Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My Newly Acquired Broodstock - Lysmata Vittata (peppermint Shrimp)
Intended as a stepping stone between breeding Clowns and Orchid Dottybacks, I have acquired 4 Peppermint shrimp as my initial brood stock.

The species available in Australia is Lysmata vittata, which is similar but with slightly different markings to the well known Lysmata wurdemanni.

PS-1.jpg

PS-2.jpg

A few of them are still quite small so I don't expect too much to happen for a while.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Great to see. I was pondering with having a crack at these as well but not sure if I can deal with the heart break.

What is your set up like?

Are your following April kirkendolls methods?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Heart break is definitiely a likely outcome :eek but each little step you take improves your knowledge and, hopefully, leads to some success eventually.

I am currently trying to source a BRT - that's what the Americans call them anyway - it stands for Black Round Tub :D The local hardware stores don't seem to have what I am after so I plan on trying a few farm produce type places - water trough type things. The lack of corners is better for the pelagic larvae as they don't like getting stuck in corners.

I am currently using a few stand alone tanks but am considering setting up a small centralised system later in the year - I can't see me ever having more than a couple of species on the go at any one time.

No, I haven't read April's book - there are quite a few breeding journals available now which go through the larval raising protocols in some detail. That being said, we don't seem to have the same availablity of various algae's, copepods etc that they do in America so I think some of it comes down to trial and error.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Who's journals are you going to base your methods on?

Will you be looking at using a vossens to snag them?

Im taking it by the food statement you are not looking at doing BBS?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I will provide some links shortly.

I have one of Chad Vossens snaggers (thanks @Fragalicious :) ) but I'm not sure I will use it for these, although I have read that it can be after 3am before they hatch sometimes!!. The larvae are very delicate but also extremely photo sensitive so if they hatch at a reasonable hour, a torch and cup/ladle works very well.

E

ezza

You are quite extraordinary in your breeding pursuits @MagicJ ! Good luck! I look forward to seeing the progress! How many tanks do you have?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
You are quite extraordinary in your breeding pursuits @MagicJ !
I wouldn't go that far, but I have got very interested in the breeding side of things over the past 12 months. Unfortunately, this has been to the detriment of my DT :rolleyes

Good luck! I look forward to seeing the progress! How many tanks do you have?
Not many - The Banggai's are doing there thing in my DT at the moment. I have a small 2' tank setup for the Orchids and a slightly smaller tank for the Peppermint Shrimp. I will be getting a black tub as soon as I can find one, and am currently considering getting a few tanks made and drilled so that I can set up a small centralised system with sump etc.

I do need to find a way to keep everything warm - I have the small tanks in a Colourbond shed which is starting to get pretty cold of a night time (and not warming up much during the day). It is a large shed so I am thinking of framing up a small room inside with lots of insulation - but, I think I will leave this for another 6 months or so to see if I am still enthusiastic about this breeding caper :)

Last edited:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
What about a pre-formed pond? My local nursery-pond shop keeps the koi in them.

Bunnings have something like it:
http://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-1100mm-heavy-duty-round-preformed-pond_p2813978
Thanks @ezza - they are a bit big for what I want (and too expensive for what I would like!)

I need something with a diameter of around 600mm - if it's too big it is impossible to keep the density of prey items high enough, and if is too small then you quickly have water quality issues. So, around 600mm diameter and 300mm deep is sort of what I had in mind.

E

ezza

Thanks @ezza - they are a bit big for what I want (and too expensive for what I would like!)

I need something with a diameter of around 600mm - if it's too big it is impossible to keep the density of prey items high enough, and if is too small then you quickly have water quality issues. So, around 600mm diameter and 300mm deep is sort of what I had in mind.
You could get a garden pot and fill the holes with aquaknead it. Or one of those tub trugs people use for drinks at parties. ...

http://www.bunnings.com.au/25l-assorted-flexible-storage-tub_p2582519
$4! Just a but small I spose.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
E

ezza

most certainly @MagicJ , ask your Bunnings if they will price match? They have the buying power to do so.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks @NiCd - probably not wide enough. I need it to be around 600mm diameter.

I am still looking though as I still have not been able to find what I need locally. I think I will be ordering from Melbourne in the next day or so.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Are you looking at doing it really shallow?

I am only speaking from readings and you probably have a lot better info than me so i am asking more to be corrected, most of what I have seen is suggesting 5l containers for at least the first 15 days, some people settling 100 in 5l containers.

What volume are you looking at focusing on?

Last edited: