Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Mid Year Update

Everything has settled down nicely after the Fluconazole treatment. GHA completely gone and the tank is looking really clean.
The SPS are getting good growth, even some smaller pieces that I fragged have encrusted which I put down to the new Radion lights and target dosing.
I've recently started dosing with Red Sea Reef Energy A & B and I'm quite impressed with the results. Twice a week I mix up a batch with a dash of Reef Roids thrown in for good measure and target dose each of the corals.
I decided to remove all my Marine Pure, it was starting to break up and getting messy. I'm hoping that the million dollars worth of Siporax I put in at the begging of the year would be doing its job by now. I've also setup a refugium with some chaeto under a grow light - it seems to be taking off and at the moment my phos and nitrate levels are looking good and reasonably consistent. So far it looks like the chaeto is having a good effect.
My desired end result is to have the tank run without using depleting media. That means no reactors to have to be continually adjusted for their correct output.
The scape is finally growing out and filling most spaces. I've decided to let the corals create their own spaces and boundaries with each other. They seem to be doing this without any major wars.
The fish are doing fine except the Yellow Eye Kole went through a couple of weeks of not looking too good. At first he looked a bit dusty and it looked a bit like Velvet but that started clearing up then he got this big lump under his skin in front of his left side fin. All the while he was acting normally and eating well so I just kept an eye on him and made sure he was eating well. The lump has now completely gone and he's back to normal.
I recently added a Talbot damsel, 3 actually but 2 completely disappeared. The one left is a driving me nuts with his digging - throws sand everywhere the little shit.
Update on the Talbots, I thought I would give 2 more a go and it was a success this time. Although 1 of them is now lacking a bit in the tail fin department due to introductions - they are all swimming about together nicely.
So I'm quite happy with everything at the moment, tank is algae free, corals are certainly growing, fish are fat and happy, beer is cold.
Cheers

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Hey... What happened to the secret Seachem formulae

it does look insane though

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The tank is looking really happy, love the look of the elegance on the right side
I already called dibs on the elegance coral so back off youngin'!!! :D

I had a monster back in the 80s Dave, it was a good 50cm across. Back then the Indo ones grew like weeds. I got 19 months before the Indo ones all died in my systems and I still don't have a clue as to why.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Hey... What happened to the secret Seachem formulae

it does look insane though
I was at the end of my Trace and Plus bottles and happened to be given some Reef Energy A & B by the rep to try. I really was impressed with the results and have continued with it.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I still do the secret potion, plus Red Sea A&B as well. Oh and did I mention reefroids... enough there to hit every requirement you can imagine.
Why you telling them our secrets? I feel like a mad scientist with my farm tanks a little of this and watch what happens. My wife says if I buy a DeLorean she's gonna have me put in the looney bin, lol.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Why you telling them our secrets? I feel like a mad scientist with my farm tanks a little of this and watch what happens. My wife says if I buy a DeLorean she's gonna have me put in the looney bin, lol.
If you get that DeLorean I think I can get a Flux Capacitor for you.