Reef Discussion

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I much prefer the Hawaiian flames with the full red body they come in alot more pricey though.

I like juv. chevrons, I have had a few over the years, last one set me back $500

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
a little off topic but I was in Myer yesterday hoping to pick up a cheap pot on sale-came across a german brand -over$900!-for a pot with a lid- and it wasn't very big either:confused:

much rather spend that kind of money on a fish or 5-went home potless

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
this is a good thread, it can help in comparing prices in localities.

my youngest daughter was going through one of my reef books and come across a strawberry dottyback which was a solid purple in colour. she come up and said she loves this fish and "can you get me one daddy?? pleeeease". well the wife saw it too and wants one eventually which could be a while, anyways, I had to get a kilo of salt to do a change as it has been raining on and off up here where I collect water and not looking to flash, I seen one in the store and was wondering if $35 is a good price. the fish are all healthy at this store and the dotty was around 50-60mm long. it is one of the cheaper fish that the wife likes so will end up an addition eventually as I was told and did a little research that they are fairly peaceful and should do well in my tank.

so long story short - is $35 a good price? cheers in advance :)

what sort of pot are you after Firebird?

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
a little off topic but I was in Myer yesterday hoping to pick up a cheap pot on sale-came across a german brand -over$900!-for a pot with a lid- and it wasn't very big either:confused:

much rather spend that kind of money on a fish or 5-went home potless

I didn't even know Myer sold pot and on sale too :eek , Mind you its been years since I've been in there
And the amount of time I've come home potless

Sorry i just couldn't help myself ,:rolleyes

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
this is a good thread, it can help in comparing prices in localities.

my youngest daughter was going through one of my reef books and come across a strawberry dottyback which was a solid purple in colour. she come up and said she loves this fish and "can you get me one daddy?? pleeeease". well the wife saw it too and wants one eventually which could be a while, anyways, I had to get a kilo of salt to do a change as it has been raining on and off up here where I collect water and not looking to flash, I seen one in the store and was wondering if $35 is a good price. the fish are all healthy at this store and the dotty was around 50-60mm long. it is one of the cheaper fish that the wife likes so will end up an addition eventually as I was told and did a little research that they are fairly peaceful and should do well in my tank.

what sort of pot are you after Firebird?
strawberry dottys will become very territorial and will nip other fish fins , orchid dotty back is a better choice.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
strawberry dottys will become very territorial and will nip other fish fins , orchid dotty back is a better choice.
I have only ever seen one, and it was strutting around the tank very aggressively. $90 price tag on that one so $35 sounds sweet!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
that they are fairly peaceful and should do well in my tank.

Were you looking at the strawberry or the orchid? I agree with Matt, the orchid is much more peaceful than the strawberry, which can become aggressive and should not be kept with timid fish.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
yea was looking at the strawberry, will be looking at the orchid now though. dunno if i have seen one round but the place that has the strawberry is also having a fair bit of success in breeding the dottybacks in general. will just have to ask

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
hmmmm, most expencive fish to date would have to be my female maroon clown for $60, and as she has paired with my male, im going to say it was a great buy