Tank Journal Archive

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
My Green Acropora Diary
Apology for the crappy picture; I have to improve a lot on my Macro photography (or probably gear-wise) ...

Here it is .. my 2nd SPS on this tank: Fluoro Green Acropora ;) from Aquaristic Beaconsfield !

1st SPS was Pink Birdsnest ;) from Frag Queen ! equally as beautiful as the Acro.

Let's see whether this time is a success or another brown (or perhaps bleach).

Day 1
  • Acro looking bright, lush and fresh with tiny polyps (tentacles).
  • Located approx. half way of the tank so approx. 50 cm away from Kessil A360WE.
  • Increased the flow of RW-8s quite a bit .. pretty sure it's half way now and Anemone has moved as it doesn't like it (hope it doesn't move anywhere dangerous).
  • Increased the intensity of the light gradually and it's now all the way to 100% (color: 90%) so quite white; 10 hours duration ramping up from blue to white then blue then off.
  • Water param:
    • No3 5 ~ 10 ppm.
    • Ca 430 ppm.
    • Alk 8.4 dKH.
    • Mg 1350 ppm.
    • Po4 untested.
  • Dosing:
    • Nopox 6 ml (daily).
    • Alk 4 ml (daily).
    • Ca 5 ml (daily).
ai.imgur.com_E87YeyP.jpg

The question is whether to feed or not to feed .. as to some subjects in reefing, there tend to be contrasting idea but at this stage, I've decided not to feed. If I am to feed, it will be small pinch of reef roids before weekly WC.

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
@potatocouch nice looking acro!

I find that some reefroids for other tank inhabitants and turkey blasting live rock etc puts more than enough in the water column for anything that an acro may want (and mine are growing like crazy). Though generally they just need good water parameters (stable calcium, alk and mag, lowish no3, po4, clear water, flow and lights. Then your SPS will thrive! I'm sporting the Kessils and I get quite decent growth and colour!

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
@potatocouch nice looking acro!

I find that some reefroids for other tank inhabitants and turkey blasting live rock etc puts more than enough in the water column for anything that an acro may want (and mine are growing like crazy). Though generally they just need good water parameters (stable calcium, alk and mag, lowish no3, po4, clear water, flow and lights. Then your SPS will thrive! I'm sporting the Kessils and I get quite decent growth and colour!
Thanks @Darkspartan ! Hopefully it lives for a long time ... I've been trying so hard to make this tank SPS friendly and I hope I make it this time. Only time will tell.

Believe it or not, as we speak now, I'm just stalking (not in a creepy way) your tank journal LOL

I noticed you have 2 Kessils up on your DT and 1 Kessil on your Sump ... no lack of lighting there :)

Only recently I did my research and ask around if 1 x Kessil light A360WE (point) suffice to light up 2 foot cube tank for SPS and some reefers say they do, although most of them are sporting at least 2 Kessils like what you have there.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
As a side note, I have to admit, in the past, I've committed a silly mistake by letting the temperature went as high as 30 ~ 31c.

It wasn't my intention to run it as high, but it was me being ignorant and to solely believe in the glass meter temperature.

The glass meter temperature always read 26c and when I dipped my hand on the water, it feels tad warm.

Only last week, I used 2 submerged digital temperature and they read 30 ~ 31c ... I'm like 'this can't be right'. :confused:

So I used another temperature probe that I dip in the sump area and it reads 31c.

From that point, I've realized that 3 devices showing 31c should be an accurate representation of the water temperature.

Dialed down my Eheim heater to 23 and ever since that, it has maintained the temperature to 26 ~ 27c.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Good luck with the acro - it's always good to see timelines of coral growth.

As for your temperature issue, how much would you be prepared to pay for a wireless (using your home wireless network) monitor which could email/SMS you if the temperature moved outside of a set range?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Good luck with the acro - it's always good to see timelines of coral growth.
Thank you! we'll see how it goes. not raising my hope high. It does hurt when you set expectation high and only to find out not achieving it at the end of the journey.

As for your temperature issue, how much would you be prepared to pay for a wireless (using your home wireless network) monitor which could email/SMS you if the temperature moved outside of a set range?
Is there such device? It really depends on how much $ (once off or ongoing).

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
[QUOTE="potatocouch, post: 176724, member: 1744Is there such device? It really depends on how much $ (once off or ongoing).[/QUOTE]

There 'might' be such a device being developed :rolleyes

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Day 3

A closer look on the green Acropora; I have no idea what exact species is this particular one ... bright green stony with white polyps.
ai.imgur.com_M9LhLZR.jpg

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Got some spare time today and did API No3 test and result is excellent at 0 ppm.

ai.imgur.com_iQJawPV.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

In saying that, ever since I upped my light intensity to 100% and longer hours, I can see algae building up lot quicker than usual. I could see the algae building up on the return, the old Acropora and also on the wall glass. I'm assuming this go to do with my Po4 number, which at the moment, I don't have test kit for it yet (still waiting for Hanna 736).

