Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Main Scape Removed
So yesterday I pulled out the main rock scape for a green hair algae removal.
Since it was a hot 32C day I tried to work as fast as possible , the wire brush got stuck in and did the job , however today the sps are showing signs of stress ( bit of bleaching) but the stags have fared a bit better. Perhaps they can cope with tides more so than everyday acro.
Let's hope that all make a full recovery.
I won't do this often but needed to make headway on my green hair algae issue!!!

mcs

Jun 14, 2014
I have slowed my algae growth now with some phosban, but it still it keeps on growing lol, i think my rocks are leaching the good stuff.

but yeah good luck hopefully you get rid of it, maybe one day i will too haha.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I have slowed my algae growth now with some phosban, but it still it keeps on growing lol, i think my rocks are leaching the good stuff.

but yeah good luck hopefully you get rid of it, maybe one day i will too haha.
It's the biggest pain ,just got some CUC

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Well I can proclaim success.
The colour is coming back on the stags but the general acros are still bleached but alive. :)
Still going to run two tubes T5 as they recover.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Its interesting watching you go through this. I'm becoming more and more anti-live rock as time goes on because of all the undesirable things it can harbour, even if you start with base rock. Some will have an easy run, others are headed for outbreak hell.

My favourite methods for dealing with hair/turf algaes are turning rocks over so it is starved of light. Hydrogen peroxide (3%) - haven't tried the stronger stuff. And my newest discovery is Phosphate RX. Must be a total pain having to scrub everything.