Tank Journal Archive

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
im confused by what you mean mushroom. Im after sps lol o_0 happy to see some pics if you got some
oh sorry. Was in response to what to do with the monti. Could break it up and stick it onto a post (acrylic, concrete?) of sorts in the tank which would grow like a mushroom log.
oyster_mush_log1.jpg

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I was already watching your tank like a hawk but now I have even more reason too haha I may have to copy your idea next time I aquscape or get a new tank ;)

Nov 15, 2012
Not sure what you mean by Cinder. Are you confusing this with Tindr? lol
I think they are for retaining wall blocks. Cement I'm guessing.
Cinder blocks are the american term.

they look like cement blocks. they would have a lot of lime in them. it will be interesting to see if that effects the corals over time as it starts to leech out.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Cinder blocks are the american term.

they look like cement blocks. they would have a lot of lime in them. it will be interesting to see if that effects the corals over time as it starts to leech out.
eek, oh well, i still have the live rock and a bucket of salt if anything goes wrong.
Lime was used in cement many years ago but I've been told by my dad that its not used anymore after they discovered that after many years it made cement weak and turn back into sand. This is very common in the era of the art deco house where the cement needs to be re-pointed between the bricks. If you have ever run your finger along the cement of these joins it crumbles like sand. Thats what the lime did to cement.

My old house did this everywhere from the towel rack holder that was drilled into the cement wall to the cement between the bricks. It was a art deco house.

Anyway i HOPE that its not in my cement blocks but any advice is welcome. Knowledge is power

Last edited:

BattleSheep

Jun 17, 2013
Werribee
eek, oh well, i still have the live rock and a bucket of salt if anything goes wrong.
Lime was used in cement many years ago but I've been told by my dad that its not used anymore after they discovered that after many years it made cement weak and turn back into sand. This is very common in the era of the art deco house where the cement needs to be re-pointed between the bricks. If you have ever run your finger along the cement of these joins it crumbles like sand. Thats what the lime did to cement.

My old house did this everywhere from the towel rack holder that was drilled into the cement wall to the cement between the bricks. It was a art deco house.

Anyway i HOPE that its not in my cement blocks but any advice is welcome. Knowledge is power
If you spray white vinegar on the concrete and it bubbles up it has lime if it does not it is Portland cement.