Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Magnesium - Playing Catch Up
The funny bits about my tank is that I always playing catch up with Magnesium.

On Sunday, I brought it to my target Magnesium @ 1,320 ppm and by today (Tuesday), it is down to 1,260 ppm.

For a 2 footer CADE cube with 1x huge frogspawns, 2x small hammers, 1x small torch, few mushies, rics, zoos, leather ... the daily consumption of Magnesium is 30 ppm (Salifert test - long expiry).

The amount of increase acceptable for Magnesium as per Red Sea recommendation is 10 ppm.

Which means, on daily basis, I would need to dose 3 x 10 ppm.

Don't you think something is wrong here?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
What's you Alk and Cal?
@Mattres

Alk was raised to 9.3 (measured on Sunday morning) and as of this morning (Tuesday), it dropped to 8.3.

Ca was raised to 430 (measured on Sunday morning) and as of this morning (Tuesday), it dropped to 410.

All measurement was taken with Salifert.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
When you say you brought the level to your target, are you re-measuring just after you added reagents? Perhaps you are not allowing the tank to settle long enough before you are re-measuring?

Maybe measure once a week on the same day and do your additions on the same day each week to allow for consistency?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
When you say you brought the level to your target, are you re-measuring just after you added reagents? Perhaps you are not allowing the tank to settle long enough before you are re-measuring?

Maybe measure once a week on the same day and do your additions on the same day each week to allow for consistency?
@Savage Henry they're not tested straight after dosing. From memory, I give it approximately good 5 - 6 hours (overnight) for a good mix in the tank and do the test early morning. So logically speaking, when I test early morning, this should have been done on a well truly mixed water.

From my calculation this morning, it seems that my daily usage is:
  • 30 ppm of Mg
  • 0.5 dKH of Alk
  • 10 ppm of Ca
Hence, what am planning to dose on daily basis is:
  • 55 ml of Reef Foundation C
  • 10 ml of Reef Foundation B
  • 10 ml of Reef Foundation A
And do another retest on Saturday morning (before WC).

If the number out of whack, then the consumption calculation is incorrect.