Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Saw one today at LFS
Did not get a chance for demo or review as mind was on other tasks.
Please can I get feedback as I am considering this as the only wavemaker in a 3 x 2 tank due to aesthetic reasons .
Would stick it on the back on the three foot side in the middle. Thanks
HI, I def wouldn't stick it on the back of the tank, I would place on one of the ends of the tank. You would have more than enough flow if placed on the end of the tank, but don't think it would be wide enough to work properly on the back wall of the tank.
I am now running 2 , either end of the tank, we tried them on the one side together (peninsular tank) & it just didn't work. So aesthetically we have had to have one on the viewing end, they do look a lot better than the tunzes I used to run.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
HI, I def wouldn't stick it on the back of the tank, I would place on one of the ends of the tank. You would have more than enough flow if placed on the end of the tank, but don't think it would be wide enough to work properly on the back wall of the tank.
I am now running 2 , either end of the tank, we tried them on the one side together (peninsular tank) & it just didn't work. So aesthetically we have had to have one on the viewing end, they do look a lot better than the tunzes I used to run.
Cheers , need pricing before I commit. How much did you pay btw? Also please give me a noise report. Lots of negative feedback out there...
Oh and silly question does it shift heaps of gravel... My gravel is super fine type.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Cheers , need pricing before I commit. How much did you pay btw? Also please give me a noise report. Lots of negative feedback out there...
Oh and silly question does it shift heaps of gravel... My gravel is super fine type.
I paid $390 each but I've heard if you shop around can get about $370. In pulse mode there is a slight humming at the higher %. But doesn't start becoming audible till about 40%. And certainly not a major problem ( although tunze's were silent). In reverse mode a lot noisier so we don't use it. You are able to direct the 2 paddles at any angle you want so shouldn't be a problem with your fine sand. Just direct it away from sand bed & go just above it. I only run mine at max. 50% on a 7 footer so I would suggest that 20% max would do the job in a 3 footer. Hope this helps

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
They haven't hit here yet either.
ive heard its the 2nd week of February. But don't know if that's true. Just remember that the smaller one will also be shorter and not cover the width of the tank as well. The current one is 30cm across don't know how much smaller the other one will be in width.