Reef Discussion

fongyfong

Aug 21, 2011
Most was my flame angel for 60 and yellow tang a close 2nd for 50, all have survied , close to a year now

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
In recent times, mine was this (Cebuan F1 cf. Centropyge loriculus x Centropyge ferrugatus hybrid) for an undisclosed sum of money:

[Broken External Image]:http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9703/hybridi.jpg

In having said that, I've had numerous offers in recent times from importer mates for some incredibly expensive stuff. Most recently was a pair of Bandit Angelfish (Apolemichthys arcuatus, a deepwater isolated Hawaiian species for those not in the know) which I still hate myself over every day for not getting - as you can imagine the dollars involved were not insignificant, but at the end of the day, dollars are just that - dollars. They come and go.

I don't look at it as spending absurd money so much as getting something I really enjoy and something that not everybody will get a chance to see. It does seem to make a few people turn a bit confounded when you say that spending thousands isn't a concern however...

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
My local LFS has their yellow tangs for $120 :( and their range is pathetic, plus the fact on my last visit they had a juevenile emperor which was covered in ICH.

I dare say most of my fish will be purchased online

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
Achilles - $1000
I didn't realize they where that expensive ,
People pay that for dogs All the time tho , So i figure if you really want it , What the hell , cant take money with ya :)

I found it hard to justify my new lights , But then i thought , If someone buys a new car , It's lost more in value as soon as they drive it out of the car yard , Than i paid for the lights :)
All in how you look at things i suppose :)
BTW......... $70 for a flame lobster , So far

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
my most expensive fish so far is a Royal Damsel... for a grand sum of... wait for it.... $21

I do plan on getting a flame angel and they retail for around $100 - $120 here in SA so that will be my most expensive by a long way!

$1000 could have bought my entire setup so i dont think i will be spending that on a fish!

i bought a yellow tang and purple tang at the same time out of a display tank at a sydney LFS ( i desperatly wanted a compatible pair that wouldnt fight) and payed about $240 i think. lost both a few days apart in quarintine.

left a sour taste in my mouth aswell. i wont be buying a tang in future :(

And as far as fish prices go, at a two day drifting weekend my car uses $1600 worth of tyres plus fuel and accomodation, travel fuel etc. So spending money on a pet isnt such a big expense in the scheme of things.