Reef Discussion

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I think you may have missed the tank I am getting as you said if I can afford it to go for the opticlear version, which is the one I said I think

http://www.aquascapedesign.com.au/products.php?product=CADE-Marine-Tank-Set-HL1200

So the sump I am going to be using is obviously the one that comes with the tank. I think I will run the reactor separately. Is it best if the skimmer has its own pump or is it ok to use the return pump for both?

Sorry for not being clearer mate, appreciate it can be frustrating
its ok no harm,
if you are just going to run the return to the tank through the return pump i would go with a 2000LPH return pump, something like an eheim 2000 compact

with the sump you will be able to run an internal skimmer so it will have its own pump and wont need a feed pump

and for the reactor pump you will most likely use something like an eheim 1000 compact and adjust its flow accordingly

sorry again, would the tunze multi controller 7095 be the one I am looking at to run 2 6055's? It seems to run 4 pumps, is there one that runs 2?
that would be the controller i recommend, the USB one is a pain IMO, both controllers run up to 4 pumps and there is no decent dual controller. plus it opens the ability for you to add another two pumps latter, if you want sps i would be going with bigger pumps then the 6055's.
what sort of coral do you plan on going with?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
mainly softs to be honest. Although I am upgrading, I am still getting everything down. I currently have in my current nano 2 hammers, a duncan, zoas, scollies, gsp and a clam. All seem to be doing really well. Manually dosing as needed.

Would the tunze 9002 cover this tank?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
mainly softs to be honest. Although I am upgrading, I am still getting everything down. I currently have in my current nano 2 hammers, a duncan, zoas, scollies, gsp and a clam. All seem to be doing really well. Manually dosing as needed.

Would the tunze 9002 cover this tank?
a 4x2x2? maybe if it was lightly stocked. i run one on my 100L setup and its ok, i would go for a much bigger skimmer tho, one of the most important parts of the setup IMO

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I am actually not looking to add stock. But I really like the tunze skimmer, maybe get a 9006 or the next one up, frees up a lot of my budget regardless.

Right now, equipment wise I am at the tunze controller, 2 6055's and a skimmer as the bigger items I am saving for. To grab along the way a 1000 and 2000lph pump for skimmer and phospban reactor and the reactor itself. As well as some new coral sand. Going to use my LR, have about 30k and will get some base rock for the rest.

Thanks again guys.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
No problem any questions just ask. if you intend to do carbon dosing or heavy feeding i recommend a larger skimmer tho :)

that comes way under the 7K you were expecting

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I would look at the vortech mp10/20s ... some people don't like them, but if you are getting such a beautiful tank I would get the most beautiful display equipment you can buy.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i love the vortech's just bumber about their noise. the mp10 isn't as bad as the mp40's . but it depends on what you call loud :P
on nano tanks i wouldn't use anything other then a mp10. at 50pct power they don't make much noise

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
the tunze v vortech question is something I have been thinking about the past week. I really like the flow of the vortech but don't know if I can deal with the noise.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Quick one on the vortechs, the mp10wes says it can control multiple units out of the box, but I can only seem to find it in a set that comes with a controller. Is this right or can you just get them on their own as well?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Quick one on the vortechs, the mp10wes says it can control multiple units out of the box, but I can only seem to find it in a set that comes with a controller. Is this right or can you just get them on their own as well?
they all come with controllers and they talk wirelessly. you will need the same W units for every unit for them to talk together.
for a 4x2x2, you will need like 4 mp10's :)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
The tunzes are still my pick.

Is it cheaper to buy them from over seas? I can get free postage as I have alot of family in the UK/Europe so can get it shipped there and have them send it.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i bought mine from sewatec but now guppys sells them they are dirt cheap
Tunze Turbelle Nano Stream 6055
Price: $297.20

Tunze Multicontroller 7095
Price: $353.35

that comes in under 1K whats a decent price. some shops might be able to also come close to it?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
a 4x2x2 is a mid sized tank, nano is around 100L or less
I classify nano as <150L (40 gallons), but it's one of those loose definitions that varies by person.

aussieant32 I would probably buy locally ... something that is running 24/7, 365 days per year, I wouldn't want to use an adapter personally.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
wouldnt be an adapter, my uncle is a sparky and would get a plug on it. Just looking at cost, just comparing online costs the 6055's are about $310 here and $210 from the UK. Will keep looking, wont be buying for a few months anyway, not going to rush it.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I classify nano as <150L (40 gallons), but it's one of those loose definitions that varies by person.

aussieant32 I would probably buy locally ... something that is running 24/7, 365 days per year, I wouldn't want to use an adapter personally.
no need for adaptor. the tunzes just take those 3 prong pc cords so you can swap that cord for the aus one :)
but imports means no warranty. well warranty that is to hard to deal with