Tank Journal Archive

pvancomp

Nov 24, 2017
More Lps
Been a while since updated, but have added some new livestock since the last post. Decided to give the Mandarin back as even though he was eating the frozen foods, we could see him slowly getting slimmer by the week, so though it only best to give it back to have a better chance of living. Fortunately the LFS was very kind in taking it back and gave me credit as they normally don't accept any livestock returns.

New live stock wise, added the following in the past month: small zoa, elegance coral, green/brown favia, and a bubbletip anemone. Also got a little firefish who seems to enjoy sleeping in any little cave it can find. Eating both pellets and frozen mysis so very happy watching it swim about everywhere.

Unfortunately the bubbletip decided to go for a walk into the powerhead overnight. Luckily it didn't get shredded, only a bit mangled, so after carefully removing it I put a media bag over the powerhead as protection against any future incidences.

It has reduced the flow a bit, but the torches, elegance and palm tree are all still flowing nicely and when I put frozen food in front it still flies everywhere. Bubbletip has since planted itself in a little cave under one of the rocks and can slowly see it starting to open up again, fingers crossed it'll settle in soon.

Water params currently are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Sera 0-10ppm, but closer to 0, test kit only does 0, then 10.
Calcium: 420 - Salifert
KH: 8.3 - Salifert
Phosphate: Between 0 and 0.1 on Sera test kit. I'm changing Seachem's Phosguard out whenever it rises above that and testing every week.

Currently dosing Seachem Calcium 2ml per day but wondering if I should be worrying about Alk dosing at this point or not? Aiming to have some decent growth in the corals and without the calcium dosing it does seem to drop to 380-400, but alk always stays the same.

Over next few months going to get 2 more fish at most I think, pajama cardinal and a blenny or goby of some sort, not sure which yet, and lastly a coral banded shrimp. Corals will be added later once the nem settles into one spot :p
Here's a few pics under normal lights and just blue lights for you:
20180318_213306.jpg

20180318_213335.jpg

pvancomp

Nov 24, 2017
Just retested the Alk and it's actually at 10.3, not 8.3.

Also, today the anemone has shrunken up a lot after the powerhead incident over the weekend, is this normal after such an incident or should I be worried about it potentially dieing?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Also, today the anemone has shrunken up a lot after the powerhead incident over the weekend, is this normal after such an incident or should I be worried about it potentially dieing?
Any picture? You can sort of tell if it's not doing well .. normally it tends to get mushy .. shrunken is okay (particularly when the light is out).

What sort of BTA? I hope it's not RBTA?

Currently dosing Seachem Calcium 2ml per day but wondering if I should be worrying about Alk dosing at this point or not? Aiming to have some decent growth in the corals and without the calcium dosing it does seem to drop to 380-400, but alk always stays the same.
It's interesting that you mentioned your Ca is dropping but not the Alk? Normally they go hand-in-hand as the Calcification builds up.

pvancomp

Nov 24, 2017
Here's a pic of the BTA. It looks a lot worse now than it did last night or even this morning. I'm worried it's a goner right now setting it this way as I've never had this issue before. It's still attached firmly to the rock and has been there since i removed it from the powerhead on Sunday morning.
20180321_173532.jpg

Last edited:

pvancomp

Nov 24, 2017
BTA didn't make it unfortunately. it was always swapping between good and bad looking then eventually it just couldn't grab onto anything anymore. Saw a big tear on the foot and the mouth looked like it's guts were coming out. Tried putting it into a small breeder box for a few days but that didn't help either.

Did a big water change as a precaution afterwards as well and have kept the media bag on the powerhead as the corals actually look better with the flow turned down a bit. Going to wait a couple months and get the rest of the livestock we want before getting a nem again