Reef Discussion

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Money Saving/New Tank Strategy
So, I am starting to thing about my next tank. The one I have now was done on a budget and I do not want the next one to be, even if it takes a few years. Do you think it is best to buy bits and pieces as I see them, like if I see a good deal or something, or just save money and then when its time, start buying it all? I have seen examples of people doing both but things like powerheads for example, are they going to improve that much over 24 months? I know its hard to say but I have trouble getting money saved up as I keep spending it on my current tanks! What do you guys think?

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I would just save and buy it all when you are ready. The way technology is going at the moment who knows what will be available in 2 years time. Just look at LEDs 2 years ago they would have probably been just about unheard of over top of the range reef tanks now they are common place.

ALthough I would buy things like heaters, return pumps etc whenever you could get a bargain. they wont change much throughout the years

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Buy as you go and pick things up on special.

Be realistic with your budget - I had one and spent it twice on my skimmer and lights :)

Buy your lights last, as technology seems to be improving at a faster rate and you can make a decision with the times.

Take your time and consider buying backups of everything. The backups don't need to be up to spec with your original equipment. I say this because equipment failures do happen and also at the worst times.

Before you spend any money, is there equipment that is on your current tank that could be utilized until you upgrade?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
yes there is. I have 2 eheim jager heaters that will be moved over, I will keep my LED's, they are modular so I can add another module and power source for about $500. Skimmer is a tunze 9002 and will be kept for a back up as well. I was mainly looking at things like pumps, skimmer, powerheads dosing gear. But I guess the only issue is I am not 100% locked into tank size so makes pumps etc hard?

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Get bigger pumps than you require. The reasons for this are to run ancillary equipment like reactors and chillers in the future.

For circulation pumps, get bigger also. Corals grow and density will increase over time. It is easier to turn them up later when you need them and already have them sitting in the tank.

It is good that you can use some of your equipment again.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
If you are talking two years down the track have your money in a high interest account and buy it all at the end when you know exactly what you want and get the full warrenty out of it all

Reactions: MTG

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
thanks alot for all your help, really appreciate it.

so, pump wise, what you say bigger than I need, how exactly do I tell, like they all rate as XXLph but with pumps for skimmers etc how many times the volume does it need to be?

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Do what I do and start up an account that you can only make 1 withdrawal a quater for free anything on top of that you get charged ridiculously, you soon learn to stick to it :p

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I very well may do. Just looking at the options. Trying to work out a goal figure. See the account would only be for the big stuff, little items like pumps etc I can pick up as and when. Thinking of going for deep tank, so I think custom is the answer but not sure on costs. I have $7000 in my head for some reason but dont know, that would be for tank/sump, skimmer etc

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
My tank is only 6inches smaller from front to back as the one you posted. Are you set on 2ft + for the height? Mine is only 19in high.

Anything over 2ft becomes difficult to light and to maintain.

Reactions: MTG

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Thats a good size, but I would stick to 2ft in height. Would have loved to gone 4x3 with my build, but 2ft wide just fits in the room a bit better

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
not necesarily, but with a custom built tank you get exactly what you want my 4x2x2 ended up being a little on the expensive side but thats because I went with external weir and thicker then normal glass, which you wont find on any off the shelf tanks

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
The cost is more. The advantage being you design the tank to fit your needs.

You can always opt for a standard size tank also. 4ft x 3ft x 2ft is just a larger tank. Any reputable tank builder can construct it.