Fingers crossed the green Acropora will be fine :)

Finally got time to take FTS (not the best picture :p):
ai.imgur.com_xB3PC1x.jpg

Last edited:

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
@potatocouch, I noticed that you said you have your light on 100%? And you have a CADE!!! :)

I've noticed that the older kessils i needed at 100% but the new kessils I only need at around 40 to 50%. They can be difficult to gauge and will definitely bleach corals if not careful. So I'd keep a look out for that.

Re your water temp, best thing I've seen for temp regulation is a fan you attach on the side. They may seem a little silly but they do wonders for bringing in cool air. @MagicJ Having a device that sms' me the temperature of my tank while at work would stress me out. haha. If it went too high I'd be wanting to race home and fix it!!

Also, what have you increased your hours of light to? Longer hours doesnt necessarily mean better coral growth or health.

RE your question about two kessils, your structure is alot more flatter than mine. So you get better coverage. When I was forced to have only one kessil (while I waited for the second to come after the first died), I noticed the spread would have been sufficient for acros directly under but may suffer on the side. One would definitely be enough for softies though.

BTW, your coraline algae is epic! And is that a sunburst anthia to the left in that photo?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
@potatocouch, I noticed that you said you have your light on 100%? And you have a CADE!!! :) I've noticed that the older kessils i needed at 100% but the new kessils I only need at around 40 to 50%. They can be difficult to gauge and will definitely bleach corals if not careful. So I'd keep a look out for that.
Hi @Darkspartan thanks for the reply :) yes, it was 50% few months back then was raised gradually to 75% then now 100%. I'm going to observe how the 100% intensity impact the happiness of the corals and if needed to, will dial down. I've actually was concerned hence I asked Billy from Aquaristic and he said for SPS (can't remember exactly if he said SPS or Acros) his Kessil was set to 100% and I think his one is A360WE. But yes, I will need to see how this 100% goes and adjust :)

Re your water temp, best thing I've seen for temp regulation is a fan you attach on the side. They may seem a little silly but they do wonders for bringing in cool air.
One thing that surprise me, summer time here in Australia, I hardly noticed the heater went on. Once or twice at dawn yes and looking back, it was so silly of me. I thought that my heater was playing up and bought myself a new heater ... but I think that heater (which I have thrown out now) was working properly. I always think the water temp should be fairly warm (when I dipped my hand in) but in fact, at 25-27c, it feels quite cold. Lesson learned :)

Also, what have you increased your hours of light to? Longer hours doesnt necessarily mean better coral growth or health.
It was from 9 hours to 10 hours period ... I did a quick survey and research on what lighting period people are on and they were like on the average of 11 to 12 hours per day. I thought 10 hours should suffice (i think).

BTW, your coraline algae is epic! And is that a sunburst anthia to the left in that photo?
That coralline algae has been growing ever since I started watching the Mg, Alk & Ca parameters and also being me, lazy to scrap them off :rofl

Yes, that is a Sunburst Anthias.. had it for approx. 3 months now; fussy eater ... don't want to eat flakes, kinda picky on Mysis shrimp but loves its Brine (according to some, this food is like chips, no nutrients but taste good).

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Dear diary,

Latest water parameters (as of 19/03/ & 20/03 2016):
ai.imgur.com_k9SrQPn.jpg

ai.imgur.com_kcgNWto.jpg

ai.imgur.com_ItMhZLl.jpg

Salinity 1.026 SG (26~27 Celsius).

Po4 & No3 were last tested by LFS using Sera on Saturday 19/03/2016 measuring 0 ppm on both parameters. Not too convinced about these parameters as I don't believe Sera will be able to measure ultra low numbers and I'm also still noticing hair algae. Hanna 736 checker is required !!! :banghead

Mg, Alk & Ca were all tested by me using Salifert (expiry 2018-2020) on Sunday 20/03/2016.

Dosage regime as of Sunday, 20/03/2016:
  • Magnesium as required (usually once off or few times) just to hit the sweet spot of 1,350 ppm using Red Sea Foundation A.
    • I do have concern about this as I can't keep purchasing supplement and not ready yet to do my own mix of Mg so thinking of switching to Red Sea Pro salt but has a concern about its high Alk (12.7 dKH) --- still researching and asking question.

• Alkalinity 4 ml/daily using Red Sea Foundation B.

• Calcium 4 ml/daily using Red Sea Foundation A.

• Carbon dosing 1 ml/nightly using Red Sea NO3: PO4-X.
    • NoPox dosage has been reduced significantly from 6 ml/nightly to 1 ml/nightly as Po4 and No3 has reach 0 ppm. Need to observe how quickly these 2 parameters will elevate over the week.

Last edited: