Reef Discussion

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
This is doing my head in..... after visiting 6 different stores today there are quite a few options. i think the fluval edge still looks the best but I can see why it isnt practical.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i would stick with ready mate tanks designed for salt water aquariums.
are you willing to do a custom build or ready mate?

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
I have the Blue planet serene vista for my tropical tank. You would not want to use the filter for a marine tank-it is like a typical canister filter with the usual sponge/bioballs and charcoal. I would remove the whole thing and leave the back open if possible. The Vista has an area to put a skimmer into at the back-i don't know if the paradiso has the same. I don't think that the LEDS that come with this are strong enough for corals -would be fine for FOWLR . I have these LEDS on the Vista .You could add to them though. Go into PetBarn -they have these tanks and look at them in person. You could remove the part of the hood that has the lights in it and also suspend other LEDS over the tank instead. If you actually look at it, the hood part that has the lighting in it is not made of a very strong material and could not carry a lot of weight affixed to it.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
i would stick with ready mate tanks designed for salt water aquariums.
are you willing to do a custom build or ready mate?
I think Matt is right
Also i think that with the paradiso you would get water splashing on the lights and salt creep if they were ni the hood if it is anything like the Vista

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
What should my budget be for a tank that includes what I need for marine? And is there somewhere on the coast worth visiting to buy one or is it better online?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
first answer a few things
what size do you want?
50L
100L
150L
200L
300L

do you want an all in one or a tank with sump.

as i said before you are welcome to come checkout my system and have a chat.

for a tank fully setup i would be budgeting $1000-$5000
that is dependent on how high quality the lights, how high quality filters, live rock live stock,sand, test kits and products, chillers heaters return pumps FBF's etc etc etc

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
first answer a few things
what size do you want?
50L
100L
150L
200L
300L

do you want an all in one or a tank with sump.

as i said before you are welcome to come checkout my system and have a chat.

for a tank fully setup i would be budgeting $1000-$5000
that is dependent on how high quality the lights, how high quality filters, live rock live stock,sand, test kits and products, chillers heaters return pumps FBF's etc etc etc
Ok i was thinkIng 50-100l . I had a look at a red sea 130 today as well as a all in one jebo at aquarium warehouse. . A massive price difference between 2 similar size tanks. . My budget for tank and a starter kit was around 700 but its looking like a bit more

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
think ill be going the jebo unless someone knows of a place I can get my hands on a rdm 130 at a better price. $495 vs $1300 pretty much seals the deal.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
This was my nano tank at its best. It is an Aqua one AR 620 ( This would be a boring tank for you to modify) removed the hood to upgrade the lighting to LED.
It had no sump, just a hang on back skimmer. It ran great after I discovered a good quality salt brand.

Attachments

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i can see the extra $$$ the tank looks 100x better, and works better!,
the RSM has better pumps, better lights, a better layout, higher quality glass,
and isnt a shitty curved front!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
i can see the extra $$$ the tank looks 100x better, and works better!,
the RSM has better pumps, better lights, a better layout, higher quality glass,
and isnt a shitty curved front!
Totally agree, the red sea is really the way forward.
Less stress on your creatures will lead to a booming tank. I have seen some glamous red sea tanks. They are really cheap for what they are.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
ok so the rs is definitely a better setup... would there be anything needing an upgrade if I got it?
You may need a chiller and auto top off, you can get dosing pumps when you turn pro...Nothing in the red sea tank needs upgrading.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
if you stick to suitable corals you wont need to add anything. if you wanted latter on you could upgrade the skimmer , you could also upgrade the lights later on.

i was seriously going to buy a RSM130 to replace my current setup, i was planning to add an illumagic alc advance 60c to it.
i figured i would be easily able to cut an oval in the lid and it would fit perfect ;)

they are a great setup for the price. if you are interested i have a friend selling a first gen RSM130? for like 600?

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
if you stick to suitable corals you wont need to add anything. if you wanted latter on you could upgrade the skimmer , you could also upgrade the lights later on.

i was seriously going to buy a RSM130 to replace my current setup, i was planning to add an illumagic alc advance 60c to it.
i figured i would be easily able to cut an oval in the lid and it would fit perfect ;)

they are a great setup for the price. if you are interested i have a friend selling a first gen RSM130? for like 600?
yeh definitely interested. Is it in good condition? How old?