Off-Topic

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
Music Discussion. What Kind Of Music Are You Into? Share Share Share!!
I've been going on a massive music hunt of late due to the pure disgust and non-existent creativity of music on the radio nowadays. Just interested to know what everyone's taste in music is and give out a few song titles that they have always been in love with or have recently fallen in love with.

ill start the ball rolling.

im a massive fan of Soul RnB. like...Massive! also a big fan of indie rock/pop./folk music.

some artists i really love are the likes of:
Musiq soulchild (soul/RnB)
D'angelo (Neo-soul/RnB)
Usher *more of his old school stuff* (RnB)
John Mayer (pop/folk)
City & Colour (folk)
Mayday Parade (indie/punk rock)

those are just to name a few.

now its your turn to share.
KGO! :D

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Metal and punk all the way \m/ haha

I love everything from classical to traditional bagpipes (I have a whole album :p) to my favourites being metal, punk, hardcore and all that nasty mind melting music lol I'm told very frequently I have terrible taste haha but I love it

My favourite bands (some of) would be:
Blink 182 (punk)
A Day to Remember (punk/hardcore/metal)
Demon Hunter (metal, please don't hate me lol)
The Used (Emo/hardcore)
Dropkick Murphy's (Irish punk)
Bring Me The Horizon (definitely metal/heavy)

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
so a couple of metal heads to start off! i like blink 182 and have heard of "a day to remember". i once tried metal. anybody familiar with "Korn"? haha.
well thats where it started...and ended :P

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I like a lot of different music but the lyrics must be good. By "good", I mean, "mean something" and make me either think about something ( e.g.: The Whitlams "400 Miles") or make me feel something (e.g.: Omnia "Wolf Song")
But because of the current musical desert, I too fret that the art of poetic lyricism (or even basic coherence) is seriously ill, if not altogether extinct. I heard the lyrics to Miley Cyrus's little master piece "We Can't Stop", the other day and only just managed not to throw myself out the car window. It was either her or me and she wasn't available to hurl anyway.
The song (and I use the word reluctantly and in its most basic context) is the musical equivalent of cave drawings when compared to the likes of Don McLean's "Starry Starry Night", Michael Scott's "The Whole of The Moon" or Mark Knopfler's "So Far From The Clyde", which literally paint images in your mind's eye.
Miley came up with this:

"So la da di da di, we like to party
Dancing with Miley
Doing whatever we want
This is our house
This is our rules
And we can’t stop
And we won’t stop
Can’t you see it’s we who own the night
Can’t you see it we who bout’ that life
And we can’t stop
And we won’t stop
We run things, Things don’t run we
We don't take nothing from nobody"

You can see why I needed to not be in the car, can't you?
Don't even get me started on Rebecca Black's "Friday" :banghead

So. Music I like.
The first song that I heard that made me think was "Another Brick In The Wall" - I was about 6 and I understood what he meant by "dark sarcasm in the classroom" because I wasn't popular with my teachers either.
I like a lot of Pink Floyd stuff, though I struggle with "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In a Cave, Grooving With a Pict". Even when I learned what a Pict was, it still didn't make a lot of sense but that's Pink Floyd for you. I like almost everything by Roger Waters and I own most of his solo albums. If you want to hear a heartbreaking song, listen to "We Were Watching TV". Roger and I see eye to eye on the important things. In fact, when I die, I want "Every Stranger's Eyes" played at my funeral. It's how I see the world.
I like:
Fleetwood Mac The Water Boys Muse Petshop Boys Brobdingnagian Bards
Emerald Rose Silly Wizard Rammstein Nick Cave Weird Al Yankovich
Bruce Springsteen Metallica Santana Placebo Lindsey Stirling
Dead Can Dance Lana Del Rey The Offspring Short Stack The White Buffalo
Sex Pistols The Cranberries Abney Park REM Def Leppard
Omnia Dire Straits Steam Powered Giraffe Missy Higgins and a shit load of Trance and Dubstep
Evanescence Gorillaz Macklemore Paul Kelly
Jewel Hilltop Hoods The Misfits (Michael Graves) Leonard Cohen
Loreena McKennett Lily Allen Mumford and Sons Iggy Pop

