Reef Discussion

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Not a lot has changed thus far @MagicJ........

on hand now...
350 -15
700 - 32
1000 - 3

on order...
350 - 35
500 - 50
1000 - 67

Last E-mail had an ETA of 28/05 so I will contact them tomorrow & see if that is all good still.
How are we looking for boards & fittings?
:)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
The calculator to determine the power supply specifications for LDD drivers has been completed :)

Example screenshot

View attachment 11110

Instructions:
  • in the first column, select the type of LDD from the drop down list - options are 300, 350, 500, 600, 700 and 100mA versions. Use one line for each LDD to be connected to the power supply.
  • in the second column, enter the numbers of led's to be connected to each LDD.
  • in the third column, enter the forward voltage of each led. A default of 3.5v is built into the calculator and will be acceptable for the majority of members.
In the example above (from @macca_75 current build) the required minimum specifications are 45 volts, 4.15 Amps and 122 Watts. He subsequently purchased a Meanwell GS220A48-R7B which is rated for 48 volts, 4.6 Amps and 220 Watts which exceeds all of the required specifications by a reasonable margin. You should always size power supplies slightly higher than required to limit the supply working at its limit all of the time.

Please note that the LDD drivers will output from 2v to 52v, depending on the power supply - in theory this means that you can operate 1 led off a 48v power supply. I say in theory, as this is not something you necessarily want to do for 2 reasons:
  • the excess voltage needs to go somewhere - in this case it will be converted to heat which will need to be dealt with somehow. I plan on running a test on the weekend to see just how much heat is generated.
  • the efficiency of the driver is reduced considerably as shown by the following graph taken from the driver specifications
View attachment 11111

You probably don't want to be running less than 4 or 5 off a 48v supply. Thus, as with any type of constant current driver, you need to match the power supply to the number of leds to achieve the greatest efficiency.

One final note in relation to power supplies. There is an inverse relationship between the volts and amps of a PS - to achieve higher volts AND higher amps requires a larger supply, which could be more expensive. It may be possible to use some old laptop power supplies i.e. 18v or 24v just by increasing the number of LDD's and reducing the number of led's on each string. The best bet is to have a play around with the calculator to see what works best.

Cheers

Just a thought,
I know we can "post-it" for pages we want to come back to,
but do we have a download spot on TheReefuge where files like this can be easily found?
This has been handy to so many including me lol.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Well some good news!

The 1000LDD's have landed in Melb & I should get them this Wednesday.
If you are after some please let me know, I will go back & find those who wanted them & PM. :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
quick question on ldd's led group buy state that they can run up to 16 led's is this 16x3 watt leds
Dale

There are two parts to this equation - the power supply and the LED's used.

1. The LDD-H has a voltage input range of 9 - 56 volts and an output voltage range of 2 - 52 volts i.e. there is around a 4 - 7 volt drop across the LDD. At the maxiumum, if you use a 56 volt power supply then you will have 52 volts to drive the LED's. With a 48 volt power supply then you will have a round 44 volts to drive the LED's.

2. The Forward Voltage (FV) required by a LED to operate depends on the supplied current and the type/make of LED.

For example, a CREE XP-G R4 Cool White has a FV of 2.98 volts @ 500mA but 3.15 volts @ 1000mA. But, a CREE XT-E R4 Cool White has a FV of 3.09 volts @ 500mA but 3.33 volts @ 1000mA. So, different LED's, brands, bins etc will all have different FV's - you need to have a look at the Datasheet for your particular LED.
To calculate the number of LED's able to be used in each string, we simply have to divide the output voltage from the LDD by the FV of the LED.

For example : 52 volts / 2.98 volts = 17.4, say 17 LED's

It is actually not quite this simple, as the LDD is able to do some pretty tricky things - it can compensate for an under voltage situation provided the power supply has some spare watts. Time for bed tonight so that might be a post for tomorrow night.

@TheJordans - you still with me :)

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
*snorts awake*

"I'm here, @MagicJ Sir!! I'm here!! The square root of ...."

I promise to read this thread through and try to come out with an intelligent question ;) (This could take a while ... lol)

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
so the square root of pie is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pie droolllll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

so if I run 12 with a 48 volt power supply I should be ok ( me thinks) still working out what leds I need to get now dammit dammit might pm u again @MagicJ when I have sorted out what I think I want :-)