Tank Journal Archive

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Livestock Thread: Corals - Fish - Invertebrates
Just a little right up of how I normally plan out my tanks. The majority of the tank, If not all my stock fish wise will be smaller and nano species due to the tank size constraints. The aim of this tank is shaped around the notion I've always kept marine tanks. By following 3 different levels of depth and the interaction they play with the eyes aesthetically.

Firstly, middle to high water column swimmers, simple fish like clowns or firegobies add that movement to the water column making it a lot more lively. Due to my tank keeping mainly just 3 corals, SPS, ZOAS and RHODACTIS MORPHS. There isn't very much movement besides the fish. Additionally, rock dwelling fish and invertebrates. Keeping such fish as blennies and gobies add a lot of character to the rock work as they have the tendency to perch amongst the rock-work and swim in and out of he cracks in the rock work. Also by adding shrimps and crabs like redlines or porcelain crabs.. It adds a lot of character without taking up to much tank space or adding bio-load to the system.

Id also like to mention the third aspect which I find very important in terms of keeping nano tanks. The sand bed is pretty boring area and you can't just place a bunch of corals to cover the empty sand without it looking like a mess. (unless you like that look) I'm a big fan of watchmen gobies paired up with their shrimp counterpart.. adding a pair of these adds a lot of life to your sand bed. These gobies coupled with their friend, borrow around the rock work making caves.. whilst the shrimp digs, the goby stands guard. However, other sand-sifting gobies like diamonds and sleeper gobies add a lot of depth to the sand bed.

I personally by ticking off these areas, I've always got something to look at each different level as its aesthetically a lot more pleasing to the eye. There's nothing wrong with having the same types of corals stacked all over your rock work coupled with lots of column swimming fish. But I much prefer strategically placed corals with a diversity of different fish and invertebrates.

:D

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Livestock List:

Fish:

2x Ocelarris Clown Fish (Currently have a naked, looking to get a solid midnight to pair)
2x Decora Goby (Currently have a single in the system)
1x Yellow Coral Goby (Currently in the system)
1x Green Mandarin Goby (Currently have a single female in the system)
1x Watchmen Goby Pair (Not yet to be obtained, Unsure what species to get)
2x Fire goby Or HellFrichi (Not yet to be obtained)

Invertebrates:

4x Peppermint Shrimp (Currently have a pair)
2x Porcelain Crabs (Currently have one in the system)
2x Spotted Anemone Shrimp (Not yet to be obtained)
4x Nassarius Snails (Currently in the system)
1x Rose Bubble Tip Anemone (Not yet to be obtained)

Corals:

Mainly keeping Sps, Zoanthids & Rhodactis Morphs with a few selective Lps Corals.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I haven't had much luck with the sifting gobies, but the watchmen gobies do VERY well in a tank and they will keep your sand bed spotless. I think it's the very reason that my 130D is doing so well, all of the crap that Digger Dan and Sarge stir up out of the sand bed. The Tiger pistol shrimp seem to pair with a lot more of the gobies than do the Randall's pistol shrimp unless you get a Yashi goby, then his preferred shrimp is the Randall's.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Your so bloody organised . It's a great way to be. That's probably something we lacked due to impatience with the last ( first) tank. We have learnt a lot & this time are doing things very differently. ! Great message your sending to newbies in this post. Thanks

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
I haven't had much luck with the sifting gobies, but the watchmen gobies do VERY well in a tank and they will keep your sand bed spotless. I think it's the very reason that my 130D is doing so well, all of the crap that Digger Dan and Sarge stir up out of the sand bed. The Tiger pistol shrimp seem to pair with a lot more of the gobies than do the Randall's pistol shrimp unless you get a Yashi goby, then his preferred shrimp is the Randall's.
Yeah, the mortality rate for sand sifting gobies are pretty high. Ive been able to keep the diamond sifter gobies in a nano tank but it did initially take some effort. A matured sandbed is a must, but i had to introduce foods from day one where daily had pumps off for 15 minutes and with a mixture of pellets and frozen foods. id make sure i squirt and bury the food into the sand where it was residing. It slowly took bites and spat it out and eventually to realise that it was food. I do this for any hard to keep fish like mandarins or scooters.

My current female mandarin is smashing pellets, both thera A new life spectrum pellets and hikari marine s pellets. Yep I agree watchmen gobies are very capable of turning over a sand bed within a system.. hence why i really do promote people regard the sand bed an imporant aspect of a healthy reef system or else it just traps nutrients if left unnoticed.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Your so bloody organised . It's a great way to be. That's probably something we lacked due to impatience with the last ( first) tank. We have learnt a lot & this time are doing things very differently. ! Great message your sending to newbies in this post. Thanks
Haha, yeah I like to be with my marine tanks. Always a planning stage with the tank and inhabitants to make sure it all can go smoothly as possible. I wouldn't call myself a perfectionist but Ive adopted mild OCD as there's nothing worst than having any of your livestock dying because you didn't plan ahead to make sure that your tank system was suitable for them.

