Reef Discussion

Would you try Miracle Mud ?

• Total voters

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Miracle Mud
I know this has been talked about however i havnt seen it in a while. Is anyone using or have experience with Miracle Mud? It has always been a curiosity for me, some people love it and some hate it. Id like to hear of success and failure stories and any other experience you have had or heard of. It seems like a pretty simple system, only having to change 50% of the mud each year. It also claims you wont need a skimmer however i would probably want to run one at the same time (or is this counter productive to the process of the mud????)

DAY1

Jun 8, 2012
Brisbane
I know this has been talked about however i havnt seen it in a while. Is anyone using or have experience with Miracle Mud? It has always been a curiosity for me, some people love it and some hate it. i.d like to hear of success and failure stories and any other experience you have had or heard of. It seems like a pretty simple system, only having to change 50% of the mud each year. It also claims you wont need a skimmer however i would probably want to run one at the same time (or is this counter productive to the process of the mud????)
I have been using it in my 7ft tank since 26.01.11 , I have an Ecosystem 4822 acrylic sump , this is made for Miracle Mud use , i have 60 lbs in there and grow a macro species that floats on top and forms a thick layer aprox 15 to 20 cms thick , It is expensive to start up , and you need the correct amount of it , i have heard of people who have tried it ( 10 lbs in a 1500 ltr system ) and wonder why it didn't work for them !
I also run a Supermarin 250 skimmer , they have found that running MM with a skimmer is the way to go :)
There are plenty of knockers of this product , most have never used it the correct way and in the correct sump , with the correct ammounts
Ever wonder why most members of Siam Reef Club , ( Ching Chai , Mafia etc ) use it in there beautiful systems :worship
Anyway , i use it and love it , However there are many different ways to achieve the same result :D

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
@Sarg is using it but removing soon I think - I believe due to the conflict with zeo.

But overall it looks great, in a bigger tank I might consider it myself

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
I have been using it in my 7ft tank since 26.01.11 , I have an Ecosystem 4822 acrylic sump , this is made for Miracle Mud use , i have 60 lbs in there and grow a macro species that floats on top and forms a thick layer aprox 15 to 20 cms thick , It is expensive to start up , and you need the correct amount of it , i have heard of people who have tried it ( 10 lbs in a 1500 ltr system ) and wonder why it didn't work for them !
I also run a Supermarin 250 skimmer , they have found that running MM with a skimmer is the way to go :)
There are plenty of knockers of this product , most have never used it the correct way and in the correct sump , with the correct ammounts
Ever wonder why most members of Siam Reef Club , ( Ching Chai , Mafia etc ) use it in there beautiful systems :worship
Anyway , i use it and love it , However there are many different ways to achieve the same result :D

Plus one I would just repeat what DAY1 said. I even used it without a skimmer for a while with good success but I am using a skimmer now and happy I am. One of the draw back yoused to be the price but it has come down a lot which is good as I need to change mine :p

Like everything reef related for every one person who likes it there will be 10 who don't. Just one of those things that you may need to try and find out :)