I also like Korn
And just to show I have sense of humor, I even like one of Lady GaGa's ...... productions....(Poker Face)

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I spend an awful lot of time listening to Black Label Society, Ozzy and Sabbath... ya know, cos they're all kinda related.
Always been into Guns N' Roses, Hendrix, The Doors, The Living End and Metallica. I went through a punk phase for a while when I was a kid which had me listening to the Sex Pistols, Budgie and a few other bands time has since allowed me to forget.
The only "recent" music I've really been into has been live stuff from Slash & The Conspirators; I'm probably enjoying Myles' style as much as I'm into Slash's playing.

Mantis Dundee

Jun 24, 2013
Quakers Hill
I am a metal head from way back. I am a musician though so I actually enjoy ANY type of music if it is quality from a quality artist.
Metallica was my religion growing up and still is I went to Metallica church daily lol. Seen em 5 times and I swear they get better with age.
Closely followed by Foo Fighters these days. Dave Grohl is my idol as far as the ultimate musician goes. I have seen that guy just play the s%!t out of almost every single instrument flawlessly. There show went for nearly 3 hours and was insane.
Loved all the grunge/rock/punk growing up too, Greenday, Nirvana, Frenzal, Grinspoon, living end.
All time favourite album is Metallica And Justice For All. Can play start to end without hitting skip button once.
Nice off topic blog

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Metal!
Metallica is number 1, seen them every time they have come out here since I've been old enough to go to a concert.
I dont mind a bit of aussie 80's and 90's rock.
Cant stand r&b, rap, pop etc.. its all the same shit anyway ;)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
so a couple of metal heads to start off! i like blink 182 and have heard of "a day to remember". i once tried metal. anybody familiar with "Korn"? haha.
well thats where it started...and ended :p
I wouldn't class Korn as metal haha

Mantis Dundee

Jun 24, 2013
Quakers Hill
Metal and punk all the way \m/ haha

I love everything from classical to traditional bagpipes (I have a whole album :p) to my favourites being metal, punk, hardcore and all that nasty mind melting music lol I'm told very frequently I have terrible taste haha but I love it

My favourite bands (some of) would be:
Blink 182 (punk)
A Day to Remember (punk/hardcore/metal)
Demon Hunter (metal, please don't hate me lol)
The Used (Emo/hardcore)
Dropkick Murphy's (Irish punk)
Bring Me The Horizon (definitely metal/heavy)
Seen dropkicks, cant remember whether it was BDO or /soundwave. The
I wouldn't class Korn as metal haha
Korn are part of a unique genre "Industrial"

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
That would have been awesome!! I would love to see them live

And yeah Korn should be in their own little messed up corner lol

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
I'm all over the place, I like older stuff like Pink Floyd and Zeppelin, but also like thrash metal like Megadeth (though Dave has some bad albums) and slayer, I used to love metalica until black came out and can't stand them anymore. Like iron maiden still, very good live even in the last few years..

Also like some 'out there' stuff like Amon Amarth (Viking themed melodic death metal) and Excision which I guess is classed as bro-step..

Particularly like Infected Mushroom who are kind of psy trance, but they are hard to pin down as they often blend in other styles, elements of dub step lately..

I don't mind korn either or prodigy, but don't listen to them that often..

E

ezza

I like everything from classical and opera to dance and metal. I have a very broad interest in music with a pretty big cd collection. I have a soft spot for chillout music and jazz particularly. My favourite band is No Doubt.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
@MichelleShocked -

Oh, don't talk to me about that friggin' Miley song!!

My 4yo, Mali, is allowed to listen to normal radio or CDs of OUR taste in music in the car ONLY. No Wiggles, no Play School, no nothing. (I value my sanity :P ) Anywho, so that retarded (albeit catchy) song comes on the other day and Mali starts singing along and asking me questions about it: "Mama, why can she do what she wants to?" etc.

So later that afternoon, she's chatting to me about some random 4yo stuff when she comes out with, "But we can, Mummy. It's our house and we can do what we want to."

