all the diabetics or people suffering from heart disease due to poor diet and life styles.
Our hospitals are equally filled with people who don't look after themselves IN GENERAL, not just smokers who make that life style choice, just as equally as your junk food addicts who must have that 1 pack of potato chips or the 1 can of coke to be them through the day. The stupid thing is, it's the tax that smokers pay that give these overweight obese people the lapband surgery to help save their lives!
Seriously, before you all start pointing fingers and saying this life style is worse than that one making my life a misery and not so enjoyable, step back and take a good hard long look at your own lives and tell us all that you are all perfect and live your lives without one single blemish. Everyone has a sinful pleasure in there life, whether it be smoking, a glass of alcohol, a grease filled hamburger or a bag of lollies. Don't bitch about something you have no control over. Everyone has been effected by horrible deaths in one way or another, whether it be a family member or close friends, we have all suffered losses. We can't change the world, so just enjoy the life you have and leave everyone else alone.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I understand the point being made by the smokers, and yes, looking at our own faults rather than focusing on other ppls is something I agree with too, but it was smoking that was the focus of my gripes, not these other issues. An obese person eating a burger is not forceably shoving burger down his neighbors throat at the same time. That's where smoking gets personal. Non-smokers are extremely sensitive to the smell, it can be nauseating & being expected to silently endure it out of 'politeness' just isn't ok.

After watching my grandmother bed ridden for a year with lung cancer, my uncles & aunty gave up smoking with difficulty & were afraid it was too late. For my aunty it was, she survived cancer the 1st time, not the 2nd. She orphaned her daughter & will never meet her grandkids. Its harsh, but this is the reality of it.

Anyway that is the last comment I will make on it as I'm not trying to have a go directly at anyone on here.

Jen

Oct 4, 2013
Putting up with the smell of cigarette smoke can be put in the same context as people who drown themselves with perfume or aftershave to make themselves smell pretty and be around people with allergies. Just walking past someone who smell overly "pretty" can set someones allergies off for the rest of the day. Itchy and snotty nose, watery eyes all because someone wants to smell pretty? They too should have consideration for others out in the public surroundings.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
When it's illegal to smoke everywhere in this country, you will have a valid point.
EXACTLY THIS! But that wont happen because they make a shitload of money from the tax. What is it now? 80% per pack of smokes are taxed?

I would like it to become illegal though. The addicts will get over their addiction over a short period of time. It will be difficult but they will overcome it. The demographic I would be worried about is the people who kept complaining about the smokers because...you know... they are going to be paying more tax one way or another to fill the void the government just lost due to not having the income from tobacco tax. I would say they would lose their right to be offended when the government slaps them with some bullshit new tax but I believe everyone has a right to be offended...