Tank Journal Archive

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Move To The New House!
Short update - MOVING TANKS SUCKS!

Started around lunch time yesterday dismantling and cleaning stuff up

Didn't end up finishing till about 9:30pm and still haven't moved the tank over :(

Plan for tonight is a quick run to my old place to grab the tank in the car and off we go put it on the stand pump the water up and catch the fish.

Anyone ever tried moving a coral banded shrimp before? Mine lost his 2 pincers panicked at the time but then googled it and apparently they grow back to hopefully all fine there.

Will post some pictures tonight then the final set up when its done!

Short update - MOVING TANKS SUCKS!

Started around lunch time yesterday dismantling and cleaning stuff up

Didn't end up finishing till about 9:30pm and still haven't moved the tank over :(

Plan for tonight is a quick run to my old place to grab the tank in the car and off we go put it on the stand pump the water up and catch the fish.

Anyone ever tried moving a coral banded shrimp before? Mine lost his 2 pincers panicked at the time but then googled it and apparently they grow back to hopefully all fine there.

Will post some pictures tonight then the final set up when its done!
Oh the joy of moving a tank. My thoughts are with you mate! Yes the first time I tried moving my banded shrimp he also ripped his pincers off. they grew back after a month or two though. Now I catch him with a large clear jug. he doesn't do it then.

Good luck mate.. there is a special kind of hurt you get after a tank move. Your hands are sore and dry, you feel like you have spent all day on the beach and maybe rolling in some old fish carcases...

BUT THE SHOWER ONCE ITS ALL DONE IS ALWAYS SUBLIME

S1L3NT

Jul 17, 2011
Have to agree with you guys. Moving sucks! I've moved a breeding rack + a few displays (15 tanks) 3 times. Worst thing ever, 12 + hours each time. Quickest thing i've found to do is to fill a few 20L buckets/drums with water and dump fish/plants/coral/filters/etc into these. and then chuck a air pump on them at the new place (move them first if you cant fit everything at once). I used ot use bags and this was THE worst thing ever, those sore fingers after tying so many bags.... Damn rubber bands are weapons....

That shower though.... Oh god. Nothing better. I agree with somethingfishy76 haha.

Good luck mate!

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Halfway in and agree on the shower point haha! Always takes so much longer than i thought but the new set up should be easier to maintain. It's also in a place where I actually will have a chance to just sit and admire it.

I have 4 of the 20 litre bunnings containers so I did one trip of them all filled up and filled up my old tank at the new place. Went back filled up a tub with all the live rock and topped off with the rest of the water. Fishies and corals came in smaller containers with water

Couldn't think of a better way to do it at the time, just very lucky i kept my old tank so i had enough room to store the water!

Another benefit here is the tank is now right next to the window so I can do my water changes without lugging buckets and spilling through the house so maybe I'll be a bit more regular!

S1L3NT

Jul 17, 2011
That is just a temporary excuse for not doing water changes, they'll slow down again. I did the same, multiple times. hahaha :)

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
I'm all about temporary excuses though :)

current floor set up..

[Broken External Image]:http://imgur.com/a/aV4dl

new stand and set up should be pretty good, I've been stung by the corner overflow being in the wrong corner but not much I can do about that now!

[Broken External Image]:http://imgur.com/a/aV4dl

pretty excited to get it all up and running again hoping to do a sneaky rescape while I'm doing it.

Anyone know any shops around Sydney that have some good rocks for aquascaping? Mines still all big chunky stuff from when I started and now that I've got siporax running I was hoping to run some less rock maybe some more caves or something

WHY DOES UPLOADING IMAGES TO THIS HATE ME SO MUCH???

S1L3NT

Jul 17, 2011
Unlucky with the weir position :( That's happened to me in the past too haha.

I did a fair bit of LFS running a few weeks ago for live rock but every shop had crappy looking rock :( You should look into the caribsea life rock and similar, I used this and it was great stuff and also pest free :) The cycle took a bit longer though... It is dry rock.

Check out some christmas rock or similar also?​

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Yea was very interested in some Christmas rock! Done a bit of research into extra care, from what I can guess basically just as long as you can keep the SPS that grows on it as well as put some reef roids in every 2nd day they're all ok? Love the look of it, I saw a small piece at aquaristic last time I went there

Their frag day is coming up next month as well so going to go see what I can get then :)

S1L3NT

Jul 17, 2011
Not sure whta you mean about the extra care? I thought Xmas rock is just another type of live rock :) Like pukani and so on.... haha. Unless you mean premium live rock which ends up with corals on it usually? The care for these would be dependant on the type of corals/animals that come with the rock.

Frag day? Any more info on this?? I'm interested!

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
I thought the Xmas in the name meant the worms that were in it.. hahah maybe im wrong

Found this http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/9/inverts

Frag day - not too sure on what its about think it's just locals drop into the shop and sell their frags?

it's advertised on their facebook page and there's an event for it, hosted at Aquaristic Australia in Botany on the 22nd April 10am-3pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/1648978715405793/

My first one so just going to go check it out

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Oh the joy of moving a tank. My thoughts are with you mate! Yes the first time I tried moving my banded shrimp he also ripped his pincers off. they grew back after a month or two though. Now I catch him with a large clear jug. he doesn't do it then.

Good luck mate.. there is a special kind of hurt you get after a tank move. Your hands are sore and dry, you feel like you have spent all day on the beach and maybe rolling in some old fish carcases...

BUT THE SHOWER ONCE ITS ALL DONE IS ALWAYS SUBLIME
You have to admit mate that we are getting moves down to a fine art.
Maybe just one more move . . .maybe . . . maybe?????

S1L3NT

Jul 17, 2011
Oh yeah sorry I forgot that was a type of rock too! The feather worm rock haha. Its been a while for me, just got back into reef :) This is not the rock I was referring too haha. Google should bring up the rock type I am talking about though :)

@daveH - Ah man, i've done it close to 10 times now. Moving anything from 1 small tank to 1 large tank to a breeding rack! I hate it but yes, fine art indeed! The lazy man develops many tricks.... Hahaha. I just set up another tank and now im 90% sure i'll be moving interstate within the next 6 months or so, kill me now! :D

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Got everything up into the main tank last night, still need to do plumbing to set up the return and overflow. Want to ditch a piece of the bigger live rock to make some room up top. At the moment its just hanging out in the sump until i do a skimmer upgrade and need the space.

[Broken External Image]:http://imgur.com/a/q500d

One maybe casualty of the move looks like my bigger hammer, really hoping i can fix him up but not sure how. Bit of the skeleton is showing and looks like some red algae is starting to grow on it, should i try scrub it off with a toothbrush or just leave it and make sure my water is all good

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
I'm just telling my girlfriend that once we decide where the tanks goes, it's staying there forever....and I've only got a 90l. I can't imagine the pain in moving yours!

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Haha mine isn't much bigger the display is a 3ft tank so i think it works out around 150ltr? Only difference for you would be I had to spend an extra $60 at bunnings on 20ltr containers.. EITHER WAY MOVING IS A PAIN IN THE ASS

But this time, I've learnt (I hope) now that my tank is on a stand instead of in the wall it should be much easier to move. I'll make the plumbing detachable so I don't have to redo from scratch.

I'm also keeping my eyes peeled for a bigger water container just in case! I saw someone post on facebook today 1000ltr of ocean water for $90 (I think it was) seemed dirt cheap to me anyway so now I'm thinking of switching to NSW but need to find a trustworthy sydney supplier who will do a much smaller amount of water