Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
That's a real shame. There are LFSs that I won't buy corals from anymore also. But there are a few that always have excellent healthy stock.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'm done with wholesalers here, it's time to get off my duff and start transshipping. In the little time I've been back into it I've lost specimens that I NEVER EVER lost before. Some of these guys need to take systems off line and bleach the ever loving hell out of them and restart. I mean who the hell kills a damn Orange Skunk clown? Seriously?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I have a 100L tank and currently dose 3ml of each on alternate days.
Meaning I dose 3ml of Plus one day, then 3ml Trace the next day and so on.
I keep both products in the fridge as per Seachems recommendations.
These products have given some great results for quite a few of us here - enjoy the results.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I have a 100L tank and currently dose 3ml of each on alternate days.
Meaning I dose 3ml of Plus one day, then 3ml Trace the next day and so on.
I keep both products in the fridge as per Seachems recommendations.
These products have given some great results for quite a few of us here - enjoy the results.
It brought that Lobo around Dave, I damn well thought it was a gonner mate.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
It brought that Lobo around Dave, I damn well thought it was a gonner mate.
That's brilliant, I'm still amazed at how good these two products are and the results I've had from them.
As I have said before I've tried a shit load of other products that where supposed to boost coral growth but none of them have done what these two have done.

My tank has been through some rough times lately and to be honest is only a shadow of what it was. I will post a journal to show how bad it got and the road back to the tank i had before... several reasons led to this but for now. I would also like to again confirm that our MIX works and i saw this once again when i went from several months of no dosing and moving house... to dosing it again. Without a doubt!! The mix works wonders to corals and i was amaized to see the quick response from my corals. Given i had to fix water quality but this goes without saying.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
OK Its been three months since starting Plus & Trace. In my quick calc (12 weeks) looks like ive been dosing ~35ml of each per week as I have nearly ran out and thinking to buy some more or try something else.

Ive got great growth on my SPS and softies going crazy. Tank is looking really good. My Favia and Goni have not had such dramatic extension as Ive seen in this thread. Im really think it probably due to me having low Nitrates (1~2ppm) & Phos. (<0.05) I rarely feed my corals, maybe once a week I'll throw in a small amount of reef roids and some amino powerder.

Tank is looking great and no nusance algae, sand bed is spotless :), however still looking to improve Gone, favia and elegance. I'm thinking the following:

1. try the redsea colours & reef Energy suppliments instead of seachem

or

2. Do another 3 months of Trace & Plus however add a coral feed in the form of reef energy A/B .

what do you think, ? I probably have another 2 weeks of seachem stuff left.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Hi. I was using Rec Sea colour range and energy range before I switched to plus & trace. I got no satisfaction with the Red Sea at all. I am like you I run a ULN system with both nitrates & phos basically undetectable. I do however stir sandbed and turkey baste rocks once a week. I sometimes target feed my goniporas but not often. I personally would stick with seachem a littler longer. I had to start worrying about phos numbers with the Red Sea products but have never had any concerns regarding seachem . Red Sea products are a lot more expensive & needed to use more mls per dose. In a tank my size price & amount used is important ! Hope this helps. ?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The one Fiji long polyp leather we have is crazy for 2 days after I dose M's cube. I bet the polyps are out a good 3-4mm longer, I can tell when it's due if I forget.

Uglyman

Mar 9, 2012
Pyalong
FWIW be very careful with the Trace as it does have copper and other metals in it and can build up to high levels especially if your salt mix has higher than NSW copper levels. Randy Holmes Farley has mentioned Trace element supplements being difficult to quantify when it comes to metal levels and their impact over periods of time dosing.

I'm not saying don't use it as there are some successful reefers who have used this stuff such as Krzysztof from Poland but just be mindful of the ingredients and keep an eye on any shrimp or snails you have as they will show signs if copper is elevated.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Hi. I was using Rec Sea colour range and energy range before I switched to plus & trace. I got no satisfaction with the Red Sea at all. I am like you I run a ULN system with both nitrates & phos basically undetectable. I do however stir sandbed and turkey baste rocks once a week. I sometimes target feed my goniporas but not often. I personally would stick with seachem a littler longer. I had to start worrying about phos numbers with the Red Sea products but have never had any concerns regarding seachem . Red Sea products are a lot more expensive & needed to use more mls per dose. In a tank my size price & amount used is important ! Hope this helps. ?
I am new to this, I target feed my corals with brine shrimp every day is this 2 much?