Reef Discussion

ryanr

Jun 2, 2012
Templestowe
Melbourne Water - continue with RO or not?
Hey everyone,
Just curious and apologies if I'm repeating an existing thread.

I currently use RO/DI for both top-up and mixing my ASW (PSI Filter)

The TDS out of the tap is 27-31, which, based on what I've researched is minor.

Many a LFS suggest that RO/DI is not necessary in Melbourne, and tap water with a good conditioner (i.e. Prime or AquaVitro Alpha) is enough here.

So I'm curious, is it really worth the 'waste water' and hours waiting for RO, or are people having no ill effects with treated tap water in their Reefs?

I currently use Prime for my FW and love it.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
its not the overall quality of the water its what they add to it that we are trying to remove, also you have to rember melb's water storages are lakes, rotting wood/fecies ect ect. are all present in it

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
27-31 is still more than 0 - and the cost of the conditioner is probably going to be more than the cost of producing you own water.

ryanr

Jun 2, 2012
Templestowe
Yeah I know, and irrespective of what the actual TDS is, I went with RODI when starting because of the horror stories about tap water.

It'd be nice to know what the 27-31 actually is?

Maybe a Brita filter or similar removes the small TDS I've got. Be an interesting experiment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against RO/DI, and will continue to use it. I don't want to compromise the setup, but if there's a more efficient method (i.e. faster, no waste) that still gives me 0 TDS, well I'd be all for it.

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
I'd say get RO... i find i get algae outbreaks etc using tap water and the corals don't seem to like it so much.. if u cant afford the water bill from the waste + the ro unit.. I get it from my lfs for $2 for 25l...

ryanr

Jun 2, 2012
Templestowe
I'd say get RO... i find i get algae outbreaks etc using tap water and the corals don't seem to like it so much.. if u cant afford the water bill from the waste + the ro unit.. I get it from my lfs for $2 for 25l...
I already use RO/DI ;)
Just looking at alternatives, given the low TDS in my tap water.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It'd be nice to know what the 27-31 actually is?

Maybe a Brita filter or similar removes the small TDS I've got. Be an interesting experiment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against RO/DI, and will continue to use it. I don't want to compromise the setup, but if there's a more efficient method (i.e. faster, no waste) that still gives me 0 TDS, well I'd be all for it.
VaultBoy might be offer a comment on this :)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
My tap water is about 700uS (approx 350 tds) so 30 is pretty good! There is however no way to know what is in there without a lab and by the time you get tne results it would have cganged anyway. Really the only way to get to 0tds is to use RO or DI or both and then there is nothing left but h2o!

ryanr

Jun 2, 2012
Templestowe
Hehe, thanks everyone. Like I say, I use RO/DI, have from the very first fill!

Just annoys me having waste 1.5:1 L (I can only use so much of it), and the time, I need to set reminders all day!

Especially during winter, when nothing needs water.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Try buying your saltwater instead of mixing your own if you can (assuming you have access to it). People living away from a cheapish source have even been known to build dedicated 1000lt ibc trailers to make it worth their while. Your top off shouldn't use that much ( compared to what you are producing now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shantelle

Sep 18, 2011
Warrnambool
Hehe, thanks everyone. Like I say, I use RO/DI, have from the very first fill!

Just annoys me having waste 1.5:1 L (I can only use so much of it), and the time, I need to set reminders all day!

Especially during winter, when nothing needs water.

Hi, i set mine up next to our washing machine, and put the 2nd hose in it, saves water that way :)