Tank Journal Archive

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
My New Obsession Begins...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
What started as a Xmas present idea for my wife has quickly escalated into my new obsession! With much help from Dave at Deer Park I now have a magnificent cube of water and rock cycling in my kitchen. I'm not sure which direction the tank will eventually take, the first step will be FOWLR, but I would like to move on to SPS corals as I learn more about the dark art of reef keeping. I have found a lot of inspiration from the journals on this forum, and especially admire Wrangy's cube. I'm also preferring this forum at the moment to the others out there, both in format and content.

I hope you will all tolerate my noob questions and won't hold back if you see me making mistakes.

It's not much to look at yet, but here's a crappy photo of my rockscape, which is still getting tweaked every few days!

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Fire away mate! All the best on your journey.

Here at The Reefuge you'll experience a culture that is the richest amoung forums and develop good friendships.

The advice is second to none and everyone is willing to help anyone out!

I am sure @Wrangy will be stoked to here how much you admire his cube!

Welcome to the forum!! :)

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Hi mate,

Just a question for the members that might help you.

I'm wondering whether that red macro algae you have is the type that will grow quickly and spread in your tank and whether you should clip it back now?

Also, is it the type of red macro algae that would do well kept in the sump?

Would like other's opinions.

Cheers,
Glenn

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Welcome to the Reefuge. Ask away and we all live pics. So keep posting ! :)

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Welcome to the forum!! :)
Thanks Dean!

I'm wondering whether that red macro algae you have is the type that will grow quickly and spread in your tank and whether you should clip it back now?
Hi Glenn. I was told not to worry about it, and that the first few herbivores that go into the tank will make short work of cleaning it up.

This scenario reminds me of Homer and the bowling ball....... :p
You've just given me a great idea for her birthday present!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Well, congrats on the new tank mate :D you're going to love the cade, especially because you got the new design! I'm terribly jealous of you as the older model is a bit of a pain at times haha
You've also got a huge head start on everyone else new to the hobby by joining such an involved forum with lots of knowledge but you're also buying from the best in the business. Dave is one of the best and will really look after you so you're in good hands :) if you ever see a bearded redhead in the store feel free to come say hello! I only bite a little ;) haha

I'm both humbled that you admire my tank, if I can inspire one person I'm happy! If you ever have any questions to do with anything! Please ask and ask as much as you want too :)

You're right about the red algae, I highly doubt it'll give you any trouble :) it'll get eaten or die off and if it doesn't it's easy to remove manually too!