Thanks for the feedback also, very much apprecaite that others are read this and will maybe learn or atleast take from it and apply it to their current reef tank or new setups. :D

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Just a couple shots of some livestock that I currently have in the system. One of my mutli coloured rhodactis and my porcelain crab.

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The only large gobies I've been able to keep long term are Rainfords and 4 wheel drive gobies and that was in a cesspool of a tank that I kept the nitrates at 20 to keep a small amount of hair algae to keep the pods going.

That Rhodactus is a damn nice specimen.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
The only large gobies I've been able to keep long term are Rainfords and 4 wheel drive gobies and that was in a cesspool of a tank that I kept the nitrates at 20 to keep a small amount of hair algae to keep the pods going.

That Rhodactus is a damn nice specimen.
Yeah rainfords are good gobies to keep and are quite nice in colour. I try my best to ease all my fish onto pellets because it makes it that much easier with keeping them healthy. It takes some time but it is achievable with most if not all fish. Just need to make sure youre able to remove nutrients and do a daily feed and introduce them the prepared foods.

Thanks dude, its got some nice blotches of colours on it and its pretty big too. about 6cm

Oak Park-VIC

Sep 4, 2013
Yeah rainfords are good gobies to keep and are quite nice in colour. I try my best to ease all my fish onto pellets because it makes it that much easier with keeping them healthy. It takes some time but it is achievable with most if not all fish. Just need to make sure youre able to remove nutrients and do a daily feed and introduce them the prepared foods.

Jimmy how do u ease the fish onto pellets? whats ur secret? do you keep it in a bredder box nd ONLY feed it pellets or is there another way to do so..i am thinking of getting some anthias and a couple of mandarins and would certainly make it alot easier to get them on pellets if that was possible....thankx

Oak Park-VIC

Sep 4, 2013
@JimmyDang

Jimmy how do u ease the fish onto pellets? whats ur secret? do you keep it in a bredder box nd ONLY feed it pellets or is there another way to do so..i am thinking of getting some anthias and a couple of mandarins and would certainly make it alot easier to get them on pellets if that was possible....thank

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Wednesday Trip To Eastwood Aquarium :D

Decided to take a trip to Eastwood Aquarium today with the missus and my cousin. Incredible display at first and foremost.. Been like 2 years since I've actually stepped foot into that place. Big change.. firstly with the amount of coral stock.

Initially my trip there was to go buy myself a tiger blenny for my fusion 20. Sadly Sam didn't have any stock at that time. Instead.. my wonderful girlfriend actually decided to buy me a very ugly and boring ricordea. I'm not really digging its ugly brown color.. so yeah. Pictured bellow guys.

IMG_4586.JPG

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
@JimmyDang

Jimmy how do u ease the fish onto pellets? whats ur secret? do you keep it in a bredder box nd ONLY feed it pellets or is there another way to do so..i am thinking of getting some anthias and a couple of mandarins and would certainly make it alot easier to get them on pellets if that was possible....thank
Sorry for the delayed reply dude. Youve gotta have alot of patience firstly..

the breeder box method i think doesnt really work and it stresses out the fish more than anything as its confined to a small plastic box.

I like them roam freely within the system, let them settle in fully first. The majority of all mandarins and scooter dragonets ive kept have easily taken on frozen food like cyclops and lobster eggs within days. I slowly introduce the pellet mix into the food. eventually they'll take a bite of two of the pellets.. they'll spit it out the first couple weeks.. but eventually they'll know its food and they'll start chowing it down.

thats how ive always done it. at home and at the shop i work out

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Just a few top downs of my corals. Nothing that great but my yellow ric has grown and coloured up nicely and also my blasto.. has grown about 8 head news within a months time.

20150504_101434.jpg

20150504_101334.jpg

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Just a small update on my reef tank.. my missus got me a small red fromia starfish today. Looks so vibrant and bright inside the tank.. adding a splash of red to the system.

20150521_174956.jpg

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Just a small update with how my corals are doing

My small selection of ricordeas are doing absolutely well and also my blastomussa.. the amount of new tiny baby heads sprouting is a good sign.. i can see them whilst the tank light is off and i shine a torch it to see the new heads which would normally be covered by the bigger polyps.

Do i think the kessil led unit is doing a kickarse job for my corals so far?

Hell yeah! My tank is coming together really well.

IMG_20150527_165806.jpg