Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
There is more than one way to raise these - and everyone that is successful will tell you that their way is best :)

From my reading, maintaining excellent water quality is paramount - this is difficult to do with small water volumes, although you do need to balance this against the need for high food densities.

I am looking to use around 40l of water initially.

Disclaimer - I haven't actually tried raising these yet so I reserve the right to change my mind if things don't work out :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
This is what I am looking for http://sunshoweronline.com.au/ubbin...d-600mm-wide?gclid=COrzkpbA178CFUh8vQodgLIA7A. There has to be somewhere in Hobart that sells these - if not, the postage cost of $24 seems reasonable or $36 for 2.

Or maybe these http://www.malvernirrigation.com.au/products/category/?name=roundpond.
After trying for 2 weeks to find something like this in Hobart I gave up and decided to order on-line.

Malvern Irrigation won't post these ponds so they were crossed off the list. Sunshower Online were more expensive but would post for a reasonable fee so I ordered two from them on Monday. Jut received a phone call to advise that they were out of stock and wouldn't have any more until mid September :banghead

It shouldn't be this hard to spend my money o_0

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Is there no one in Tassie that sells aquaculture, ponds, livestock watering troughs or rainwater tanks that has anything? I didn't think you guys were quite so isolated down there...

Speak to your local plumbing wholesaler or livestock/farm supplier (if you havent already thought of these) as to what poly troughs they can get because you are right, it shouldnt be so hard to spend your money!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@VaultBoy, I was actually going to visit an agricultural supply place at lunch time today, but had to pick my sick daughter up from school and so didn't make it. I might get a chance to go to another one tomorrow morning...

It seems that ponds are not a big thing in Hobart :rolleyes

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
@VaultBoy, I was actually going to visit an agricultural supply place at lunch time today, but had to pick my sick daughter up from school and so didn't make it. I might get a chance to go to another one tomorrow morning...

It seems that ponds are not a big thing in Hobart :rolleyes
Inconsiderate child... ;) I would definately check the ag supply stores they will have a variety of shapes and sizes of tubs for a variety of farm purposes!

Dave001

Mar 3, 2013
Morayfield
I just keep track of the hatch dates and set up the larvael snagger a day before I expect them to hatch again. I keep the Peppermint's in the Banggai's tank, leave the return running (would be about 350LPH), drop in the snagger, they normally release them within a couple of hours after lights out, if they don't hatch, I just leave the snagger in there until the next night.

I made a DIY larvael snagger from info I found on one of the forums, it didn't work very well, so I modified it, works perfectly now.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

The little cut out I added at the bottom of the intake tube, together with a low power LED are the trick to the getting the snagger to work correctly, you need the light to be in the tube, not shooting across the tank, you want just enough light to attract the shrimp, with the LED pointing into the cutout, the fry/larvae swim directly into the snagger, not just swarm around it. Only use enough air to get the water moving in the snagger, you don't need much.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I currently have two shrimp carrying eggs which I anticipate will hatch in the next 3-4 days - I plan to try and catch as many of these as possible and see how long I can keep them alive.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I am not expecting immediate success as it often takes a while to work out a rearing protocol that meets the needs of the developing shrimp but can be managed within my somewhat limited time each day.

I am also mindful of a weeks holiday we have booked in Sydney in early October :rolleyes

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have been putting the snagger on the past few nights as I was expecting a hatch to be close.

I have also been turning the lights off a bit earlier than usual so I don't have to be mucking around in the middle of the night if a hatch does occur. I checked last night at around 9.30 pm and there was nothing - I wasn't sure if a hatch was likely so, just in case, I left the snagger going.

As it turned out, a hatch did occur and I had 50+ larvae in the snagger this morning. However, I didn't have time to set up the larval tank and the best I could do was put some newly hatched brine shrimp into the snagger and hope for the best.

The snagger does act like a mini kreisel tank so hopefully some will survive until I can sort them out after work tonight.

Another shrimp is due to have a hatch in the next few days so that should give me some more larvae to work with.