Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Surface area provided by Live Rock and Sandbed is no longer crucial in moderns reefing techniques. The problem can easily be overcome by adding surface media - such as Siporax - to the sump and Organic Carbon Dosing
Not sure if it's relevant, probably isn't. IMO, surface area is also important particularly those that looking for particular rock crevices. Finding one (LR), just like the one @ Aquaristic requires some luck whereas dry rock maybe more chances. May not be the right thinking tho.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I used to be all about the most space on live rock and still am to a big degree. BUT, I have a small tank (200l) set up with nothing but dry Tonga branch rock and it's doing good, Tonga rock is dense, VERY dense. I will temper that with I have 7 litres of Siporax in the sump so I dunno which one is doing their thing. I agree with Frank that carbon dosing goes a hell of a long way for nutrient export. At the end of the day what you have to remember is it's as simple as nutrients in, nutrients out for your organics.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Rob,
truth be known, I never wanted the driftwood, but was convinced by someone to use it as the 'solution' for the drop-off.
Leaching seems to have lessen considerably, but over time I am sure it will be a problem, so better to remove it now, rather than when corals have started to settle.
Keep you posted when D-Day is set.

Jac