Tank Journal Archive

jart

Apr 10, 2015
My Journey So Far
Hi,

Thanks to all for contributing to a great forum. I have learned a lot and been inspired often by browsing over many months. I only became a member a few days ago and have already received some helpful advice to a question I posed. Thanks.

Thought I would introduce myself and detail a little of my reef journey thus far.

I started my marine journey about 15 months ago, initially with a 400L corner tank, after years of keeping various basic tropical fish. Got hooked, learned a lot, made a few mistakes all in the first 4-5 months.

Things stabilised and were going really well for a few months - healthy and happy fish, growing corals - then disaster, almost my greatest fear. Cracked sump and spilled 50-80L of salty water all over my relatively new hardwood floor. Luckily we were in the room at the time and managed to clean up most of it fairly quickly - only minor damage/cupping to floor.

Relocated contents of tank straight away to a spare tank, a 2ft cube, that I had upstairs. Not optimal in either space or timing, but needed to empty main tank, at the very least to get at all the water that had seeped underneath the stand. Then a hard decision, but the right one at the time - floor worth way more than tank, so decision to decommision downstairs tank and keep 2ft cube upstairs. The next month was rough - lost one of our favourite fish to suicide one night, another just refused to eat after the move and eventually died, lost some of our favourite corals to the various swings in the tank chemistry before it settled.

I still loved the tank, but its position upstairs meant that the rest of the family no longer spent time each day staring at it, as had become our habit. After a few months of this I decided to try to find good new homes for my livestock and corals and then decommision the tank. Contributing factor was our desire to go on a multi-week holiday in the not too distant future.

But I couldn't do it! Still love the tank and all my cool little friends that are in my care within my tiny slice of the reef. Change of heart and a decision to start researching a way to get a new tank downstairs while having the absolute minimum risk of major water spillage.

Have started gathering components for the new build. At this stage planning a 4-5 foot AIO with a intank sump large enough to take my full size H&H skimmer, a fuge and media chamber. However, if I happen across anyone selling a well put together full system with sump and good plumbing would consider that too.

Not fussed if this planning, design and procurement phase takes a few months. Tank currently looking a little bare, but going to wait until my new tank is stable in a few months before ramping things up again.

Current tank inhabitants:
* pair occelaris clowns
* small yellow clown goby
* citrinis goby
* yellow assessor
* coral banded shrimp
* cuc

Corals:
* large cushion coral
* a few different zoas
* a pair of small hammers
* red and blue morphs

Take care, J

Last edited:

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
The reefuge forums a bit quiet at the moment but that's no reason not to give a
:welcome

Enjoy your time here.
Start a tank journal mate , I've seen tank journals on this forum run for six months without getting wet. :p

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
:welcome

I know it is always a risk, but I wouldn't be basing too many of the design decisions on the possibility of a sump cracking in the future. Let's face it, a sump is just another glass tank and your main display is just as likely to crack which, thankfully, doesn't happen very often. BTW, a sump can just be a large plastic container if that makes you happier - that's what I used for the first 3 years of my reefing adventure.

If you have had a sump in the past I suspect that you won't ever be happy with some type of AIO tank - there are just too many compromises that need to be made to work with the restricted space available.

Unlike Hobart, there are regularly very nice tanks available for sale in Sydney so I am sure something suitable will pop up at some stage.

Cheers

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I use 1000 litre Rubbermaid stock watering tanks as sumps in the shop. I have a LOT of water to collect if a pump shuts down or the generator doesn't fire up in the event of a power outage.

jart

Apr 10, 2015
After digesting everyone's feedback, and also doing a rough physical mockup of my possible AIO (put some temp panels in my existing sump to simulate approx space in certain chambers of my theoretical in-tank sump and played around with things), I have ended up moving away from the AIO idea and going back to a sump below the display. :) Actually committed to buying a fellow member's superceded tank as they have upgraded.

The three main things that swayed me away from the AIO idea:

* although I could fit my full size H&H skimmer in a 20 x 25cm chamber, it was going to be painful. Having such a small chamber with little wiggle room meant that inserting the skimmer into the chamber was a drama - had to go in VERY vertically, meaning that I needed the 60cm height of the skimmer free above the lip of the sump. Plus the small chamber meant that it seemed like I was getting a sort of vacuum effect on the intake side that meant my usual setting resulted in nowhere near the usual amount of bubbles (ie. skimmer couldn't work even with adjustment gate almost fully closed). Having an even wider in-tank sump area to make things easier to access would have reduced the size of the DT by too much.

* if I couldn't use my existing skimmer due to the above size constraints then I was left with needing to buy something with a smaller footprint like a Tunze 90xx. Budget constraints then started to come into the picture.

* lastly, my idea was to buy a nice second hand tank (4ft). After a few weeks of searching and searching I have come to realise that not many freshwater aquarists with 4ft tanks like to invest in a starphire/low iron glass tank with polished edges and no black plastic corners! :) I am sure there are some around, but not sure when I will ever see one for sale.

So, I have done my months of investigations and concluded that I will be moving forward with a nice setup from a fellow reefer on the forum whose tank journal I have long admired - DT up above and sump down below. I will make sure it is eventually setup with all the usual best practice fail safes to try to minimise the chance of overflow or water on my floor (more a case of double-checking that the previous owner had all the bases covered, which I am sure they did).

Can't wait to pick up the tank next week and get this next leg of my marine adventure started. Going to try to take it slow, put it together right from the start and then sit back and watch it, hopefully, mature and bloom.

Here is a pic of my first tank, the 400L corner, a few weeks before the ill-fated mini-disaster.

Fish list - small blue tank, a banggai cardinal, a pair of oc clowns, a pair of different gobies.

Corals - couple diff zoas, torch, a few nice hammers, a green lobo, some morphs, lavendar clove polyps, a green scolly, a green cushion and a

ai18.photobucket.com_albums_b137_jshowyin_Fish_20Pics_20140515FishTank_FTS_zps81f3a168.jpg