Reef Discussion

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
Magnesium Dosing Mixture
OK,
So looking to increase my magnesium levels to help combat some GHA that is trying to take over.

I have got both magnesium sulphate and chloride ready to mix. I am just unsure as to the right amounts to add to make up the mixture.

I Know its 3 cups of sulphate and 5 cups of chloride.

As I only have an 80L tank I only need to mix up 1L and need to change cups to gms so I can measure out the right quantity for 1L mixture.

I have found differing information as to weight of 1 cup of sulphate and chloride.

Could you confirm if this is correct for 1L of mag mixture.

I worked out to make 1litre I add 124.7gms of mg sulphate and 203.9 gms of mg chloride into the bottle and mix it all up.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I mix 4L with mg Sulphate 3cups (673g) and mg Chloride 5 cups (1000g). When I made my first batch from 100%reefsafe I weighed the cups thus the grams as shown. I don't think it really matters as long as the ratio is about correct and your consistent with the batches YOU make.
Looking at my weights its about the same ratio as yours.

Uglyman

Mar 9, 2012
Pyalong
You probably don't want to hear this but raising your mag levels will not get rid of GHA trust me I have mag level of 1800ppm and my GHA is green and happy. Raising mag levels like your are aiming to do is only good for Bryopsis and you can't deal with Bryopsis by raising mag levels with mag sulfate or chloride. The correct way to safely raise mag levels to deal with Bryopsis is use mag sulfate/chloride to get your levels to 1600ppm then use Kent Tech M to raise the mag to 1700 - 1800ppm and keep it there for a week or more. I have succesfully eradicated Bryopsis this way but it never had any effect on my GHA, in fact once the Bryopsis was gone the GHA has gone nuts thanks to all the nutrients released by the Bryopsis.

Trust me on this you are better off keeping your P04 and nitrate levels as low as you can and for as long as you can and manually removing as much of the GHA as you can, another trick is to smother it with Kalk paste or aquakneed it putty or if you can remove some rocks there is a hydrogen peroxide dip you can make to kill it off on your rocks.

Other than those tricks it's battle it out with this horrible stuff and hope you don't have GHA like mine that thrives everywhere inbetween zoa colonies.