:eek

That's where the "cuteness" stops, because later that night when she's in trouble for giving me attitude I get a, "I can say what I want to."

:rage:rage:rage

Fucking Miley!!

But on to MY tastes: a bit of everything, really! Top 40, 60's, rock, dance, metal, industrial (yep, another Korn fan here :cool: ), dinner, jazz, reggae - whatever :) If it has a melody that appeals, I'm in! If it has a meaning, I'm in! If it suits my mood, I'M IN!! lol. I tend to like a couple of songs from every band and only ever like a whole CD if I buy it and listen to it long enough that all the other tracks grow on me lol. I'm the Queen of mix CDs, with tracks ranging from Taylor Swift to NIN on the one disc LMAO. (Blame "teen Goth turned grown-up" for those polar opposites!)
My scattered music tastes sums up my scattered brain nicely o_0

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Tonic, Staind, Live, The Verve and Oasis type stuff is my ultimate. If its hard to sing I'm not interested. I want to be able to sing something without having to have a Strepsil afterwards :rofl

Other than that stuff like:

Rebecca's Empire

Roxette

Kate Havnevik

Priscilla Ahn

REM - if you've never been swimming at night, you haven't lived!

Shawn Colvin

Jeff Buckley

Christine Anu

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
I like a lot of different music but the lyrics must be good. By "good", I mean, "mean something" and make me either think about something ( e.g.: The Whitlams "400 Miles") or make me feel something (e.g.: Omnia "Wolf Song")
But because of the current musical desert, I too fret that the art of poetic lyricism (or even basic coherence) is seriously ill, if not altogether extinct. I heard the lyrics to Miley Cyrus's little master piece "We Can't Stop", the other day and only just managed not to throw myself out the car window. It was either her or me and she wasn't available to hurl anyway.
The song (and I use the word reluctantly and in its most basic context) is the musical equivalent of cave drawings when compared to the likes of Don McLean's "Starry Starry Night", Michael Scott's "The Whole of The Moon" or Mark Knopfler's "So Far From The Clyde", which literally paint images in your mind's eye.
Miley came up with this:

"So la da di da di, we like to party
Dancing with Miley
Doing whatever we want
This is our house
This is our rules
And we can’t stop
And we won’t stop
Can’t you see it’s we who own the night
Can’t you see it we who bout’ that life
And we can’t stop
And we won’t stop
We run things, Things don’t run we
We don't take nothing from nobody"

You can see why I needed to not be in the car, can't you?
Don't even get me started on Rebecca Black's "Friday" :banghead

So. Music I like.
The first song that I heard that made me think was "Another Brick In The Wall" - I was about 6 and I understood what he meant by "dark sarcasm in the classroom" because I wasn't popular with my teachers either.
I like a lot of Pink Floyd stuff, though I struggle with "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In a Cave, Grooving With a Pict". Even when I learned what a Pict was, it still didn't make a lot of sense but that's Pink Floyd for you. I like almost everything by Roger Waters and I own most of his solo albums. If you want to hear a heartbreaking song, listen to "We Were Watching TV". Roger and I see eye to eye on the important things. In fact, when I die, I want "Every Stranger's Eyes" played at my funeral. It's how I see the world.
I like:
Fleetwood Mac The Water Boys Muse Petshop Boys Brobdingnagian Bards
Emerald Rose Silly Wizard Rammstein Nick Cave Weird Al Yankovich
Bruce Springsteen Metallica Santana Placebo Lindsey Stirling
Dead Can Dance Lana Del Rey The Offspring Short Stack The White Buffalo
Sex Pistols The Cranberries Abney Park REM Def Leppard
Omnia Dire Straits Steam Powered Giraffe Missy Higgins and a shit load of Trance and Dubstep
Evanescence Gorillaz Macklemore Paul Kelly
Jewel Hilltop Hoods The Misfits (Michael Graves) Leonard Cohen
Loreena McKennett Lily Allen Mumford and Sons Iggy Pop

I also like Korn
And just to show I have sense of humor, I even like one of Lady GaGa's ...... productions....(Poker Face)
very in depth Michelle! thanks for the input :D