Mid August Update

Discussion in 'Nano Reef Tanks' started by daveH, Aug 15, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    Did my monthly tank cleanup today. I get stuck in and clean any buildup on the back wall, it really improves the overall look of the tank with the back wall all nice and black again.
    I can't believe how the coraline has taken off in the tank, it's looking really good. I like it because where it is no crap algae grows which stops a lot of headaches having the bad stuff take over. It's even plating on some of the rockwork which looks great.
    I've followed @Lesley and stopped dosing NoPox, just to see how the system reacts and if I really need to dose that stuff.
    So far the Phos and Nitrates are excellent.
    I'm also changing over from the Seachem products I used to dose for Alk, Calc, and Mag and now using Randy's Recipe.
    I've used Randy's before and have successfully kept excellent levels (lot cheaper too!)
    My nem has been on the move the last 2 weeks :rage. It has gone from 1 side of the tank to the other then back again. It's now tucked into the rocks under the hammers, much to the disapproval of the clowns. Hopefully it will find it's 'happy place' without causing too much mayhem.
    Thought I'd throw in a pic of one of my trachys at feeding time. Slowly learning with the new camera.

trachy-feed.jpg
    • Love It! Love It! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +4,679
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
  3. BlueBolts

BlueBolts Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    Wow, what a brilliant pic :)

Was wondering about NoPox too..... Please keep us posted
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lesley

Lesley Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +2,227
    Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    Well I officially stopped the nopox 9 weeks ago and the tank has never look better Nitrates & phos excellent gonis extremely happy. Like you DaveH my coraline has gone nuts. I am having to clean it off side glass grrrrr !! My plating has gone berserk. Do you think it's the trace & plus ?? Funny how both tanks have excellent growth coraline growth all of a sudden ? Beautiful coral shot by the way. ! So jealous of decent cameras !
  5. curly747

curly747 Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Great picture. I love the little things in this hobby that are amazing. I think you maybe mastering that camera.
  6. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    The change over from commercial products to Randy's Recipe is working out well. I think I now have the dosage correct to keep the Alk and Mag at excellent levels. The calcium will come later when I run out of the commercial stuff shortly.
    No more NoPoX has made any dramatic changes to the tank. I've (re)placed a bag of PhosGuard and added a bag of RowaCarbon which seems to be keeping everything nice and clear.
    The nem has stopped traveling for the moment - but is tucked into the rocks under the hammers, which I guess is better than causing mayhem throughout the tank.
    I've just been informed there will be a power out next Tuesday for most of the day. It shouldn't be a problem, I have my UPS to kick in and supply just the basics which should handle the time-out.