Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Maxspect Gyre 1 Month On ??
Hi, I thought I would follow up with the new Maxspect Gyre after 4 weeks of operation in our tank.
I have to say although impressed with this product overall we have found some problems that we are now addressing.

I made comment a while ago that although it is powerful and we only need to run it at 30 % to get good movement, that's the problem, it is straight flow, not random flow.

A lot of our corals seem to be getting a little unhappy with the constant flow in the one direction. We played around with the different paddles and modes, including reverse and because it can only go forward for a set time and then in reverse for the same set time, it did not solve the problem of the corals all blowing in the once direction, in reverse it was just the opposite direction. Even setting it to 1 min intervals didn't get the back and forth sway we were used to with the programmable Tunzes.

So tonight we hooked up the second gyre at the other end of the tank.
We are now running the 2 of them on opposite ends of the tank, but both are only at 10%.
We have a vortex of water in the middle of the tank (like the tunzes) and we now have the corals moving back and forth, although even at 10% some of the corals are being blasted a little more than we would like.

Aesthetically 2 of them are still a lot more pleasing to the eye than the 4 Tunzes, so we will probably have to bite the bullet and place the second Gyre on the viewing end of the new peninsular. We were trying to avoid having to do this, but I cant see any other way if you want the nice random flow.
Of course the peninsular is a fair bit larger again so once again we will have to play around with the settings to get what we want in the new tank.

So if you like (and corals like ) a random back and forth movement you defiantly need 2 Gyres and not just 1.
It will be interesting to see if the couple of corals that have been a little unhappy for a few weeks now start improving with the new placement.
Hope this helps anyone considering the new Gyre.?
photo (2).JPG

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Mines still super noisy can't stand it.40% louder than mp40 on 80
How the hell you running it at. 80% ? Have you got a monster tank ?We haven't got any more noise than the 4 tunze's. ! Have a friend with one on. 10mm glass & his is noisy too. ? We honestly can't complain

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Seems some are just noisier than others. May want to contact your seller and see if the supplier can't do anything.

Also, out of curiosity, how have you set up the two Gyres? I'd imagine for really 'random' flow, you can set the timers to separate times (forwards and reverse) and so the two Gyres will citculate water in all sorts of directions?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Seems some are just noisier than others. May want to contact your seller and see if the supplier can't do anything.

Also, out of curiosity, how have you set up the two Gyres? I'd imagine for really 'random' flow, you can set the timers to separate times (forwards and reverse) and so the two Gyres will citculate water in all sorts of directions?
So far have found that pulse mode with both set to different intervals has created the best random flow patterns with some of the larger extended Lps. We will muck around a little more tomorrow. Was a bit late tonight lol.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
How the hell you running it at. 80% ? Have you got a monster tank ?We haven't got any more noise than the 4 tunze's. ! Have a friend with one on. 10mm glass & his is noisy too. ? We honestly can't complain
No my gyre at 40% is louder than my vortech at 80%. I can hear this thing upstairs. I'm pulling it off over the weekend

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Have you thought about the gyre at one end changing direction at 1 minute intervals (I assume that is the minimum timing) together with an appropriately place Tunze creating some random movement?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Have you thought about the gyre at one end changing direction at 1 minute intervals (I assume that is the minimum timing) together with an appropriately place Tunze creating some random movement?
Yeah, tried the 1 min either direction thing. One problem being (prob the way our corals are set up) in reverse it blows the bugger out of the corals directly underneath. So much so it actually moves them from positioning. Definitely happier with the 2 of them. The tunzes are great but they are an eyesore in the tank. Although you see the Maxspect they are very slimline and not nearly as unattractive. The 2 seem to have created the movement that we and the corals like, only time will tell !

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Your about to scape a new tank. Get some tunze stream rocks to hide your pumps in. I have four tunze pumps in my tank yet you can only see them if you go looking (only have two rocks too).

as25.postimg.org_40ix23bv3_IMG_1726.jpg

I do agree though, gyre for mass movement and tunze/vortech for chaos flow. Perhaps switch gyre on for a couple of hours a day to clear out all the crap? Think of it as a tidal swell :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Very interesting I thought the Gyre was taking the hobby and turning it upside down but glad to see it isn't lol

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
So far have found that pulse mode with both set to different intervals has created the best random flow patterns with some of the larger extended Lps. We will muck around a little more tomorrow. Was a bit late tonight lol.
Mhm good to know lol, that's what I thought would be best.

Seems like the better options, even with larger tanks, is to get two of the 'weakest' versions lol. I mean if you have to set it to 10% then it's not worth the bigger version. :P

Can't wait for the 35w one.

Guess being too strong is also a problem lol.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
yeah lol make a product thats overhyped and then under deliver :P...moral of the story....take pre-orders lol guarantee'd sales without genuine reviews :P

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Don't get me wrong. I still like the product but with a tank our size we def need 2 for truly random flow We aren't complaining about it or the price point. & don't regret buying at all. Just glad we had the sense to buy. 2. !

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Don't get me wrong. I still like the product but with a tank our size we def need 2 for truly random flow We aren't complaining about it or the price point. & don't regret buying at all. Just glad we had the sense to buy. 2. !
Mhm, I personally think for the price, they are doing a lot better than originally thought even. If this is set to 100%... crazy.

If only we know two is better. :) Two would still cost... so little, pretty much, compared to Tunzes and Vortechs.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I wonder how long it's gonna be until Jebao knocks them off? :p I love the idea, but the noise aspect is a bit off putting as well as the price of $300 here in the US and they leave you damn little profit margin.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I was thinking the same thing when i saw it in store, Massive flow but it was very direct good to hear i wasnt just seeing things!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Saw one today at LFS
Did not get a chance for demo or review as mind was on other tasks.
Please can I get feedback as I am considering this as the only wavemaker in a 3 x 2 tank due to aesthetic reasons .
Would stick it on the back on the three foot side in the middle. Thanks