Tank Journal Archive

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Maybe you have to cut yourself on it...

"Divers often mistake fire coral for seaweed, and accidental contact is common. Upon contact, an intense pain can be felt that can last from two days to two weeks. The very small nematocysts on fire corals contain tentacles that protrude from numerous surface pores (similar to jellyfish stings). In addition, fire corals have a sharp, calcified external skeleton that can scrape the skin." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_coral
Ahh i think i have lace coral. It looks the same but i think its different. @drschell might know more about this.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
lace coral and fire coral are very closely related (both are hydroids). However, just as you have among anemones, the potency of the sting varies greatly between genera and species. Think of anemones for example, touching a BTA will produce little, if any reaction. However, touch one of the Hellfire anemones, and you will feel rather non-vigorous. The same is true with the Hydroids.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Looking unbelievabley awesome!! Well done :worship

Is that plating monti on the left yellow or just the camera? If its yellow and you accidentally break a small piece off don't throw it out :p

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Looking unbelievabley awesome!! Well done :worship

Is that plating monti on the left yellow or just the camera? If its yellow and you accidentally break a small piece off don't throw it out :p
When i got it, it was a deep green but as the phosphate has lowered over 3 months to 0.02 it has gone more lime green. Its my fastest growing coral. When it gets a little bigger ill snap a bit off and pm you. :)