Reef Discussion

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
miracal mud
hi does any one use this is it worth it. i am in process of building new sump if people thing it is worth while i will mod my sump to run it

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Can of worms opened here! I see people that use it swear by it, personally I don't use it and never had, I don't feel like i ever will either, people tell me you can get away skimmer less with miracal mud. Darren at reef secrets uses it I think

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
yeah been reading think can of worms opened :)

just thinking about the trace element side of things was still going to run sump as normal but was thinking of a small area (100 long 500 wide) of mud then my fuge with l/rock etc then return still going to run skimmer oin my over flow section. just unsure

even looking at building a bio pellet reactor thingy and plumbing that in instead

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
Miracle mud can be used in a refugium as the substrate, in which it grows macro algae very well because of the amount of iron in it, and it can also be used as a substrate for a remote DSB in your sump for nutrient control by itself, simultaneously releasing trace elements to aid in coloration of coral.

I have seen system run with it, and it works very well. ECO aquarium is running trials on YOutube with this at the moment, very interetsing stuff, here is the link.

the tri and quad tank trials are the ones you want to look at, but the other videos are very interesting as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lengksy

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
I'm using (about 11/2-2months now) and to be honest I haven't seen much difference ?! Really considering going back to rowaphos soon

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I was wondering how long before this would pop up on here, seems everyone is being amazingly civil. kudos!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
i havnt seen any proper studies on it either, the two usual offenders advanced aquarist and glass box design seem relatively silent on it. probably didn't want to get fire bombed!

MavG

Nov 8, 2011
Newcastle
firstly, Carbon Dosing and Biopellet are the same thing, they both provide food (organic carbon) for bacteria too feed off in order to reduce nutrient.

Secondly, if the directions are not followed, and a system is not run as it is supposed to be, ANY form of nutrient reduction can go south and crash a system.

Saying something as broad it is "very easy to crash your system with biopellets" is of course correct if you dont understand the dynamics of the system, and know exactly how it works, but this is true for any form of nutrient reduction if not run correctly.

If you are also considering running Roawphos again, it is a fair, and almost unequivocally absolute sign that you are nitrate limited. read my blog post here for more info. http://wateralchemy.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/nutrient-reduction-using-organic-carbon.html

In essence, weather it is miracle mud with a refugium and macro, liquid/solid(biopellet) carbon dosing, rowaphos and deep sand bed, or whatever the system may be that you are using for nutrient reduction, RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.

Even if there is scientific data on the system, NOTHING, i repeat NOTHING compares to seeing actual results in peoples tanks, and seeing the results in your own tank. If your not comfortable with the system, don't use it, but if there is sound evidence showing that it works and you understand the scientific principals behind it, then by all means it should successfully work for you.

But whatever you do, DO NOT dismiss a system or approach just because you havent used it, or there have been a few bad reports on it, most of the time you will find these bad reports and opinions will come from people who 1. havent even used the product 2. have used it but not applied it properly or 3. and this is connected to the last statement, have applied it, and not understood the dynamics and functions of the given system for nutrient reduction.

nitrate limitation when carbon dosing (especially biopellets) is a prime example of 2 & 3.

Dismissing things we do not properly understand, weather we have used them or not, is a SURE AND INEVITABLE road to failure

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
firstly, Carbon Dosing and Biopellet are the same thing, they both provide food (organic carbon) for bacteria too feed off in order to reduce nutrient.

Secondly, if the directions are not followed, and a system is not run as it is supposed to be, ANY form of nutrient reduction can go south and crash a system.

Saying something as broad it is "very easy to crash your system with biopellets" is of course correct if you dont understand the dynamics of the system, and know exactly how it works, but this is true for any form of nutrient reduction if not run correctly.

If you are also considering running Roawphos again, it is a fair, and almost unequivocally absolute sign that you are nitrate limited. read my blog post here for more info. http://wateralchemy.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/nutrient-reduction-using-organic-carbon.html

In essence, weather it is miracle mud with a refugium and macro, liquid/solid(biopellet) carbon dosing, rowaphos and deep sand bed, or whatever the system may be that you are using for nutrient reduction, RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH.

Even if there is scientific data on the system, NOTHING, i repeat NOTHING compares to seeing actual results in peoples tanks, and seeing the results in your own tank. If your not comfortable with the system, don't use it, but if there is sound evidence showing that it works and you understand the scientific principals behind it, then by all means it should successfully work for you.

But whatever you do, DO NOT dismiss a system or approach just because you havent used it, or there have been a few bad reports on it, most of the time you will find these bad reports and opinions will come from people who 1. havent even used the product 2. have used it but not applied it properly or 3. and this is connected to the last statement, have applied it, and not understood the dynamics and functions of the given system for nutrient reduction.

nitrate limitation when carbon dosing (especially biopellets) is a prime example of 2 & 3.

Dismissing things we do not properly understand, weather we have used them or not, is a SURE AND INEVITABLE road to failure

thanks this is the sort of replys i was hoping for going to read your blog now cya