Reef Discussion

Pete

Apr 13, 2013
Toowoomba
Magnesium is low and want to start using kaymeor dosing pump - some advice pls
Hi my mag has been low and want to dose 2 part (Red sea reef foundations A + B - Ca + Alk) via kamoer dosing pump - need some advice please.

Readings - Mag 1000-1200, Ca 1450, Alk 8-10, SG 1.022, Temp 25-27C, N03 50, ph 8.1

Have tank jnl - see http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/petes-275l-cube.6644/

running marine with ASW.

Do I get Mag correct then start using doser or start using it know?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
assuming calc is 450 not 1450?

Get your levels right first, then monitor them, mag is generally something you dont constantly dose, more dose calc and alk and top up mag when required. In that size tank though with regular water changes levels should be ok. Have you tested a fresh batch of your ASW? Maybe it is lacking in mag? Might be worth getting a better brand?

Pete

Apr 13, 2013
Toowoomba
yes Ca 450 - 4 and 1 key hit same time sorry - corrected above - I use red sea coral pro salt and am also dosing know red Sea reef foundations C and level is 1200 - the salt mg is supposed to be 1340 - will test next batch when do water change this weekend. I was told this salt is the best? Will keep dosing mag and test after water change?

Actually will not let me correct but Ca is 450

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Hello,

Do a large water change with NSW and measure your Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium.

Calculate your tank volume using this, don't forget to consider your LR displacement.

http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

Then use this calculator to adjust your levels to the desired level.

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Measure your levels again after 1 week. Then use the calculator to determine how much of each product to dose in a week period to maintain the desired level,(assuming RODi auto top off).

Continue to check levels each week, make minor adjustment to dosing levels until you find the balance you need. Achieving the correct dosing level takes time, you will get there in the end.

You may also want to consider the levels at water changes. Provided you change the same amount each time, measure the levels in the water you use to change, use the calculator to determine what is needed to get the levels correct based on your change volume, then use this for the water change. This way, your levels will not be altered when you do a water change.

Personally, I don't dose my change out water,(NSW), I just change out less amounts more often and continue with my dosing regime to maintain an acceptable range of calcium at 440-460 mg/L / alk at 3.5 to 4.5 Meq/L and Magnesium 1350-1400 mg/L.

Good luck, welcome to the world of dosing......I might add that the purpose of dosing is to reduce water change frequency and volume. Provided you run GAC and skim very well, dosing will enable you to do smaller and less frequent water changes. Huge volume and frequent water changes are for those who don't dose, there's just no point.

I used to do huge water changes, but realised that there was no real benefit in my DT doing it. Things are far better with a controlled dosing regime, GAC and good skimming. My total volume is < 300L, I only change out 30L each week just to freshen things up. If I miss a week, its no big deal.

Pete

Apr 13, 2013
Toowoomba
Thanks but I have no access to NSW here - Toowoomba is 250km from coast - unless pay fortune for truck (which is what my mate does but he has 2000L tank! So RODI + salt it is! I could lay my hands on some NSW in my boat, but cannot go out in ocean only estuary? Is that an option and how much? 80L? Tank is looking great - have used carbon and ph as per above - RAWA is brand. Just about to do levels - see jnl cheers Pete - thanks for advice re water changes as in my nano I have worked out parameters and only need to top off for last 6 months and levels always undetectable - but no corals that tank. ps am dosing 2 part plus NOPOX from wed

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Sorry ... I am a dickhead.:banghead next time I will check what it says before opening up my mouth...:confused:
What he says is that if you buy the right salt mix you should not have to worry about adding calcium & magnesium.
although You should always test them.
I use Red Sea coral pro salt and I have never had a issue with them .

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
It depends on your SPS coral load and water change frequency....:). All invertebrates remove elements from water. If you change water often enough and don't have a large stock level, you would get away with it.

I don't do large water changes and have a large stock load, so dosing is essential to my DT stock health and growth.

Pete

Apr 13, 2013
Toowoomba
My tank is similar and Ca and Alk ok but issues with low mag - I use the same salt - red sea coral plus pro + RODI! My mag today is better and I use the dosing pump for Ca + Alk + NOPOX, NOT Mag but they are interrelated apparently and it is 1300ppm and climbing. Cheers Pete (I manually dose mag however weekly)

Pete

Apr 13, 2013
Toowoomba
and red sea foundation a b c incl. mag and one of the essential elements and they definitely recommend using mag weekly adjusted for tank bioload etc