Tank Journal Archive

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Nano Haddoni Carpet Anemone Tank Journal
Returning after 23+ years from marines, I was extremely impressed with the range of quality products, knowledge and available information. Researched intensely for weeks, with countless hours...etc, and decided to convert and dedicate my Juwel 120lt tank for a collection of haddoni carpet anemones. Despite information/advise against housing anemones in such a small volume of water, I was prepared for the challenge, as I'm extremely dedicated to these wonderful anemones.

Researched the Redsea & Zeovit system, and decided the RedSea route, as they responded to my many emails, and my LFS stocked their products, and heard great things about their Pro Salt Mix......

The RedSea Mature Kit was great, and followed the instructions accurately but found my nitrates level exceeding their calc, due to the amount of live rocks the tank etc.....within 30 days, my nitrates were undetectable, and phosphates @ <0.02pm.

Tank Summary
Tank - Juwel Lido 120
Filter/Flow - Juwel Internal Filter (Foam Pads) , Fluval G3 (1st tray - Fine & Course Polyfibre and 2nd tray - 50% Media (for a tad of biological filtration with carbon in the
internal cannister) & 2 x Hydor Movement Pump (1600 l/h)

Despite mix reviews, I decided to use the Juwel Protein Skimmer to match the tank. It's rated for 500lt, so at 120lt, I suspect it'll suffice.

Cleaning crew did a great job, with no fatalities....

2 weeks after the completion of the initial cycle, the 1st haddoni (tan) was introduced.....WP tested daily, with a 5% WC conducted every 2-3 days. Gradually introduced more anemones over the period do 2-3 weeks, and today, the tank is housing 5 x haddoni's (red, blue, purple, green & tan). Continuing with the WC regiment, but a 10% WC 24 hours after feeding th anemones as phosphates spikes from <0.02 to 0.08, per the hanna phosphorus egg..... the redsea phosphate test kit is also used/tested, as a reference. Nitrates remain undetectable. Continued with the RedSea NO3:PO4-x @ 2ml per day.

Pics and updates to follow....

Last edited:

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Returning after 23+ years from marines, I was extremely impressed with the range of quality products, knowledge and available information. Researched intensely for weeks, with countless hours...etc, and decided to convert and dedicate my Juwel 120lt tank for a collection of haddoni carpet anemones. Despite information/advise against housing anemones in such a small volume of water, I was prepared for the challenge, as I'm extremely dedicated to these wonderful anemones.

Researched the Redsea & Zeovit system, and decided the RedSea route, as they responded to my many emails, and my LFS stocked their products, and heard great things about their Pro Salt Mix......

The RedSea Mature Kit was great, and followed the instructions accurately but found my nitrates level exceeding their calc, due to the live rocks I the tanks etc.....within 30 days, my nitrates were undetectable, and phosphates @ <0.02pm.

Tank Summary
Tank - Juwel Lido 120
Filter/Flow - Juwel Internal Filter (Foam Pads) , Fluval G3 (1st tray - Fine & Course Polyfibre and 2nd tray - 50% Media (for a tad of biological filtration with carbon in the
internal cannister) & 2 x Hydor Movement Pump (1600 l/h)

Despite mix reviews, I decided to use the Juwel Protein Skimmer to match the tank. It's rated for 500lt, so at 120lt, I suspect it'll suffice.

Cleaning crew did a great job, with no fatalities....

2 weeks after the completion of the initial cycle, the 1st haddoni (tan) was introduced.....WP tested daily, with a 5% WC conducted every 2-3 days. Gradually introduced more anemones over the period do 2-3 weeks, and today, the tank is housing 5 x haddoni's (red, blue, purple, green & tan). Continuing with the WC regiment, but a 10% WC 24 hours after feeding th anemones as phosphates spikes from <0.02 to 0.08, per the hanna phosphorus egg..... the redsea phosphate test kit is also used/tested, as a reference. Nitrates remain undetectable. Continued with the RedSea NO3:pO4-x @ 2ml per day.

Pics and updates to follow....
Wow dude.. pass on one of those coloured haddonis man. Thats unbelievable collection. Got any pictures??

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Wow following along, although I will have to live my Haddoni dreams through your TJ.

I've seen a couple in LFS, they came in around Christmas and they have kept them in their tank. I must say they have not flourished and they are not as dense as when first came in, or Ive just been there at the wrong time.

this is going to be an awesome thread, keep us updated with your redsea findings as well..

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
All anemones with the exception of the red, has planted themselves where I've positioned them. Though a couple of the haddoni placements weren't great .... Never been great with scaping :-( Pretty sure the red consumed 1 of 2 damsel in the tank, and decided to relocate there after. Attempting to get it to move by shadow (rock over the top, to create a shadow over it), and Plan B will be with "ice of foot technique".

Nitrates remain undetectable, but huge spike in phosphates within 24 hours after feeding them. Phosphates pre feed - 0.016 vs Phosphates post feed - 0.16 (Using Hanna ULR Phosporus, converted to PPM - x 3.066 / 1000). Future feeding plan is to alternate feeding of anemones, 1-2 per day, 2-3 days apart with a 5-10% WC 12 hours after each feed. Utilising phosphate pads & Saechem Phosgaurd ATM.

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
what are you feeding them
Just on weekly feeds ATM.

Menu
Week 1 - Freshly caught and selected Snapper
Week 2 - Entree - Frozen Spirulina Brine Shrimp, and Main - Freshly caught and selected Dhufish
Week 3 - Fresh Tiger Prawn
....LOL,

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Has your Zeovit arrived? Did you get the Zeo stones as well?
The LFS / WA distributor is a absolute joke.....on 5 separate occasion, was told the stock would be available, but never ever eventuates. Then ordered via the NZ distributor, and after 2-3 weeks enquired and was told the order was transfered to the WA distributor, and they failed to process, was out of stock......blah blah blah, so canceled my order.....that was 1-2 weeks ago. Went back the WA distributor on Friday, and waS again told that there'll be stock on Sunday, but guess what :-( crazy ! Gonna order from a overseas seller :-(

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Tested phosphorus 3 times today @ 6 hr intervals, and the results differed from 0.04, 0.11 & 0.08....will research and develop a solution to control this fluctuation....any suggestions, and/or ideas ?

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
I thought you decided redsea from the first post ?
Yes, but heard great results on zeobak & zeostart3, and wanted to experiment and try them out.....part of the journey to get the best system to house these anemones in such minimal water volume....