Reef Discussion

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Ay long term updates.......:)
Hi Rob. I saw such fast results with the trace & plus with extension & feeding response and that continues. And over time I like David H have def noticed growth on blasto & duncan and funnily enough my goniporas.which I had not really noticed before. The only problem I am having (not sure if related at all) is my coraline growth has gone out of control. I have it every where, scrapping off glass almost every day and have just noticed this morning that it is now encroaching on the skeleton of my trachy and is touching the flesh. I don't know if this will create a problem & if yes how to remove it ? Any ideas ?
@daveH have you had a problem with excess coraline growth ? Do you think it is related to Trace & Plus ?
I have to dose a heap more cal & alk to just feed it, very annoying.
Although getting some really nice plating shapes all over rocks, which I love.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Hi Rob. I saw such fast results with the trace & plus with extension & feeding response and that continues. And over time I like David H have def noticed growth on blasto & duncan and funnily enough my goniporas.which I had not really noticed before. The only problem I am having (not sure if related at all) is my coraline growth has gone out of control. I have it every where, scrapping off glass almost every day and have just noticed this morning that it is now encroaching on the skeleton of my trachy and is touching the flesh. I don't know if this will create a problem & if yes how to remove it ? Any ideas ?
@daveH have you had a problem with excess coraline growth ? Do you think it is related to Trace & Plus ?
I have to dose a heap more cal & alk to just feed it, very annoying.
Although getting some really nice plating shapes all over rocks, which I love.
Yes, I'm certainly getting a lot of coraline growth. It hasn't taken over anything but is all over the black gravel subtrate.
I only get a couple of tiny specs on the glass every couple of days.
I really don't mind it because of how much it stops all the nasties growing and as you said it looks neat when it's plating.
I do have to bump up my Calc input but being Randy's it's a cheap fix.
I got rid of some of it when I left that Collector Urchine in the tank for a couple of weeks, they eat it like crazy.
I took it out for a while because it looked like I had spilled icecream on the rocks . . ha ha

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
OK I've just placed an order for Trace & Plus...purely from peer-group "envy"! I would like to get more extension on my existing Goni and fungia and would like to add a couple more Goni's in 2015. All whilst hopefully not browning out my SPS. After no dosing in 2014 (just daily water changes) I think I have a good base to see any changes that Seachem can provide.

I'll wade through the last 4 pages and get the dosing regime.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
image.jpg
image.jpg
OK I've just placed an order for Trace & Plus...purely from peer-group "envy"! I would like to get more extension on my existing Goni and fungia and would like to add a couple more Goni's in 2015. All whilst hopefully not browning out my SPS. After no dosing in 2014 (just daily water changes) I think I have a good base to see any changes that Seachem can provide.

I'll wade through the last 4 pages and get the dosing regime.
Don't have to wade through. I follow directions on bottle as directed by seachem ! Keep in fridge although if doing weekly water changes I would only dose trace once a week. That's what I do. Plus 2 x week trace 1x week. ( instead of 2). Will be interested in your feed back.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I did ask on the redsea forum what is the highest temp it should be kept for longer term. i was really hoping it might be OK kept at ~15 degrees however got no reply. i was looking at one of those USB fridges on ebay

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I did ask on the redsea forum what is the highest temp it should be kept for longer term. i was really hoping it might be OK kept at ~15 degrees however got no reply. i was looking at one of those USB fridges on ebay
Trace & plus is seachem not Red Sea. Maybe that's why they didn't answer. Lol. Hope you ordered the right stuff ?

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I add the Trace to my ATO and once the dosing pumps get here there will be a diluted form of Plus added through a dosing pump.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Yeah all good, your funny though :) it was with reference to their reef energy products which also need refrig. If anybody does know or can find out what the max temperature is for these types of products it would be great...

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Yeah all good, your funny though :) it was with reference to their reef energy products which also need refrig. If anybody does know or can find out what the max temperature is for these types of products it would be great...
I'd venture a guess at about 4-5 degrees. There are amino acids and enzymes in there. If it were to get contaminated by bacteria the smell would be horrific, lol.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Hi ya, guys.
I actually contact Seahcem about using in a dosing pump and the said that they dont recommend it being used in a doser. for couple of reasons. Yes Plus needs to be kept refrigerated (cold) didn't state temp exactly. And secondly because it works better being dosed the recommended dose rate on bottle which is twice a week each, and not together but at lease a day apart. Seachem have a great customer service site they always answer questions withing 24hrs.
Here is s a link to conversation I had with them .
http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=3943&highlight=reef

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I think I put this in an earlier post, but I spread my dosing out over the week.
I worked out that I need 12ml of each per week, so I dose 3ml of each on alternate days. (I fudge it a bit so it works out correctly).
I use an eyedropper to squirt it into the DT and have found that it helped in the recovery by directly squirting it on an ailing hammer.

Last edited:

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Excited, got my trace & plus today, Did a couple of iphone shots of my fungia, duncan and goni hopefully as a before-and-after. Although a little disappointed I put 20 ml of PLUS into the tank and still nothing has happened and its been an hour. Maybe I'll have to give it a little more time ;).

On a more serious note....Ill come back in a few weeks time...

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I'm doing this to a lobo that's in the process of dying, we'll see if it works.
Certainly worth a try, it would be great to see it come good. :)
Also, do you target feed you lobo? I feed mine tiny pieces of prawn every week and it thrives on it.

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I've tried feeding it a lot of different foods and different sized foods, it rejects everything I give it. I can tell you this, it's the last corals I get from that supplier. Everything except the leather we got from them has died.The worst part is they came highly recommended as a supplier.