Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
We mix half and half into one bottle for auto dosing.
I saw what you do I am hoping u can help me with what I should do. I don't have a dosing pump. Would you add 35ml of each 2xweek or spread it over and do perhaps. 5ml each a day ???? Or 10ml a day each. What would before effective do you think ?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I would be more inclined to spread the required amount over the week with daily dosing, which I guess is a bit of a pain without auto dosing.
I actually dose twice a day just to even it out even more.

E

ezza

i use these now. a while back i was using the Red Sea ABCs etc and ran out. Asquith recommended Seachem. I've used Prime and Stability for years in my fresh systems so bought it happily. I throw in 20mL of each with a medicine cup twice a week as the bottle prescribes (i just chuck it in the sump where the main pump is- i'm not precious). it most certainly works. i have basically added all new corals and fish, everything is great, I have Tree Coral, Rics, Morphs, Nems, Hammer, Leather etc... i was quite worried about adding corals after losing almost everything... the change was certain and visible in the old ones and the new ones have improved and beautified.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
i use these now. a while back i was using the Red Sea ABCs etc and ran out. Asquith recommended Seachem. I've used Prime and Stability for years in my fresh systems so bought it happily. I throw in 20mL of each with a medicine cup twice a week as the bottle prescribes (i just chuck it in the sump where the main pump is- i'm not precious). it most certainly works. i have basically added all new corals and fish, everything is great, I have Tree Coral, Rics, Morphs, Nems, Hammer, Leather etc... i was quite worried about adding corals after losing almost everything... the change was certain and visible in the old ones and the new ones have improved and beautified.
Thanks for that, I am assuming that you use it as a coral food ? Do you feed anything else or only those two products ? Do you turn the skimmer off ?
I too used seachem religiously with my fresh water tanks and like you absolutely love their products. It just seems to not be as cost effective as the red sea, but if I can get results then I suppose its worth them money.
If you dont mind me asking, why did you lose almost everything in your tank, what happened ?

E

ezza

I listed the food things I feed in a thread somewhere about feeding. Basically mysis, prawn, brine and reef roids and flake food and nori. I have added the aminos to the food but usually literally just toss the stuff into the tank.

I got very sick in October and was unwell for a month or so. Then in summer with the heat we had I had trouble keeping temps down and combined with a skimmer that wasn't actually working effectively my nitrates went through the roof to 80ppm. I just couldn't save it in time.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I listed the food things I feed in a thread somewhere about feeding. Basically mysis, prawn, brine and reef roids and flake food and nori. I have added the aminos to the food but usually literally just toss the stuff into the tank.

I got very sick in October and was unwell for a month or so. Then in summer with the heat we had I had trouble keeping temps down and combined with a skimmer that wasn't actually working effectively my nitrates went through the roof to 80ppm. I just couldn't save it in time.
OMG. that is such a shame. Glad your back on track. Thanks for the advise much appreciated. The heat wave certainly worried me this year. we had numerous blackouts. I started on a couple of occasions floating frozen 2 liter coke bottles in the tank to cool it down. lol

E

ezza

I put every ice pack we had in but they just couldn't stay frozen long enough. I'll get a chiller for next summer.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Dosed my first 50ml of each last night. Can I ask do u turn skimmers off for a while ? How long did it take before you started to see results ? Thanks !!!
I don't turn anything off because it gets auto dosed throughout the day.
We actually noticed improvements within 1 to 2 weeks. Stuff like polyp extension on stuff that barely had any, elegance and hammers extended more. zoas full and extended. etc.
I hope it works for you just as well.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I have a Hailea 300A for $300... I have two of them and selling one. Used for 9 months.
Thank you very much, I actually have a dosing unit sitting in a box, dont know how to use, set or mix and too chicken of making a mistake.
lol

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thank you very much, I actually have a dosing unit sitting in a box, dont know how to use, set or mix and too chicken of making a mistake.
lol
Dosing units are a piece of cake to setup.
Get it out of the box and find a position for it next to your sump (if you have a sump)
Run your tubing to where you want it to drip into and make sure it's secure.
Set you dosing unit to manual and press in a test number of units (say 20 units on slow for eg)
Have the end of your dosing tube run into a small medicine measuring cup and run the unit and then measure how much comes out. You can do this test with water if you want, save mucking around with your chemicals.
Also, to prime the tubing, run the manual setting a few times until the water starts to drip out of the tube - then start to measure it.
Then just adjust the timer setting till you get the required output.
If you're worried about it staying accurate, run it for a day or so (just with the water) and keep a track of the outputs.
They really are simple to use and once you have it setup they just keep nice constant dosing for you.
dosing-1.jpg
dosing-2.jpg

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Well I have two words......Thank You !
I have been using your secret formula for 2 weeks and have already noticed a difference.
Not just a little different but a great difference.Not just on polyp Extension but more color !!
I have quite a few reds in my tank and although I have always been reasonably happy with the overall color of them, I agree with an early statement you made, its almost like the tank is on steroids
Although it is fairly expensive I have found someone that sells the 2ltr bottles which works out a little cheaper than the 500ml.
I have been dosing 50ml of each twice a week.
Thank you once again for your advice, very much appreciated.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thank goodness someone else was able to get the same results we were.
It really is a brilliant combination, I hope others give it a try also.
I think @somethingfishy76 cut back on the dosing slightly and still got great results, maybe he can advise on this and save you a bit of money.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
This little orange one only every showed when I target fed him, now he is like this all the time.
Little red bubble
photo 4.JPG
is looking amazing since too. Love it
photo (2).JPG

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Thank goodness someone else was able to get the same results we were.
It really is a brilliant combination, I hope others give it a try also.
I think @somethingfishy76 cut back on the dosing slightly and still got great results, maybe he can advise on this and save you a bit of money.
Brilliant. Thanks for that. Will wait and see if he responds and how much lower he dosed.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I recently got one 2Lt bottle of each from aquatic addict on ebay. Both delivered for 150 bucks :) Will probably just be adding it once a week on the tanks. Perhaps some before and afters would be great on here?
Oh and on the bottles it recommends the two put together so they must know why!

Hi guys, wow I'm so happy that some of you are also giving this mixing thing a shot. Polyp extension and color is so much better and when I say better I mean huge.

I did turn my dosing down but only to see if I could optimize and get longer running out of my bottles. I used to dose 6-7 ml a day but am down to 5ml a day now. My tank has a volume of about 350L.

Tell everyone! It's a cheap and very effective way to get your Reef looking awesome.

Where did you guys find he 2ltr bottles?