Reef Discussion

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
Minored 150 Skimmer Help
Hey everyone,
I have the aquaone minireef 150 tank and has been running about 9months. I've got 2 questions I was hoping people could help me with.
1) I've got the stock g216 skimmer and would like to upgrade to something quiter if that's possible and although I don't find it does a terrible, im sure there are skimmers that do a far better job
2) I would like to add a refugium sometime soon, but not sure if it would fit if I install a new skimmer (the g216 is hang on so although it's inside the sump it doesn't actually take up any floorspace). Anyone with a minireef150 both upgraded skimmer and had a refugium?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
IMAG0256.jpg

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I have seen people put calupra and chaeto in those sumps with good effect. You will have to stop weed getting in your pumps though. As for a skimmer upgrade, something with a small footprint like a coral box or bubble magus would work well.

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
That's great to know! Have they put the chaeto where the skimmer inlets currently are or where I have the marine pure? I would assume it would be where I have the marine pure, but if I was to get a new skimmer it would only leave about 12cmx17cm (depending on skimmer obviously) room to keep the chaeto and I wasn't sure if that would be enough?

Hey everyone,
I have the aquaone minireef 150 tank and has been running about 9months. I've got 2 questions I was hoping people could help me with.
1) I've got the stock g216 skimmer and would like to upgrade to something quiter if that's possible and although I don't find it does a terrible, im sure there are skimmers that do a far better job
2) I would like to add a refugium sometime soon, but not sure if it would fit if I install a new skimmer (the g216 is hang on so although it's inside the sump it doesn't actually take up any floorspace). Anyone with a minireef150 both upgraded skimmer and had a refugium?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
View attachment 56747
Have a look at the coral box skimmers from Fish street, They are bullet proof mate. great performance for very good money. It'll blow your current skimmer out of the water. Reefuge is good but you need a bit of space and a good light, Ii run a PAR38 grow light and its great.

I have seen people put calupra and chaeto in those sumps with good effect. You will have to stop weed getting in your pumps though. As for a skimmer upgrade, something with a small footprint like a coral box or bubble magus would work well.
And yes youd need to have a way of stopping bits of chaeto going onto your pumps....

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
I started out with that skimmer as well, any upgrade it better! Even just in terms of cleaning it out my god I hated that thing.

I have the D500 fish street skimmer they've both mentioned above and it works great, I had a hang on reef octopus BH 1500 in between as well and it was much better than the aqua one.

I had a tiny fuge in my last set up and it didn't do much, I was thinking about running one again but have ended up not doing it. Have you had a look at an algae scrubber instead of the normal fuge? I've seen a few good stories about them on youtube and they take up a lot less room

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
Thanks so much guys. I'm check out those skimmers as haven't heard of them. I liked the idea of the fuge for pods, but perhaps I'm better off leaving that for the tank upgraded! (once the wife gets over the cost of this one that is)

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
Had a look, the d500 footprint is just a tad to big (I only have 17cm width) but the d300 should fit...in searching I came across the JNS co-1. Anyone had experience with it?
Also do you guys with the coral boxes find them quite? I saw some people saying they are but the video on the fishstreet site makes them sound really loud!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
The coralbox skimmers run a DC pump so they should be dead quiet. You will probably only hear the sound of the bubbles being produced.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Over the sound of the rest of my tank I can barely hear the D500 unless I'm sitting in front of the sump. Thing to watch for is the high, I've left myself a bit short in space to remove the skimmer cup as well as my sump is running a bit too deep so i need to figure out what i can do there

I've'e had the D300, 500 and 700. Out of the three the D300 came with a centrifugal wheel and not a pin wheel. This was an upgradable part. But maybe they have changed that to the pin wheel by now. Pin wheel was quiet but the centrifugal wasn't. So just make sure you get the pin wheel if its not standard by now.

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
I've'e had the D300, 500 and 700. Out of the three the D300 came with a centrifugal wheel and not a pin wheel. This was an upgradable part. But maybe they have changed that to the pin wheel by now. Pin wheel was quiet but the centrifugal wasn't. So just make sure you get the pin wheel if its not standard by now.
Tried looming on site but couldn't see anywhere mentioning if it was pin or not....any idea how I would order one enduring it has the pin wheel?

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
@Buddy has the d300 turned up yet? What's your thoughts?

Pretty sure I've decided to get this skimmer...the jns co-1 looks great so is still tempting but I think the d300 will suit tank better and be quiter....

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
@Buddy has the d300 turned up yet? What's your thoughts?

Pretty sure I've decided to get this skimmer...the jns co-1 looks great so is still tempting but I think the d300 will suit tank better and be quiter....
Auspost tracking says it is supposed to arrive today so I will let you know.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Its overflowing right now but that's just because I haven't skimmed in a few weeks. Ill let you know once its dialed in.

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
How things going @Buddy ? I did a bit of a remeasure and I think I can just squeeze in the d500 but not sure if that's to big for my 180litre-ish tank....how big is your tank? You think the d300 will do the job?