Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Massive Storm Hits Aitutaki.
This morning a huge storm hit the reef of Aitutaki.
So far there have been no casualties reported. Plenty of debris was seen floating in the water. Most of the debris consisted of a massive amount of coralline algae. And some other green type that sticks to glass.... The storm whipped up the gravel dune at the back of the reef and shifted it to the front causing even more froth everywhere.
Signs of no swimming in the water until it clears have been posted around the reef , however most residents are used to this activity and business as usual will happen soon.
There is also a big tide change predicted after the water clears in a couple of hours.
Usually after such big events occur pristine conditions present many photo opportunities...
I'll keep you updated subscribers ;)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
So, a powerhead fell off ?
The powerheads were fine before the storm, I can see both ended up in a bucket ATM getting what can only be described as a spring clean.... It seems that sharp razor blades coming into contact with glass is partly to blame for the storm.
The skimmer is still offline as the electricity is still knocked out to that circuit. Experts say that it was only a matter of time that such an event would occur out here in the middle of the ocean ;)

E

ezza

Sorry, really bad storm chaser habit. My husband just brought home a weather station from work that I need to install on our roof... After spending yesterday snow chasing my head is just on weather.

I really felt bad for the inhabitants of Aitutaki too...

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
It was a sad day about a month ago when I discovered the CO2 was empty. I knew there would be no chance to change and refill as the two spare CO2 were empty too!!!
I left the island to look after itself and took a plane to Perth and then on to Brisbane. I decided to put the make up dosing into the three evaporation top up buckets, not having the correct KH powder to add to the buckets I used the next best thing... Some sort of PH buffer. No measuring done I chucked it in. Good old mother in law was not even aware of the catastrophic outcome that could be blamed upon her while she was left to take charge of Aitutaki.
Well it's been a week since I have returned and have to admit that I still have no CO2 on hand for the Calcium Reactor.... we will get some water changes going. So far everything looks fantastic. Time to attend to a month old skimmer cup.

Last edited:

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Sorry, really bad storm chaser habit. My husband just brought home a weather station from work that I need to install on our roof... After spending yesterday snow chasing my head is just on weather.

I really felt bad for the inhabitants of Aitutaki too...
It's ok....
They are used to getting wetter than a beach umbrella in a monsoon.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Whoa- look out! 60-80 times flow been restored and loving it. Was contemplating upgrading to some MP 40 - before the powerheads got cleaned.
Tunze, you still got the contract.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Cheers for the fun replies guys and gals!
Now time to go fishing in the pond to see the results of the summer endler breeding program , oh and to try catch the cherry shrimp and see the colour morphs from letting them go nuts, I saw a black cherry in there the other day.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Man that pink and green combo is bloody unreal with the birdnest they don't kill each other off? I've always wanted to do this and glue them to one frag tile but everyone told me they'd just kill each other or one will kill the other.
Just Dang it and bang it together! You should see the green nest frag growing out the purple pocci on the right hand side of that flow shot. Now mate if were into montipora you could make a monti puzzle with forest fire and superman monti and even them in reverse superman and reverse forest fire!!!!! Go make puzzles with your montis, zoas and nests!!!!!! :)

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Just Dang it and bang it together! You should see the green nest frag growing out the purple pocci on the right hand side of that flow shot. Now mate if were into montipora you could make a monti puzzle with forest fire and superman monti and even them in reverse superman and reverse forest fire!!!!! Go make puzzles with your montis, zoas and nests!!!!!! :)
Yeah I think I can see it to the right side bro.. Montiporas are actually my fave sps bro. I love the scrolling montis and their growth form and those crazy coloured encrusting montiporas.. But for my tank I wanna try out and keep only a few sps. The nest.. I wanted to grow the either pink or green and the famous Dallas.