News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Marketplace Update
Hello everyone,

Firstly I would like to say a big thank you to all of those who purchased Gold. It helps The Reefuge grow and allows the community to create and share.

Now, here is a surprise for everyone. Over the last few weeks the marketplace has had an overhaul. It is no longer forum-based. The marketplace is now its very own little script running within the forums. All users can now go and post their listings up in the new version, which is a lot neater than before.

However, I would like to go over a few features, some of which are not yet active and some which are.

• Discussions for the listing now have their own dedicated thread which is created automatically upon listing creation. This keeps the main listing clean.
  • Listings can be updated to add in more information or questions that are frequently asked.
  • Listing information can now be found both in the listing page and the sidebar
  • Much more mobile friendly than before
  • Listings can be created from the front page now, alternatively you can navigate to the category to post a new listing
  • A list of the most active users sits on the side. The more you trade, the more known you are.
Here are some features which are not yet implemented, but are going to be released later on.

• Businesses can set up entire shops in the marketplace. Processing of payments is not done by The Reefuge, but rather from the business itself. It can be a simple thing like a paypal processor, or the processing of payment can be done via the business website.
  • Users can view items they have purchased from businesses
  • Users can rate businesses / items once they have been purchased
That is all for now, but more updates are on the way.

The old marketplace archive can be found here. Please do not continue to use this, as it will be locked soon.

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Nice! Looks really good, I like the static listing with discussion separate.

The posts show up on the activity feed and latest posts, but aren't marked corrected. In Activity feed it shows up as 'added a resource' and in latest posts it shows as 'marketplace discussion'.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Can you please outline the requirements for Businesses using the Marketplace now and later.

Thanks.
Hello @captivereef,

There are no requirements at the moment as the marketplace is only open for users and no businesses. It has yet to be decided if the marketplace will be a monthly subscription or a fee for each sale made through it for businesses. We will keep you updated, and if you have any suggestions please feel free to post them.

Thanks.

Nice! Looks really good, I like the static listing with discussion separate.

The posts show up on the activity feed and latest posts, but aren't marked corrected. In Activity feed it shows up as 'added a resource' and in latest posts it shows as 'marketplace discussion'.
Good eye. Fixed.

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
There are no requirements at the moment as the marketplace is only open for users and no businesses. It has yet to be decided if the marketplace will be a monthly subscription or a fee for each sale made through it for businesses. We will keep you updated, and if you have any suggestions please feel free to post them.
While I remember, can I suggest fixed fee? I think % of sale would discourage listing of larger items, such as the ones @captivereef sells.

Also ...
- will alerts make a reappearance?
- what happened to all of the old marketplace listings? Are they now dead?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
While I remember, can I suggest fixed fee? I think % of sale would discourage listing of larger items, such as the ones @captivereef sells.

Also ...
- will alerts make a reappearance?
- what happened to all of the old marketplace listings? Are they now dead?
Hello @chimaera,

Yes, if there is a sales fee it will be fixed, not a % of sale.

Alerts are active. You can watch a listing via the discussion page.
Old market listings are still available at the marketplace archive. These are still active, but will be getting locked soon.

Thanks.

We use ebay, and while yes we can pay a % of sale price, we understand this before we do it and have no issue with it. It would be nice if % fees were capped to stop excessive fees on large items.

Businesses may wish to list low cost items too, even $5, so you need fees to be appropriate.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @captivereef,

Right now I am thinking a monthly fee for access. Transaction fees require a lot more work and there is a lot more things to take into consideration. A monthly fee for the service with no transaction fees is currently the most likely case.

Thanks.